ChargIRs Mike Williams out 2-3 weeks

General Tso

2 hours ago, kramxel said:

The Staley hate is ridiculous on this site... 

where do you stand on him? I mean he’s better than McCoy, Lynn and Turner but that’s really not a great endorsement. I’m personally still mostly undecided on him. He does some wtf stuff but also he does go for it which is something I faulted Marty for. Still pissed we didn’t get Mooch instead of McCoy. 

Edited by Leoric
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

You know, I defended Staley a lot last season, but man, this is so inexcusable. Played valuable starters in a meaningless game against a bad team that's out, lost one major player to a serious injury, managed to still lose said game.

My favorite bit of all though is when he was asked about Mike Williams sitting out yesterday, before they had declared him out, and said "“We’re at that point of the season where the reps aren’t what matter. The rest is, in his case." So the rest matters now that he's already hurt...

He’s obviously talking about practice reps not mattering as much as resting/healing because he thought MW was still going to play before the second MRI today. 

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

He’s obviously talking about practice reps not mattering as much as resting/healing because he thought MW was still going to play before the second MRI today. 

Neither MRI wouldn't of been necessary if he was 1/2 as smart as he pretends to be. You do not play your Starters in a meaningless game that will not effect your seeding in any way shape or form. Period!

Especially players with an extensive history of injury. Just plain stupid.

Edited by Nabbs4u

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

Neither MRI wouldn't of been necessary if he was 1/2 as smart as he pretends to be. You do not play your Starters in a meaningless game that will not effect your seeding in any way sgape or form. Period!

Especially players with an extensive history of injury. Just plain stupid.

It was more complicated than that. They weren’t locked into the 5th seed before the final game so they practiced all week to beat the Broncos. Not to mention that he wanted the momentum, as well as the offense still having issues and needed the live reps, and I can see why he played the starters at first. But he shouldn’t have left them in as long as he did. It was a relatively routine hit that looked benign at first. Unfortunately MW was unlucky.

3 hours ago, Leoric said:

where do you stand on him? I mean he’s better than McCoy, Lynn and Turner but that’s really not a great endorsement. I’m personally still mostly undecided on him. He does some wtf stuff but also he does go for it which is something I faulted Marty for. Still pissed we didn’t get Mooch instead of McCoy. 

He’s a better in game manager than them. I wish he was as analytical aggressive as he was last year. I also think he’s too much of a player’s coach at times so he’ll listen to a player too much to their detriment like let Herbert continue to play in the first Chiefs game after his rib injury, and the subsequent Jags game the following week.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Xenos said:

It was more complicated than that. They weren’t locked into the 5th seed before the final game so they practiced all week to beat the Broncos. Not to mention that he wanted the momentum, as well as the offense still having issues and needed the live reps, and I can see why he played the starters at first. But he shouldn’t have left them in as long as he did. It was a relatively routine hit that looked benign at first. Unfortunately MW was unlucky.

Appologies then. So Ravens game was completed at what point? During the 1st QT? 1/2 time? When?

15 hours ago, kramxel said:

The Staley hate is ridiculous on this site... 

Staley's reputation on this site is microcosmic of his reputation at large.

Look at other media platforms with general NFL fans. It's always the same reputation.

This is not a FF-specific "problem".

Maybe he just sucks?

20 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Staley's reputation on this site is microcosmic of his reputation at large.

Look at other media platforms with general NFL fans. It's always the same reputation.

This is not a FF-specific "problem".

Maybe he just sucks?

To be fair, the general fans are wrong often. Things like going for it on 4th downs using analytics was wrongfully derided last season. Even playing the starters against the Broncos is a more complicated situation than what people are saying. If we were locked in as the 5th seed after beating the Rams in week 17, then sure I can see him resting all of his star starters completely. 

4 minutes ago, Xenos said:

No.

I'm curious as to why it isn't - I'm not opposed to the idea that he's not as bad as his reputation is, but there are some pretty big gaffes on his resume to date.

Perhaps it's growing pains, or perhaps it's not. Feel free to enlighten me...

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm curious as to why it isn't - I'm not opposed to the idea that he's not as bad as his reputation is, but there are some pretty big gaffes on his resume to date.

Perhaps it's growing pains, or perhaps it's not. Feel free to enlighten me...

Yes, some of it is growing pains. I think he’s too much of a players coach at times so he’ll listen to them even when he shouldn’t. For example, I don’t think he should have let Herbert back into the first Chiefs game after his rib injury or let him play as long as he did in the Jags game. But he let Herbert continue because that’s what Herbert wanted to do. I suspect some of that was the case with MW being on the field at the beginning of the game last Sunday. And this is his biggest issue during these two years so far IMO. Generally he’s been pretty cautious when players are recovering from injuries especially concussions. But he also believes in giving healthy players live reps when they’re finally healthy to play to avoid rust.

With regards to the Broncos game, I agree he should have pulled the starters earlier in that game. Probably after the 2nd TD. But they were practicing all week with not only the mentality to win the game to get the 5th seed, but to improve their anemic offense which could only be refined with live reps and timing. Throw in the fact that the inactive lists had to be posted 90 minutes before the game started, while the Ravens/Bengals game was still undecided, and I can see why he let the starters play at the beginning especially because momentum is such a big deal for Staley. I’m reminded of what Coughlin did with the Giants when they played the Patriots in the last regular seas game in 2007 even though it was a meaningless game to them and they lost. Unfortunately, bad luck happened on what looked like a routine tackle and hit.

Outside of the game itself, I think most people unfairly started giving him grief last year because his 4th down decisions didn’t work out in prime time even though it was for the most part analytically sound and it helped us win more games than lost. It’s just that those wins weren’t on primetime: first Chiefs game, Browns, Eagles, and Bengals. And this feeling carried over to this year with the public perception.

I think people also conflated a lot of the situations around injuries together this year. I noticed that people started blaming him and the training staff team for the rash of injuries we had this year even though everything was overhauled in 2021 and we were one of the healthiest teams last season. There also seems to be a misunderstanding when diagnosis changes. For example, Staley has been upfront and honest about a player’s timetable to return based on the medical prognosis at the time, only to later reverse course because something new happened later. And this led to unnecessary backlash IMO, with some people thinking that he had lying about the situation the entire time. Even though these things happen like with the MW change from being able to practice this week to not. And it’s because what they thought was a contusion was actually fracture that didn’t show up until more time passed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Yes, some of it is growing pains. I think he’s too much of a players coach at times so he’ll listen to them even when he shouldn’t. For example, I don’t think he should have let Herbert back into the first Chiefs game after his rib injury or let him play as long as he did in the Jags game. But he let Herbert continue because that’s what Herbert wanted to do. I suspect some of that was the case with MW being on the field at the beginning of the game last Sunday. And this is his biggest issue during these two years so far IMO. Generally he’s been pretty cautious when players are recovering from injuries especially concussions. But he also believes in giving healthy players live reps when they’re finally healthy to play to avoid rust.

With regards to the Broncos game, I agree he should have pulled the starters earlier in that game. Probably after the 2nd TD. But they were practicing all week with not only the mentality to win the game to get the 5th seed, but to improve their anemic offense which could only be refined with live reps and timing. Throw in the fact that the inactive lists had to be posted 90 minutes before the game started, while the Ravens/Bengals game was still undecided, and I can see why he let the starters play at the beginning especially because momentum is such a big deal for Staley. I’m reminded of what Coughlin did with the Giants when they played the Patriots in the last regular seas game in 2007 even though it was a meaningless game to them and they lost. Unfortunately, bad luck happened on what looked like a routine tackle and hit.

Outside of the game itself, I think most people unfairly started giving him grief last year because his 4th down decisions didn’t work out in prime time even though it was for the most part analytically sound and it helped us win more games than lost. It’s just that those wins weren’t on primetime: first Chiefs game, Browns, Eagles, and Bengals. And this feeling carried over to this year with the public perception.

I think people also conflated a lot of the situations around injuries together this year. I noticed that people started blaming him and the training staff team for the rash of injuries we had this year even though everything was overhauled in 2021 and we were one of the healthiest teams last season. There also seems to be a misunderstanding when diagnosis changes. For example, Staley has been upfront and honest about a player’s timetable to return based on the medical prognosis at the time, only to later reverse course because something new happened later. And this led to unnecessary backlash IMO, with some people thinking that he had lying about the situation the entire time. Even though these things happen like with the MW change from being able to practice this week to not. And it’s because what they thought was a contusion was actually fracture that didn’t show up until more time passed.

FYI, that’s a medical student. I was at one time a 4th year Med student that was exceptional at MSK relative to my peers. But not in a million years would I have pretended to 1) be affiliated with an NFL or 2) actually have medical expertise

Edited by sammymvpknight