2023 Offseason Thread

Superduperman

8 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Ahh Justin Gilbert there’s a name. He was one of the more hotly contested prospects on this board ( Dee Millner was another) . There was a strong love vs hate group. The entire theme of that draft though was “Best WR class EVER!!” Then it kind of started happening every year. 

Yeah yeah ….just scared to admit it , even to myself.   Not that it by any means should be considered when making such an important pick but the cool thing about Richardson is he can actually help this team significantly next season even as a backup. 

He has a ton of talent as an after catch guy but yeah he’s the definition of body catcher. He did actually look like he’s been working on catching with his  hands away from his body doing the gauntlet at the combine ( I didn’t notice him on any of the  long balls)  Not really someone I’m interested in regardless and JSN and ARSB really need to play similar rolls to succeed.  We need a guy that can just make it easy on Goff every once in awhile to be able to just sling out a 50/50 or back shoulder too. 

Trey Palmer or AT Perry would fit that role nicely.

Seattle re-signed Drew Locke. So they've now locked up (no pun intended) Geno and Locke. No way they go near a QB like reported. 

1. Carolina Panthers- CJ Stroud 

2. Houston Texans- Bryce Young

3. Arizona Cardinals- ??????????? I think they might trade the pick for a QB needy team. If they stay, I think they take Will Anderson.

4. Indianapolis Colts- Will Levis or Anthony Richardson

5. Seattle Seahawks- ?????????? Could go DL  with Murphy, Wilson, Carter or Anderson is #3 is traded for QB, do they need secondary help? Could Gonzalez or Witherspoon be in play here?

6. Detroit Lions- ?????????????

38 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I think everything is on the table now. I asked previously, but I'll ask again for everyone. If we get to #6 and Jalen Carter, Anthony Richardson, Devon Witherspoon, Christian Gonzalez, Tyree Wilson are all sitting there, who do you take? 

Personally I'd go Carter >> Wilson > Witherspoon > Gonzalez >>>> Richardson, but like always if a good deal is being offered for the pick that would be my top choice unless Anderson is still there somehow. 

5 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Seattle re-signed Drew Locke. So they've now locked up (no pun intended) Geno and Locke. No way they go near a QB like reported. 

1. Carolina Panthers- CJ Stroud 

2. Houston Texans- Bryce Young

3. Arizona Cardinals- ??????????? I think they might trade the pick for a QB needy team. If they stay, I think they take Will Anderson.

4. Indianapolis Colts- Will Levis or Anthony Richardson

5. Seattle Seahawks- ?????????? Could go DL  with Murphy, Wilson, Carter or Anderson is #3 is traded for QB, do they need secondary help? Could Gonzalez or Witherspoon be in play here?

6. Detroit Lions- ?????????????

I wouldn't be surprised if Holmes makes an offer for #3 if Anderson is still there. 

4 minutes ago, davisblack said:

Personally I'd go Carter >> Wilson > Witherspoon > Gonzalez >>>> Richardson, but like always if a good deal is being offered for the pick that would be my top choice unless Anderson is still there somehow. 

I think the only guys I know will definitely be gone for sure before #6 are Young, Stroud and Anderson. I think Levis/Richardson could be gone depending on what Cardinals do at #3 and then Indy reacting at #4. Seattle is a complete wildcard for me. 

2 minutes ago, davisblack said:

I wonder if the Lions are considering Skoronski at #6 at all. He's not in my top 5 for the Lions, but I wouldn't hate it.

Apparently he can play anywhere on the OL, which would be a huge asset to have. 

I’ve wondered if ol is on the table as well. I wouldn’t be opposed to it one bit either.

• Like 1

6. Tyree Wilson | Edge | Texas Tech

18. Bryan Breese | DT | Clemson

48. Cody Mauch | OL | North Dakota State

55. Tyrique Stevenson | CB | Miami (FL)

81. Tucker Kraft | TE | South Dakota State

152. Ivan Pace | LB | Cincinatti 

183. Bryce Ford-Wheaton | WR | West Virginia 

194. Jay Ward | S | LSU

10 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

To be fair everyone ( outside and inside this forum) said the exact same thing about Donald when he was coming out. Too small, too weak , 1 trick pony will get killed once NFL guys get there hands on him.  This isn’t a defense of Kancey these are legit concerns for him but everyone had the same concerns for Donald. This myth that a lot of Detroit fans wanted Donald is exactly that a huge myth because remember other than myself next to no one wanting him. I recall the occasional “ Suh isn’t staying long term so we do need a replacement “. But very few really wanted him. Everyone wanted to trade up for Watkins.  

Im still some what on the fence with him there’s a lot to like on film but the concerns are concerning.  Just cause Donald over came similar concerns we’ll that doesn’t really apply to anyone but Donald. 

Nobody said he was too weak. He put up 30+ reps on the bench. It was all about his size and level of competition that scared people away. 

Two low-key free agents that might help the Lions.  DT Quinton Jefferson and G DJ Fluker. Jefferson has had a solid career as a rotational DT.  Fluker is trying to re-start his career and looks to be in good shape.  Both should be relatively inexpensive.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/03/dj-fluker-nfl-comeback-alabama-pro-day

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JeffQu00.htm

30 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The 2024 draft class already has two top-shelf QB talents:  Caleb Williams and Drake May.  Bo Nix should also be in the mix but will be a little older.  The Lions may be setting themselves up for a run at QB in 2024.

I hate the whole wait until next year thing.  Quite often those top QBs fall off, others move up etc.  In August of 2021 they did mock drafts for the 2022 draft with Carson Strong, Malik Willis, Spencer Rattler, Kedon Slovis, and Matt Corral in the first round with the top 2 picks being QBs.   If there is a need for QB and you like someone you take them.  If not, you pass but you don't look ahead and plan to draft one of those guys.  

6 hours ago, HashtagFTW said:

My problem with a qb at 6 is... this is going to be our last top 10 in hopefully a while. I don't want to waste it on 1. the 4th best QB in the class and 2. someone who won't be touching the field. 

My biggest problem if they draft anyone, other than maybe Richardson, it instantly causes a riff in the locker room.  This team seems to be behind Goff and drafting a QB signals the staff isn't fully.  It then causes the fans to freak out in week 2 if Goff doesnt have 300 yards and 3 TDs a game.  At least with Richardson people would know he has to develop but creating a QB controversy in a year that we are hoping to make a playoff push and be the top team in our division doesn't make sense to me since it was the culture and buy-in team unity that drove our good stretch.  They would have to really love a QB there to risk all the locker room effects from it.

• Like 1