2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

30 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

We also are bringing back Will Harris, which makes me think an Okudah trade could happen this year.  If we draft a CB, we will either have to cut Lucas or move Okudah.  Cutting Lucas is a better option for overall depth but Okudah would likely get something back as far as compensation.  

We could be looking at a depth chart of

LCB - Okudah, Jacobs

SCB - Sutton, Harris, Lucas

RCB - Mosley

or

LCB - Mosley, Jacobs

SCB - Harris, Lucas

RCB - Sutton, Okudah

It would really depend on what they think of Okudah and his progression. We're probably looking at around 10 DB's altogether on the active roster (6 CB's, 4 S). 

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

We could be looking at a depth chart of

LCB - Okudah, Jacobs

SCB - Sutton, Harris, Lucas

RCB - Mosley

or

LCB - Mosley, Jacobs

SCB - Harris, Lucas

RCB - Sutton, Okudah

It would really depend on what they think of Okudah and his progression. We're probably looking at around 10 DB's altogether on the active roster (6 CB's, 4 S). 

If they want Sutton to play a lot of slot snaps then I could still see us bringing in another outside CB via the draft. Okudah does have some experience playing inside so if you wanted to try and salvage him that's a place to start.

However, it feels more likely that the writing is on the wall for him and he won't be a Lion by this time next year (one way or another). 

This is another move that seems to make the most sense if the Lions are looking to make one or more trades.  There isn't much detail but they apparently "re-negotiated" Charles Harris's contract.  This draft class seems pretty deep with respect to pass-rushing/Edge prospects.  Hutchinson, Houston and Pascal provide a lot of juice along with John Cominsky.  Brad Holmes must have some potential deals brewing.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2023/03/charles-harris-a-potential-cap-casualty-reworks-contract-to-stay-in-detroit.html

20 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

This is another move that seems to make the most sense if the Lions are looking to make one or more trades.  There isn't much detail but they apparently "re-negotiated" Charles Harris's contract.  This draft class seems pretty deep with respect to pass-rushing/Edge prospects.  Hutchinson, Houston and Pascal provide a lot of juice along with John Cominsky.  Brad Holmes must have some potential deals brewing.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2023/03/charles-harris-a-potential-cap-casualty-reworks-contract-to-stay-in-detroit.html

21 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Per Field Yates, Lions "renegotiated" contract of Charles Harris, adding almost $3m in capspace.

Interesting that he said renegotiated and not restructured. I'm waiting to see what exactly they did. 

I'm gonna guess it's a paycut. We could've just cut him this year and saved 4M. We save 3M now and keep a veteran, so it's a good split.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miblue said:

A WR will be taken with one of our top 5 picks….kinda hopin its JSN….

my current hot draft take 

It wouldn't shock me. I don't think that they would take JSN because I don't see us taking one early enough for him to be there and I think he projects to fill a very similar role to ARSB. 

I do think that they're really counting on Jameson taking a big step foward next year and filling Chark's role. 

At this point you almost need to draft a receiver every year. You're going to need at least 5 of them. Receiver contracts are getting pretty out of hand and there is always going to be someone to replace, either because someone wants too much money or you need to add depth or whatever. We could certainly add some depth at the position - get a younger guy that can contribute on special teams and on a few plays this year and get them ready to step up for Reynolds next year. Guys like Khalif Raymond are certainly replaceable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

If they want Sutton to play a lot of slot snaps then I could still see us bringing in another outside CB via the draft. Okudah does have some experience playing inside so if you wanted to try and salvage him that's a place to start.

However, it feels more likely that the writing is on the wall for him and he won't be a Lion by this time next year (one way or another). 

I think he would make a decent S given he is a solid tackler.  That may be a way to salvage his career and allow him to play some slot man coverage at times.  I still don't trust Walker to be full go just given how others with similar injuries take extra time to recover or dont get back to their old self ever.  And may not have Elliott either so we have a spot or two for a S.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think he would make a decent S given he is a solid tackler.  That may be a way to salvage his career and allow him to play some slot man coverage at times.  I still don't trust Walker to be full go just given how others with similar injuries take extra time to recover or dont get back to their old self ever.  And may not have Elliott either so we have a spot or two for a S.  

Agreed. I think they want him to develop and play outside but would be open to trying to figure out if he can play in a Will Harris type role and maybe develop into something different and have some form of success. 

2 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

It wouldn't shock me. I don't think that they would take JSN because I don't see us taking one early enough for him to be there and I think he projects to fill a very similar role to ARSB. 

I do think that they're really counting on Jameson taking a big step foward next year and filling Chark's role. 

At this point you almost need to draft a receiver every year. You're going to need at least 5 of them. Receiver contracts are getting pretty out of hand and there is always going to be someone to replace, either because someone wants too much money or you need to add depth or whatever. We could certainly add some depth at the position - get a younger guy that can contribute on special teams and on a few plays this year and get them ready to step up for Reynolds next year. Guys like Khalif Raymond are certainly replaceable. 

I think we need a tall, big bodied receiver to replace Chark's X role. Someone who can beat press man without motioning. In the first that'd be Quinton Johnston. In later rounds, I'll have to do some research.

8 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I think we need a tall, big bodied receiver to replace Chark's X role. Someone who can beat press man without motioning. In the first that'd be Quinton Johnston. In later rounds, I'll have to do some research.

There aren't a lot of bigger receivers in this year's draft. You're looking at guys like Rashee Rice or Cedric Tillman if you want someone taller and bigger. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

A Slay reunion would be great (at least short term). A 2 year deal for $24M with an $8M 2023 cap hit. 

I don't see the Lions doing that. Just signed two good younger guys and its a deep CB draft. If he were available before we signed Sutton/Moseley, it might have been more realistic. Now, they have other needs.

• Like 2