2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

10 hours ago, General Tso said:

I think they may be waiting till after the draft to sign a veteran. Trying to smokescreen their interest in a QB at 6.

I had wanted them to pick up Minshew as a backup for Hard Knocks. That would have been so much entertainment value.

Still think he's a MCDC fit who is a capable backup. To bad he signed already.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Dan Campbell also said at the combine that they are definitely looking at QBs but just have to decide when in the draft it makes sense and that they know Goff isn't going to be here forever.  Holmes also mentioned wanting to get a QB to develop which means a younger QB at least that has room for growth.  I'd fully expect us to take one in the draft, especially with the holes filled in FA that we did. 

Same - whether that ends up being a first round guy to sit for a year or two or more of a backup/project type. I could see them taking someone like O'Connell, Haener, or McKee. 

• Like 2

Take it for what it's worth, but it's being reported that the Lions offered Jamaal the same deal they gave Montgomery but gave a deadline to accept it so they didn't miss out on signing someone else if he didn't take it. Sounds like Jamaal's agent missed the deadline trying to get a better offer and Lions moved on while Jamaal got a significantly smaller deal from the Saints. If I were Jamaal, I'd be finding a new agent, if this is true. RBs don't have long NFL careers, $6 million is a lot to leave on the table. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Take it for what it's worth, but it's being reported that the Lions offered Jamaal the same deal they gave Montgomery but gave a deadline to accept it so they didn't miss out on signing someone else if he didn't take it. Sounds like Jamaal's agent missed the deadline trying to get a better offer and Lions moved on while Jamaal got a significantly smaller deal from the Saints. If I were Jamaal, I'd be finding a new agent, if this is true. RBs don't have long NFL careers, $6 million is a lot to leave on the table. 

I read that as well and thought the same thing. Someone got some bad advice and left a place that loved him and were willing to pay him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Ugh.  I really hope we find a better option from the college ranks.  Here is hoping Jake Moody makes the short ride from Ann Arbor to Detroit.

I'm hoping for Moody as well. He's young and has a damn good leg. But its a good move by the Lions to fill holes in free agency and just draft talent. Everything is on the table. 

The way the off season has gone is going to make for a fun draft this year. We can go in any direction. This is not to say we don't have any holes, we do, but we are definitely in a good situation for making a much more deeper roster.

I'd be fine with the following at 6:

QB - Stroud

WR - I'd be fine with a reciever (although I don't think there is one worth it at 6 this year)

Edge - I like Murphy a lot, but more at 18. He might be a reach at 6. Will Anderson Jr, Tyree Wilson

DT - Carter - I know they would do their due diligence on him. Talent wise he's a no brainer.

OT - *Skoronski - I'd play him at G and move him to RT when Decker's contract is up. I'd be drafting him for a future RT and breaking him in slowly. Paris Johnson Jr. I'd do the same as with Skoronski.

CB - Witherspoon and Gonzalez and in that order.

I think you could pick any position (considering positional value) and be ok. Super excited about this draft this year. It's the first time in I don't know how long where I feel we don't have glaring holes that have to be filled and the team is going to be deeper because of it and we are not relying on a rookie to pull us through.

*might be a little high here.

Edited by LionArkie

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Where's this report coming from?

40 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

The way the off season has gone is going to make for a fun draft this year. We can go in any direction. This is not to say we don't have any holes, we do, but we are definitely in a good situation for making a much more deeper roster.

I'd be fine with the following at 6:

QB - Stroud

WR - I'd be fine with a reciever (although I don't think there is one worth it at 6 this year)

Edge - I like Murphy a lot, but more at 18. He might be a reach at 6. Will Anderson Jr, Tyree Wilson

DT - Carter - I know they would do their due diligence on him. Talent wise he's a no brainer.

OT - *Skoronski - I'd play him at G and move him to RT when Decker's contract is up. I'd be drafting him for a future RT and breaking him in slowly. Paris Johnson Jr. I'd do the same as with Skoronski.

CB - Witherspoon and Gonzalez and in that order.

I think you could pick any position (considering positional value) and be ok. Super excited about this draft this year. It's the first time in I don't know how long where I feel we don't have glaring holes that have to be filled and the team is going to be deeper because of it and we are not relying on a rookie to pull us through.

*might be a little high here.

I am not as excited about Tyree Wilson at 6 though and would be upset if we take Murphy there.  I'd rather trade down than draft either there and take an edge somewhere else.  I dont have Wilson that far ahead of everyone else and There are a ton of edges likely available at 18 or in the 2nd round range I'd be happy with.  I honestly think I would rather take Anthony Richardson there than either edge but still would prefer moving down and adding draft capital.  I feel like outside of the top two CBs, the rest of the pack in the 6-20 range are very similar prospects so its going to be about finding the best mentality amongst them.  

Also have to add Will Anderson.  I know its not likely but obviously if he is there I would be all for grabbing him to pair with Hutch and Houston on the edges.