Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

4 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

which direction do you think Houston is going?

Jonathan Gannon. 

They reportedly were very high on him last year, and it sounds like he was their top choice going into the process again this year. But, like in Denver, when Ryans interviewed he impressed everyone so much that they shifted focus to him. If Ryans picks Denver, which I suspect he has given Quinn’s return to Dallas, I would expect them to shift back to Gannon. 

Edited by SemperFeist

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Jonathan Gannon. 

They reportedly were very high on him last year, and it sounds like he was their top choice going into the process again this year. But, like in Denver, when Ryans interviewed he impressed everyone so much that they shifted focus to him. If Ryans picks Denver, I would expect them to shift back to Gannon. 

If I were Ryans, I'd pick Houston over Denver just for the fact I wouldn't want to be married to Russell Wilson. 

Just now, battle2heaven said:

If I were Ryans, I'd pick Houston over Denver just for the fact I wouldn't want to be married to Russell Wilson. 

I think, over the long run, regardless of Russ, the Denver job is going to be a far more stable situation than Houston.  When you're firing multiple coaches after 1 year, I don't know how you can trust anything there.  And the Denver ownership situation is resolved now...Houston's is not.  

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I think, over the long run, regardless of Russ, the Denver job is going to be a far more stable situation than Houston.  When you're firing multiple coaches after 1 year, I don't know how you can trust anything there.  And the Denver ownership situation is resolved now...Houston's is not.  

Head Coaches don't typically get to view decisions in the long run though. Also, Denver also just fired their HC after 1 year.

I mean, both jobs are meh but I would want to forge my own path, that means picking my own QB, going to a team with 2 top 11 picks, and build something where the initial expectation isn't sky high because I don't have a veteran QB on a massive guaranteed contract; even if that QB is clearly declining. 

Definitely to each their own, but Houston job entices me more than the Denver job. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Head Coaches don't typically get to view decisions in the long run though. Also, Denver also just fired their HC after 1 year.

I mean, both jobs are meh but I would want to forge my own path, that means picking my own QB, going to a team with 2 top 11 picks, and build something where the initial expectation isn't sky high because I don't have a veteran QB on a massive guaranteed contract; even if that QB is clearly declining. 

Definitely to each their own, but Houston job entices me more than the Denver job. 

I can understand both sides, but historically, I just view Denver as a significantly better organization and better environment.  Yes, Houston may have better opportunities in the short term, but with an unsettled organization (yes, Denver just fired Hackett, but he was also hired by the previous owner before the sale), I'd probably be more cautious about taking that opportunity...I'd certainly still do it, because it's 1 of 32 jobs, but even if the veteran QB may be declining, I may also have the ego to think I can resurrect him.  Plus, it also helps that the existing talent on Denver's roster far surpasses that of Houston.  

Edited by swede700

I'd also choose Houston if I were Ryans for two reasons: Denver is stuck with Wilson and has limited draft capital to bolster the team elsewhere. Denver also has John Elway in a significant front office role. He hasn't made a good personnel decision since signing Peyton Manning, and that's something that fell into his lap. 

Say what you will about ownership in Houston, but if you flop there, it will be blamed on Houston being Houston. Much like Belichick wasn't tarnished by Cleveland being Cleveland.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I'd also choose Houston if I were Ryans for two reasons: Denver is stuck with Wilson and has limited draft capital to bolster the team elsewhere. Denver also has John Elway in a significant front office role. He hasn't made a good personnel decision since signing Peyton Manning, and that's something that fell into his lap. 

Say what you will about ownership in Houston, but if you flop there, it will be blamed on Houston being Houston. Much like Belichick wasn't tarnished by Cleveland being Cleveland.

Elway hasn’t been involved with Denver’s decision making since he stepped down and they hired George Paton. Every Denver insider has debunked that idea. 

Denver’s draft capital is as diminished as you may think. They still have a 1st round pick this year from SF, and they have two 3rd rounders in the top 5 of that respective round. 

The roster also has significantly more talent. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. 

And the easiest way to work around the salary cap is cash. The Broncos have the richest owners in the league. 

14 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Well, that was the iteration that became the Ravens.  The current iteration of Browns...none of the HCs, except for Pat Shurmur, have ever got another chance.  So they certainly were tarnished.  

Edited by swede700