2023 Overseas home teams announced

Trentwannabe

On 1/19/2023 at 10:05 AM, diamondbull424 said:

Probably what you’re already saying but if it’s one division it could be that since there’s two division games a year, when rotating that year, two international games are played that year. One that’s “home” and one that’s “away”. That way there’s no competitive disadvantage from losing a home game.

I think you misinterpreted what he was saying, he didnt mean one division playing divisional games, he meant one division becomes the "home" team and plays non-divisional games. 

I actually think the long term solution/goal of the NFL is to have every team play an international game, where the conference that gets the extra home game that year gets to "host" these games.

This year the NFC has an extra home game compared to the AFC. Next year, the AFC will have an extra home game. So, it is not surprising to me that all of the teams that are hosting international games are AFC teams. 

On 1/19/2023 at 10:04 AM, Thelonebillsfan said:

Of course we lose a home game a year after we lose one to the weather. 

You will still have 8 home games next year though. So, not terrible. Plus, NY is pretty far east, the trip across the pond is not terrible, and is more or less what west coast teams have to go through to play games on the east coast. 

I would bet money the niners jags game is in London next year. Thats a looooong way to travel. 

42 minutes ago, N4L said:

I would bet money the niners jags game is in London next year. Thats a looooong way to travel. 

expanding on this

49ers ownership owns a soccer team in the UK (Leeds United) and the UK is part of the niners international territory. The niners have a road game against the Jags next year.

Additionally, the niners were VERY fortunate with their travel schedule this year. Lots of home games at the end of the season, two east coast games were back to back so the niners stayed east, and even the road games we had at the end of the season were all on the west coast. Given that, I bet it is somewhat less favorable next year in that regard. 

3 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

As I suspected, the whole idea of the 17th game was to expand the international series. It was just too much money to leave on the table otherwise. Season ticket holders lose the extra game, but the owners make bank. That's what it was always about. I'd expect many, MANY more games added in the coming years, especially Mexico City, Toronto, and maybe Paris in the future.

I wouldn't be shocked to see one in South America too. in a place like Rio. Rio in december would be like NYC weather in july where it's like 85 degrees and sunny.

8 hours ago, pf9 said:

The NFL should add games in Melbourne, Sydney, and Tokyo in 2023 so that an additional AFC West team and two AFC North teams can host an International Series game this year.

I would consider, but the time zones are whacked. Not sure if they'd play Monday morning local, unless those nations are on a Holiday. The game could air as SNF in the states. It should be reserved for a season opener. Maybe Thursday Night opener played Friday morning local. Australia is a must to lure away fans and athletes from Aussie Football and Rugby.

Edited by WheatieMan

8 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

I would consider, but the time zones are whacked. Not sure if they'd play Monday morning local, unless those nations are on a Holiday. The game could air as SNF in the states. It should be reserved for a season opener. Maybe Thursday Night opener played Friday morning local. Australia is a must to lure away fans and athletes from Aussie Football and Rugby.

Lots of people stay up late to watch sporting events that begin at 10 PM ET or later to their conclusion. So starting at 11 PM ET (1 or 3 PM local) shouldn't be a big deal. The NFL had a week 1 MNF game at 10 PM for years.

Edited by pf9

1 hour ago, pf9 said:

Lots of people stay up late to watch sporting events that begin at 10 PM ET or later to their conclusion. So starting at 11 PM ET (1 or 3 PM local) shouldn't be a big deal. The NFL had a week 1 MNF game at 10 PM for years.

Yes but the event itself has to sell tickets in the local market. Australia and Melbourne is a great sports town in a horrible time zone for the US and Europe for that matter, especially the west coast teams. That means games need to be played at 8-9am local in Melbourne on a weekday. That's just not efficient.

You can play a season opener in Australia Friday morning for a TNF opener. Otherwise, you need to give both teams a bye before a TNF neutral game in Australia or the Far East.

3 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

Yes but the event itself has to sell tickets in the local market. Australia and Melbourne is a great sports town in a horrible time zone for the US and Europe for that matter, especially the west coast teams. That means games need to be played at 8-9am local in Melbourne on a weekday. That's just not efficient.

You can play a season opener in Australia Friday morning for a TNF opener. Otherwise, you need to give both teams a bye before a TNF neutral game in Australia or the Far East.

Sports events air on TV in undesirable time slots in just about every country. Big 4 league games played at night for instance air in the UK in the early morning. And DVRs are a thing too.