2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

On 3/11/2023 at 9:29 AM, Louis Friend said:

Mechanics and accuracy can be tweaked (we saw Stafford's comp % go up slightly under Caldwell), but Richardson's is so poor to begin with, you're hoping he becomes mediocre and I don't like investing in that. 

Bryce Young is small, but there is literally nothing he cannot do at that size. He's not exactly playing at NDSU or Wayne State, he's played at Alabama and played against the same big defenders everyone covets in the draft. I think his size is being grossly overblown, but Houston is thrilled to steal him at #2.

I think Stroud is the #1 pick, as of right now. And he's a damn good prospect. That Michigan game really tainted people's perspective of him but he has two years of game film that says otherwise. Stroud will be the best QB in Panther history (even over Newton). Reich and Caldwell will coach him up, but they need to build around him. 

I hope 4 QBs go off the board and Carter slides to us. 🤞🏽

Josh Allen’s completion % has increased by over 10%. It will be up to the coach’s to decide if they can teach him. I believe Richardsons college completion rate was higher than Allen’s.

Suggesting that accuracy and mechanics can only be tweaked is not true in all cases. Richardson is going to be Jamarcus or Josh. Only time will tell.

5 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

"...best of which ever of Murphy, Van Ness, Kancey, Nolan, Adebawore ect are left at 18.  I think any of those guys really could go as high as 6 or still be there at 18."

I don't see any of them going near #6, tbh, only Murphy and possibly Nolan do I have as first round players.

I don’t see any of them going 6 either but media boards tend to catch up and occasionally change pretty  drastically by draft week.  I could definitely see teams falling in love with Nolan or Kancey. 

6 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I agree. I'm not high on AR, but IMO, the value for him at #6 is higher than Tyree or Murphy. 

Question, say Jalen Carter, Anthony Richardson, Christian Gonzalez and Devon Witherspoon are all available at #6... Who do you take ?

Thats so tough.  If we have talked to him and are comfortable, Carter would likely be my pick.  Then probably Witherspoon, Gonzalez and then Richardson.  

17 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I agree. I'm not high on AR, but IMO, the value for him at #6 is higher than Tyree or Murphy. 

Question, say Jalen Carter, Anthony Richardson, Christian Gonzalez and Devon Witherspoon are all available at #6... Who do you take ?

Right now, I would take Christian Gonzalez.  6'1"., runs a 4.38 40 with very fluid movement skills and lots of good tape.  Also, he doesn't turn 21 until June 28, 2023.  

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

Based on this, it seems like Birkett's report about offering Jamaal a similar contract to David Montgomery is the more likely thing that happened.

I have no doubts, especially seeing as how we gave more money than expected to re-sign our own guys. I believe the Lions gave him a similar (if not exact) contract as Monty, but gave him a deadline to sign it. Not wanting to miss out on signing a good RB like Monty if Jamaal decided to go somewhere else, Jamaal's agent told him to shop around, Lions moved on after the deadline, Jamaal feels disrespected that they didn't fight for him and moved on like they said they would. I think he took less money with the Saints than the Lions originally offered and he's salty about it. But instead of replacing his agent, he took shots at the team and that runs me the wrong way. I know he's an emotional dude, it's why we love him, but he's taking out his emotions on the wrong target. I wish him well in NO, except when we play him, but I'm happy with the moves Holmes has made. The days of being strong armed by players is over in Detroit. 

• Like 1

Rumors swirling that Chark hasn't gotten a long term contract offer he likes and might be working on another 1 year deal with the Lions. If the Lions bring back Chark, the only significant loss right now would be DeShon Elliott. What a great position that would be going into the draft. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Rumors swirling that Chark hasn't gotten a long term contract offer he likes and might be working on another 1 year deal with the Lions. If the Lions bring back Chark, the only significant loss right now would be DeShon Elliott. What a great position that would be going into the draft. 

Despite the fact that this WR draft class isn't as good as previous years, that isn't so surprising.  He was injured for a good chunk of last season.  It is hard to justify a long-term deal when he only played half the season.

• Like 1