2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Given we have never experienced it and plenty of teams are in cap hell while not being a contender, I would say Holmes is not like every other GM.  Many would try and restructure to push money forward or just cut them.  This taking a pay cut and staying on the team is new for us, and for many teams around the league.  I don't think this happens that often.  

Ok.  Let me re-phrase:  Brad Holmes is a good GM who is making smart moves in a decisive manner.  We definitely aren't used to that.

• Like 1

People were asking why the Lions were waiting to cut Vaitai/Romeo/Harris and now we know why. Holmes was working on keeping depth. But on much better deals while adding cap flexibility and not adding dead cap. It's absolutely brilliant and not something you hear about from other teams. 

Should be sitting around roughly $28 million in capspace now. Rookies will take up about $12 million. That leaves $16 million before doing something with Vaitai. You have to believe the Lions have one or two moves still on deck. 

• Like 2

With our most recent addition, I wanted to look at snap counts. 

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

• SCB: 153
  • RLB: 80
  • SS: 63
  • FS: 393

Emmanuel Moseley

• SCB: 3
  • RCB: 273

Cameron Sutton

• LCB: 51
  • RCB: 604
  • SCB: 185
  • RLB: 53
  • SS: 7

We've added two guys that have over 150 snaps at SCB and over 50 snaps at nickel LB (CGJ, CS). We've added two guys with a lot of experience playing outside (EM, CS). 

Tom Polisserro was on on GMFB. He was commenting on how the Lions had offered Jamaal $1M more per year than what he received in NO. So you'd be looking at a 3 year deal at $15M. They weren't coming to a deal and they didn't want to lose out on plan 1B in Montgomery, so they made him his offer (which he took). 

It's unfortunate but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Tom Polisserro was on on GMFB. He was commenting on how the Lions had offered Jamaal $1M more per year than what he received in NO. So you'd be looking at a 3 year deal at $15M. They weren't coming to a deal and they didn't want to lose out on plan 1B in Montgomery, so they made him his offer (which he took). 

It's unfortunate but it is what it is. 

I'm thinking the only thing Jamaal could have found disrespectful was being put on a timeline. If all what is said is true, Jamaal is probably really kicking himself right now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Even Lamar Jackson's mom isn't angrily tweeting out contract terms. Something tells me this guy isn't going to be in the industry for long. 

I get why they tweeted to be honest.  They are getting raked for their role in him taking less but if the deal from the Eagles was pretty much a two year, $7M deal that made him cut-able in year 3 so he doesnt see that 17M, you need to save face.  Now I don't think the tweet was clear in that regard, but I am guessing that is the sentiment of what happened.  So taking the one year deal is the smart move opposed to a two year 7M deal.  I am guessing the bad press without knowing details is more harmful to their company that  the tweet is, but I think they should have explained it better, even without using real numbers.  Just say "CJGJ was given a multi year offer from another team that was backloaded and not guaranteed, meaning he had very little chance of actually receiving those dollars and the one year deal is significantly more beneficial to the player" and you don't look like a salty agent.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I get why they tweeted to be honest.  They are getting raked for their role in him taking less but if the deal from the Eagles was pretty much a two year, $7M deal that made him cut-able in year 3 so he doesnt see that 17M, you need to save face.  Now I don't think the tweet was clear in that regard, but I am guessing that is the sentiment of what happened.  So taking the one year deal is the smart move opposed to a two year 7M deal.  I am guessing the bad press without knowing details is more harmful to their company that  the tweet is, but I think they should have explained it better, even without using real numbers.  Just say "CJGJ was given a multi year offer from another team that was backloaded and not guaranteed, meaning he had very little chance of actually receiving those dollars and the one year deal is significantly more beneficial to the player" and you don't look like a salty agent.  

One would think an agent would be skilled in PR.