Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

The Colts are getting closer to making a decision on their head coaching opening, as they have begun narrowing their long list of candidates to a short list of finalists.

Broncos defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero has joined that list, and Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports Evero will have a second interview in Indianapolis.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/24/report-ejiro-evero-getting-second-interview-with-colts/

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

not sure how Desai could beat out Fangio for it when everyone seems to want Fangio. But I assume Fangio will have multiple options if he wants to be a DC again.

I think it comes down to relationships and longevity. Similar to the idea of choosing Flores or Desai in Minnesota. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Everyone’s dream, and everyone’s nightmare in one tweet. 

Although the logical side of me think that Pettine would be their last resort. Otherwise, he’d have likely been moved into the role during the season. 

The optimist in me wants to think Kwesi and Kevin wanted to bring in Flores today, but everyone had to settle for tomorrow for logistical issues, and they didnt want to waste a day, so they called good ole Mike into the office for the "interview"

please let that be it.

• Like 2

O’Connell could have hired Pettine as his DC last year, and he didn’t. He could have fire Donatell mid season and moved Pettine into that role, but he didn’t. So, I don’t get the sense that it’s his first, second, or third choice. 

But worse case scenario, you’re waiting for Flores, Desai signs with Miami, Nielsen signs with Atlanta, and Flores gets the Arizona HC job. Then what? Knowing what Pettine’s plan would be gives you a last resort option without being totally blindsided. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

O’Connell could have hired Pettine as his DC last year, and he didn’t. He could have fire Donatell mid season and moved Pettine into that role, but he didn’t. So, I don’t get the sense that it’s his first, second, or third choice. 

But worse case scenario, you’re waiting for Flores, Desai signs with Miami, Nielsen signs with Atlanta, and Flores gets the Arizona HC job. Then what? Knowing what Pettine’s plan would be gives you a last resort option without being totally blindsided. 

Or...how about this...expand the hiring pool! 

• Like 2

Like I indicated in the other thread, yes, he probably wouldn't inspire many, but he has been a pretty good DC in his career.  Look at the Packers since he left...they're worse now, and he had them up to the middle of the pack when he was let go.