2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

15 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I saw something from POD where Jamaal was speaking to Saints reporters and he commented on the Lions offer. Said it was disrespectful. 

That seems very out of character for Williams. 

Edit:

"The offer they gave me, I feel like was very just disrespectful, and just showing that they didn't really want me to be there like that."

Either the Birkett report is dead wrong or there was some serious miscommunication. 

Edited by Nnivolcm

I honestly can't see us giving Williams that offer that we gave Monty.  Williams had a good year but not great aside from the TDs which are situational and hard to replicate.  It seems we would have offered something like what he got in New Orleans since thats what I expected him to get.  If they offered much less than that I would also find it disrespectful.  It doesn't seem like we would be disrespectful to someone who was a team guy that produced.  Not a good look if they did tbh.  

55 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am not as excited about Tyree Wilson at 6 though and would be upset if we take Murphy there.  I'd rather trade down than draft either there and take an edge somewhere else.  I dont have Wilson that far ahead of everyone else and There are a ton of edges likely available at 18 or in the 2nd round range I'd be happy with.  I honestly think I would rather take Anthony Richardson there than either edge but still would prefer moving down and adding draft capital.  I feel like outside of the top two CBs, the rest of the pack in the 6-20 range are very similar prospects so its going to be about finding the best mentality amongst them.  

Also have to add Will Anderson.  I know its not likely but obviously if he is there I would be all for grabbing him to pair with Hutch and Houston on the edges.    

Yeah, I have Anderson there. Murphy I agree on. I don't really like him at 6, but I do like him a lot at 18. I think he's going to produce when it is all said and done. Wilson I'm on the fence about, but I wouldn't be upset if we took him there. I want nothing to do with Richardson. I know I'm in the minority (maybe only person), but he's probably the last person I want at 6. I don't even know if I'd want him at 18.

Edited by LionArkie

3 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Yeah, I have Anderson there. Murphy I agree on. I don't really like him at 6, but I do like him a lot at 18. I think he's going to produce when it is all said and done. Wilson I'm on the fence about, but I wouldn't be upset if we took him there. I want nothing to do with Richardson. I know I'm in the minority (maybe only person), but he's probably the last person I want at 6. I don't even know if I'd want him at 18.

I am not saying I want Richardson there, I just would rather than Wilson or Murphy.  I don't love the edges in this draft at 6 but am open to a slew of them with either of our next two/three picks.  I just dont think any are sure enough things to risk at 6 were as Richardson is in the same boat but at QB which is more important and also more impactful if he reaches his potential.  But I don't really want either.  I am a Stroud, Anderson, Carter, Witherspoon, Gonzalez or trade back kind of mind set at this point.  The value just doesn't seem to be there aside from that but can see taking an O lineman even though I dont like the value. 

• Like 1

I honestly believe they gave Williams a similar contract as Montgomery but set a deadline to accept, as they reportedly did with others (Cominsky and Anzalone both referenced the same). He didn't accept by deadline, they moved on to Montgomery. Now, Jamaal got less money from the Saints and is upset that he feels disrespected by the fact that Holmes had a plan B in place and didn't fight for him. It reminds me of Jamaal's comments about the Packers after we signed him. 

Patriots signed Chris Board to a 2 yr deal. 

48 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am not saying I want Richardson there, I just would rather than Wilson or Murphy.  I don't love the edges in this draft at 6 but am open to a slew of them with either of our next two/three picks.  I just dont think any are sure enough things to risk at 6 were as Richardson is in the same boat but at QB which is more important and also more impactful if he reaches his potential.  But I don't really want either.  I am a Stroud, Anderson, Carter, Witherspoon, Gonzalez or trade back kind of mind set at this point.  The value just doesn't seem to be there aside from that but can see taking an O lineman even though I dont like the value. 

I agree. I'm not high on AR, but IMO, the value for him at #6 is higher than Tyree or Murphy. 

Question, say Jalen Carter, Anthony Richardson, Christian Gonzalez and Devon Witherspoon are all available at #6... Who do you take ?

17 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I agree. I'm not high on AR, but IMO, the value for him at #6 is higher than Tyree or Murphy. 

Question, say Jalen Carter, Anthony Richardson, Christian Gonzalez and Devon Witherspoon are all available at #6... Who do you take ?

My feeling all along (assuming Anderson and Carter gone) that the best overall talent play is Gonzalez at 6 and best of which ever of Murphy, Van Ness, Kancey, Nolan, Adebawore ect are left at 18.  I think any of those guys really could go as high as 6 or still be there at 18.  Gonzalez will definitely be gone.  I don’t see Wilson making it to 18 but I’m not a fan at all at 6, my mind could be changed but right now I basically see Carlos Dunlap.  I’m curious how or if any teams are evaluating Wilson or more so Murphy as guys that could put on 15 and be a 5/3 tech guy.  Murphy I could really see becoming a dominant inside guy long term. 

All that said of those choices it’s Carter and I remain very intrigued by Richardson but need a lot more study.  

"...best of which ever of Murphy, Van Ness, Kancey, Nolan, Adebawore ect are left at 18.  I think any of those guys really could go as high as 6 or still be there at 18."

I don't see any of them going near #6, tbh, only Murphy and possibly Nolan do I have as first round players.

34 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

If carter checks out during interviews then definitely carter, otherwise I want Witherspoon.

• Like 1

Just now, LionArkie said:

If carter checks out during interviews then definitely carter, otherwise I want Witherspoon.

It's weird, because outside of Carter falling to #6, I think I'm most comfortable taking Witherspoon at #6, but I also think he's the most likely out of the four to drop to #18. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

It's weird, because outside of Carter falling to #6, I think I'm most comfortable taking Witherspoon at #6, but I also think he's the most likely out of the four to drop to #18. 

Agreed. So much is put into potential, but I just think Witherspoon is a baller. Give me that grit!

15 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

My guess is that Jalen Carter's Pro Day will be something the Lions see as a deal-breaker.  That just doesn't fit into the team and organization that Brad Holmes as well as Dan Campbell have built so far.

I kind of think that’s going to be the case as well. When you hear this staff talk about what they’re looking for, you don’t think Jalen Carter. But the dude is talented.