Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

On 1/21/2023 at 2:48 PM, vikesfan89 said:

I thought they had to be with the team for 2 years?

On 1/21/2023 at 4:52 PM, VikeManDan said:

I don’t believe that’s true based on the one source I read. 

I stand corrected.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/14/nfl-compensatory-picks-for-minority-coaches-and-executives-explained/

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I stand corrected.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/14/nfl-compensatory-picks-for-minority-coaches-and-executives-explained/

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

That would be the Vikings luck for them to hire one of these guys and they get hired away before the 2 years

• Like 1

6 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

If I were Ryans, I'd pick Houston over Denver just for the fact I wouldn't want to be married to Russell Wilson. 

According to NFL Media, Ryans has emerged as a top candidate to be the Texans’ next head coach. A former player for Houston, NFL Media reports Ryans is set to meet with the franchise next week about the job and there is mutual interest.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/27/report-demeco-ryans-emerges-as-top-candidate-for-texans/

35 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Whoa! One of our interviewed candidates is off the board!!

Great, good for him but Kris Richard is a better coach (along with Dennis Allen) and he also is/was on New Orleans as the co-defensive coordinator/DB coach.  

4 hours ago, Cearbhall said:
  • Fangio
  •  
  • Evero
  • Desai
  • Flores
  •  
  • Nielsen

It is kind of strange but technically Fangio, Flores and Desai were top head coach candidates for the Vikings last year, or at least they were in my book the top three arguably.  Not sure any would come here and be dirty seconds and be the DC but who knows.  

Miami Dolphins and the Minnesota Vikings are the DC spots open currently.

And since these head coaching spots are open I assume most of these DC spots are open as well potentially.

Indianapolis
Arizona
Houston
Carolina (but HC was hired)

Vikings could draw interest I guess because they are a competitive team, but assuming none of the free agents are signed they have some holes in the D at CB, slot CB and NT/DE for sure.  Not to mention Kendricks or Harrison Smith most likely will be cut potentially.

DE                      / Otomewo
NT
DE Harrison Phillips / J. Lynch
OLB D. Hunter / P. Jones
ILB E. Kendricks / Asamoah
ILB J. Hicks 
OLB Z. Smith / Wonnum
CB                / A. Booth
SS H. Smith / J. Metellus
FS C. Bynum / L. Cine
CB  C. Dantzler / A. Evans
Slot CB      

Is that better than Miami's situation, no.  They just need a slot corner and they are pretty damn good.  Their DL is way better with Sieler, Wilkins and Davis.  Also Phillips and Chubb are just as good as the Vikings guys on the edge, they might lose Ingram and Van Ginkel in free agency though but Howard is better than any CB on the Vikings not to mention Byron Jones and Holland is a promising young safety and they just need another ILB opposite Jerome Baker.  So for say Fangio, I would be shocked if he went to Minnesota instead of say Miami if he even wants to coach again.

23 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It is kind of strange but technically Fangio, Flores and Desai were top head coach candidates for the Vikings last year, or at least they were in my book the top three arguably.  Not sure any would come here and be dirty seconds and be the DC but who knows.  

Well, considering 

1. desai interviewed for the dc role last year AND again this year, it would seem he has considerable interest in the job. 
2. Flores just interviewed for the Vikings dc role 

I mean, they interviewed, they have interest. They aren’t going to interview if they weren’t interested, it’s a waste of everyone’s time. 

flores also interviewed for the falcons gig fyi. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

That would be the Vikings luck for them to hire one of these guys and they get hired away before the 2 years

That should be the point that you’re developing minority coaches over multiple years and not just hiring minorities for future draft compensation. To me, hiring Flores to get a draft pick a year later goes against the integrity of why the nfl is doing this in the first place: which is is why there is a two year rule in place I assume. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Well, considering 

1. desai interviewed for the dc role last year AND again this year, it would seem he has considerable interest in the job. 
2. Flores just interviewed for the Vikings dc role 

I mean, they interviewed, they have interest. They aren’t going to interview if they weren’t interested, it’s a waste of everyone’s time. 

flores also interviewed for the falcons gig fyi. 

Looking at it, so out of all these head coaching openings Arizona, Carolina, Houston and Denver Flores only interviewed with Arizona of the HC spot, that is pretty sad.  Flores I hope gest a HC gig, Desai might be a bit early for that but could easily be one in the future.  

This is how it might go down, Vance Joseph or Aaron Glenn could maybe get that Arizona job but I would say Flores is the better hire.

Arizona Cardinals (Brian Flores)
Carolina Panthers (Frank Reich)
Houston Texans (DeMeco Ryans)
Denver Broncos (Sean Payton)

Why the Vikings did not interview Kris Richard or Vic Fangio I have no idea if this list is correct.  

Minnesota Vikings Defensive coordinator

Sean Desai, Seahawks associate head coach for defense (completed)

Brian Flores, Steelers senior defensive assistant (completed)

Ryan Nielsen, Saints co-defensive coordinator/defensive line coach (completed)

Mike Pettine, Vikings assistant head coach (completed)

I mean I’m not saying it is the same, but wouldn’t the defense we just had…..basically be the same thing if we hired Fangio?

isn’t it all just a big cover 4 shell?

I guess maybe his play calling could be a little more aggressive than what Ed showed out there.

saying this I would be excited to land Fangio, he’s obviously had success, just curious to what would change.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Why the Vikings did not interview Kris Richard or Vic Fangio I have no idea

Richard runs a 4-3 front, from what we saw with interviews on this staff, it looks like KOC prefers that 3-4 look. 

Also I believe Fangio hasn’t even committed to a coaching return yet publicly, has he? Also there may be a shot where KOC is looking younger too.