Pat Surtain II named inaugural NFLPA first-team All-Pro

AKRNA

I actually think our CBs were maybe the best position group on the team this year.

Surtain II was a worthy All Pro, Darby played really well before getting hurt, the growth from Mathis (for a 4th round rookie) was super impressive and honestly, you could argue that K'Waun Williams is the most underrated player on our roster. QBs had a passer rating of 70 when throwing at him and he didn't give up a TD all year whilst playing with torn ligaments in his wrist (hence the cast).

Even at the end of the year when Bassey, McMillian and Jackson saw time, I was impressed.

Christian Parker's name doesn't get mentioned much around here, does it? Well I think it's about time his praises get sung a hell of a lot more than they do at present. I will let you all google who he is :)

• Like 3

Surtain winning this has certainly shut up Merrilatt and Dmac for a day, so that's nice.

That aside, huge achievement for Surtain. Slightly biased opinion, but I do think he's the best CB in the league. He's played at an extremely high level his first two years, his peers clearly respect him, his stats speak for themselves. Nice to have a franchise cornerstone at the position again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I actually think our CBs were maybe the best position group on the team this year.

Surtain II was a worthy All Pro, Darby played really well before getting hurt, the growth from Mathis (for a 4th round rookie) was super impressive and honestly, you could argue that K'Waun Williams is the most underrated player on our roster. QBs had a passer rating of 70 when throwing at him and he didn't give up a TD all year whilst playing with torn ligaments in his wrist (hence the cast).

Even at the end of the year when Bassey, McMillian and Jackson saw time, I was impressed.

Christian Parker's name doesn't get mentioned much around here, does it? Well I think it's about time his praises get sung a hell of a lot more than they do at present. I will let you all google who he is :)

I think he and Dixon really benefited from the presence of Capers and Kollar. Only time will tell but having two young position coaches on the D like that's a real plus..

Of course by this time next week our new HC will probably fire them and find some college coaches to fill their spots, but for now they're staff positives.

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Mathis & McMillan really stood out as rookies (only 1 game for latter).   K’waun having a prior background of good to great play only continued here.    Parker definitely deserves kudos.    Rookie play like that only happens with good coaching.   

58 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Simmons not being 1st Team any of the past four seasons is robbery.

Making it this year and only playing 12 games shows it’s just a matter of time though.   It’s a massive sign of respect to get the 2nd team nod this year.    No other player made 1st/2nd with so few games played.  

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Making it this year and only playing 12 games shows it’s just a matter of time though.   It’s a massive sign of respect to get the 2nd team nod this year.    No other player made 1st/2nd with so few games played.  

I don’t know, he turns 30 next year, these are really the peak years. You can make a strong case he should be a 4x 1st team All-Pro today. 

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

I don’t know, he turns 30 next year, these are really the peak years. You can make a strong case he should be a 4x 1st team All-Pro today. 

This year the 12 games dings him.   Can’t argue he shouldn’t have been 1st team the other years though.  

Would help a lot if we didn’t suck in prime time like we did this year or past years.  Players don’t watch all 17 games for every other team lol.  

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Simmons not being 1st Team any of the past four seasons is robbery.

That's a bit hyperbolic I think. Fitzpatrick is a stud. 

Anyway, added the NFLPA article about the selection process. Really interesting. To me, the Pro Bowl and all Pro teams have always been too much of a popularity, name recognition process. This one's the real deal.

26 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

That's a bit hyperbolic I think. Fitzpatrick is a stud. 

Anyway, added the NFLPA article about the selection process. Really interesting. To me, the Pro Bowl and all Pro teams have always been too much of a popularity, name recognition process. This one's the real deal.

I really don’t see how it’s hyperbolic to think Simmons should have been All-Pro at least once.