WEEK 12 MNF IN BALTIMORE!

paraven

4 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

The crowd was really really awful yesterday. Almost half the seats were empty and there was no noise. It was eerily quiet for much of the game, minus one little BS chant when the refs were giving us all the flags. 

I don't know if it's that people didn't think this would be a good games, whether it's been SOOO long since we had a home monday night game that people weren't ready, that the style of ball is boring, or what... If Ray Lewis was playing a home MNF would be as loud as it gets in football, but that seems gone. :(

Yeah, A LOT Of people moved down from the upper stands to the lower ones in the second half. Tickets in like row 1 midfield were selling for like $75 a piece. Not sure why, but Raven's fans just don't seem as interested in attending home games this year. Kind of sucks.

5 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Yeah, A LOT Of people moved down from the upper stands to the lower ones in the second half. Tickets in like row 1 midfield were selling for like $75 a piece. Not sure why, but Raven's fans just don't seem as interested in attending home games this year. Kind of sucks.

I guess it bears mentioning that Ravens' home attendance this year is only slightly under their 10-year average. This year they average 70,622 per home game. For the last 9 years leading up to this year, they've averaged 71,151 per home game (I took the bulk data there, added it up then divided by 9 to get 71,151.444). So that's ~700 less fans per game this year than the past 9 years, and as the playoff race heats up, that average might go up.

Per home games this year, the attendance numbers are:

Week 2 (vs. Browns): 70,605

Week 4 (vs. Steelers): 71,126 

Week 6 (vs. Bears): 70,616

Week 8 (vs. Dolphins, Primetime): 70,408

Week 12 (vs. Texans, Primetime): 70,357

So from what I see here, it's really only the past few weeks where fans have stopped showing up. Whether that's due to cold weather, a historically pathetic offense, or other factors (like people not wanting to go into the city?), who knows. But overall I think the decline here in home attendance is not that great.

41 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

I guess it bears mentioning that Ravens' home attendance this year is only slightly under their 10-year average. This year they average 70,622 per home game. For the last 9 years leading up to this year, they've averaged 71,151 per home game (I took the bulk data there, added it up then divided by 9 to get 71,151.444). So that's ~700 less fans per game this year than the past 9 years, and as the playoff race heats up, that average might go up.

Per home games this year, the attendance numbers are:

Week 2 (vs. Browns): 70,605

Week 4 (vs. Steelers): 71,126 

Week 6 (vs. Bears): 70,616

Week 8 (vs. Dolphins, Primetime): 70,408

Week 12 (vs. Texans, Primetime): 70,357

So from what I see here, it's really only the past few weeks where fans have stopped showing up. Whether that's due to cold weather, a historically pathetic offense, or other factors (like people not wanting to go into the city?), who knows. But overall I think the decline here in home attendance is not that great.

I'm a PSL/season ticket owner, so more often than not I'll sell my tickets to the games. I've only gone to 3 this year and in 2 of the 3, attendance was visibly lacking. Not only that, the re-sale market is usually a good indicator of demand and ticket prices have been selling at a significantly lower premium this year when compared to previous years. Not sure how they calculate attendance, but if it's by tickets bought as opposed to actual in person attendance, that's going to be a bit skewed given the number of season ticket holders who pre-purchased the tickets but opted not to go to the game and couldn't/didn't sell their tickets to the game. Point being, having gone to a good number of games for the past 6-7 years, I'd say this years attendance seems very off compared to previous years (just using the eyeball test). Again, it could be any of those factors you mentioned, but all those have been somewhat constant in past years and attendance was never really an issue. So, it's just weird to me that fans don't seem as interested in the team/football as they previously have.

9 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

Suggs ist weekly MVP. Came through with the strip when it counted. How MM ist still employed with this team ist beyond me. 12 weeks in and not the slightest improvement in scheming. don't care for the win cause this team is going nowhere.

At this point, what do you do with MM though?

Let's say they fire him next week after we lose to Detroit and the offense goes through another horrible week. Who do we promote? Popular logic says Greg Roman. Is he the guy we want moving forward, given his history? I don't think so, and he fits the bill of being another failed NFL retread that we love hiring, who we'll end up firing after 1 season maximum.

If it's not Roman, then who?

The only other option is to wait out the season and fire him the second the season ends, and begin our search for a competent OC who isn't just another failed retread, which is my preferred option and I think there's an abundance of college and upcoming NFL talent to pick from.

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

i'm just tired of finding excuses for somebody on this coaching staff to not being fired immediately i guess. need to make a point to players and fans (see attendance issue mentioned above) at some point not to accept this BS as Ravens standard

I agree, but I mean let's remember that going into this season everyone knew the offense was going to be pathetic. Sure, there were optimistic Ravens fans who wanted to believe it wouldn't be, but even with a healthy Yanda there wasn't much hope for this unit to be anything more than a bottom 10 unit. So why, when everyone knew it was going to be bad, would things change when that's exactly what happened?

Furthermore, I agree that something has to be done. We seem to keep saying we're going to open it up and be more loose and aggressive, only to do the exact opposite. But firing MM midseason without a better replacement or a long-term solution isn't the right answer.

4 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Again, we are talking about the Baltimore Ravens. This is not what has changed from past history. The 2000 team after 5 games without an offensive touchdown didn't have a crowd this weak.

This is probably an above average team or at worse average. We've had BAD teams get strong crowds. This used to be one the top home field advantages in all of pro sports as recently as a couple years ago, and the crowd yesterday was like Los Angeles football bad. It's a dramatic shift.

2 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

At this point, what do you do with MM though?

Let's say they fire him next week after we lose to Detroit and the offense goes through another horrible week. Who do we promote? Popular logic says Greg Roman. Is he the guy we want moving forward, given his history? I don't think so, and he fits the bill of being another failed NFL retread that we love hiring, who we'll end up firing after 1 season maximum.

If it's not Roman, then who?

The only other option is to wait out the season and fire him the second the season ends, and begin our search for a competent OC who isn't just another failed retread, which is my preferred option and I think there's an abundance of college and upcoming NFL talent to pick from.

I don't mind Roman getting a shot. I think his resume is pretty solid and his influence definitely seems to have helped out the line/running game, despite losing key interior pieces. 

It's weird that people think that we DON'T fire OCs. Objectively speaking, since the end of the Cam Cameron we've had plenty of flux there. 

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

I don't mind Roman getting a shot. I think his resume is pretty solid and his influence definitely seems to have helped out the line/running game, despite losing key interior pieces. 

It's weird that people think that we DON'T fire OCs. Objectively speaking, since the end of the Cam Cameron we've had plenty of flux there. 

Roman historically has needed a mobile QB to do well though, and I think his role right now is perfect. He's great at scheming a running game, and medicore elsewhere. It would be great to have a guy like him run the running game and then, dare I say it, a guy like Marc Trestman to just design the passing offense, and then have a coordinator actually call the plays. That would be my ideal scenario. As it is, I think Roman is fine where he's at.

We definitely do fire OC's, I just think right now, it's better for the team long-term to let Marty ride the season out and then fire his pathetic arse after we lose in the 1st round of the playoffs.

33 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

SCHEME is everything.

i agree.

9 hours ago, berlin calling said:

12 weeks in and not the slightest improvement in scheming.

mentioned elsewhere i am 100% sure this offense, even with all the injuries, could be a middle-of-the-pack unit with a guy who would actually adapt his scheming to his opponents and maybe even try to get his wr open. i am sure their are guys in this league who train stuff like that :-)

The Mike Lombardi narrative with Joe Flacco getting OC's fired are wrong, but we have had quite a lot of turnover at the OC position. Cameron lasted a couple of years, until it was clear something had to be done and he was let go. Jim Caldwell took over and had the reigns for a postseason and a regular season and then got a HC job. We then got Kubiak/Dennison which created an offense where we most likely saw Flacco used the best and where he looked the most comfortable. Unfortunately Kubiak got a HC job in Denver, and we got Marc Trestman. He didn't put anything great together but got more than a season to prove himself, after an injury riddled season where Flacco also went down. I believe it was a Skins or Bears game where his utter incompetence where put on show and he was let go and MM took over. 

What we basically have is 2 OC's getting HC jobs and 2 firings where 1 led to a historic post season run and the other couldn't call a run play to save his life. Should we fire MM now? That would most likely only lead to another MM signing from in house, and we don't need that. 

Lets ride it out and go get someone in the off season.

It sounds like you guys have far more faith in Harbaugh to hire a competent OC than I do. 

While I agree that its better to wait until the end of the year before firing MM (because any replacement will just continue with the same offense due to time restraints), I'm not confident that Harbs can go out and find a hot young OC like a few of you are hoping for.  Aside from Teryl Austin, I can't think of another "young" assistant coach that Harbs has hired that has shown much (our RBs coach might be the closest to being this).

Hopefully I'm proved wrong though

Archived