Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

10 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I mean, if it is, still conduct interviews for other options since the Flores situation is still not a slam dunk? Especially with one of your targets (Nielsen) off the table. Fangio could dip on Miami (not finalized) and then they go with Desai; and you're stuck crossing your fingers on Flores.

I dunno, seems like just 3 outside candidates for interviews is...light. 

It's only light because they have specific targets for styles of play.  In complete revamps (like last year), I would prefer that they just throw things against the wall and interview anyone and everyone, but if they're looking for specific styles, which I believe they are in this situation, then the list is going to be shorter.  

Edited by swede700

Just now, swede700 said:

It's only light because they have specific targets for styles of play.  In complete revamps (like last year), I would prefer that they just throw things against the wall and interview anyone and everyone, but if they're looking for specific styles, which I believe they are in this situation, then the list is going to be shorter.  

Yeah but, the specific styles of play are all...different from one another lol. Like, Nielsen and Desai couldn't be more different, and then the Flores background is different from them as well.

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Yeah but, the specific styles of play are all...different from one another lol. Like, Nielsen and Desai couldn't be more different, and then the Flores background is different from them as well.

They are different scheme-wise, certainly, as far as backgrounds and base defenses, but they do all have the similarity of more aggressive styles of play.  And, in all likelihood, they all would run nickel at least 60-70% of the time, so are they really that different?  

Edited by swede700

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

They are different scheme-wise, certainly, as far as backgrounds and base defenses, but they do all have the similarity of more aggressive styles of play.  And, in all likelihood, they all would run nickel at least 60-70% of the time, so are they really that different?  

Yes. They are on the responsibilities of the back end of the coverage: Cover 0 vs quarters vs 2 high, a lot of zone or mix match zone vs more press man.

I mean, if they hire Desai, it would be the same scheme, but probably more aggressive. Pettine is the continuance of the same exact scheme.

Flores would be a game changer; go back to Zimmer in his prime. More cover 0 with exotic blitz packages.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Flores would be a game changer; go back to Zimmer in his prime. More cover 0 with exotic blitz packages.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/platform/amp/2022/2/22/22943283/breaking-down-brian-flores-defensive-philosophy-and-what-it-could-mean-for-the-steelers-film-room

really good post on Flores Scheme, can post some highlights of it later for the non-readers

9 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

From the article 

As a result of these types of pressures, where just about anyone could come or drop, the sacks in Miami were spread around. Safety Brandon Jones, for example, recorded five sacks in 2021. Safeties don’t get sacks because they are great pass rushers. They get sacks because the scheme provides them a path to the quarterback.

harrison smith might get utilized at the LOS again!!

18 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Scheme-wise, Flores based out of a 3-4. He was especially fond of using the “Tite” front, which positions defensive linemen on an inside shade against offensive tackles, in what is commonly known as a 4i technique. This is an effective front against the run, particularly the inside zone play, because the shade anchors a defender in the B-gap, which is the sweet spot for most zone-run teams. To block the shade, offenses are often forced to use double-teams, which frees up linebackers to pursue the football.

The Tite front also works well for teams with a good nose tackle. Because of the double teams created in the B-gaps, the nose is often left one-on-one against the center.

When Miami went to their nickel or dime, they were extremely aggressive. In 2021, the Dolphins played over 50% of their defensive snaps in cover-0 or cover-1. They often paired these coverages with a “Mug” look at the line of scrimmage

The combination of pressure, camouflage and tight man coverage forced a combined passer rating of below 40 against their cover-0 and cover-1 looks in 2020 and 2021. They also allowed the Dolphins to finish 1st and 8th in the NFL, respectively, in turnovers in those seasons.

Flores preferred a 3-4 Tite as his base front to take away the inside run game. In his sub-package, he was a blitz-heavy cover-0 or cover-1 with an emphasis on attacking the protection scheme of his opponents and using disguise to create confusion.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I honestly feel like if we had a coach that sort of mixed what Zimmer was doing and added a dash of Ed in there it really wouldn't be that bad.

The thing with Ed, is that he didn't differentiate his coverages. It was basically the same thing, all the time. And his blitz packages were so remedial, it was high school level for the offense to pick up and block.

Now, if thats scheme or he just didnt think he had the personnel, I dont know. What I do know is I haven't seen such a bland defense in so long. At least in 2021, Zimmer tried to mix it up, he just didn't have the personnel after being hit hard with so many injuries.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I appreciate you guys providing the article and the explanations.  👍👏

There is far better explanations of explaining the coverages in the article with pictures and videos highlighting what they are doing, just FYI for anybody confused, just wasn't going to post the whole article in the thread.

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

With the new Vic Fangio news, possibly not going to the Dolphins and leaving the door open to a return to the 49ers, at least we don't have to have fright of losing the Flores sweepstakes to the Dolphins.

But we could lose Desai to the Dolphins.