Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

That Saints D is good because of Dennis Allen now the HC, it is not because of Ryan in my opinion.  Dennis Allen was the DC for the Saints for 6 years before coming the HC last year.    This Nielsen was the DL coach before that, and the Vikings pass on Andre Patterson as the DC last year and if they give this guy the DC job instead, that is a bit odd.

Dolphins interviewing Desai as well, honestly that would be a better situation and they have better defensive players.  

Dolphins have a way better DL with Wilkins, Davis and Sieler.  They also have Ogbah but he was hurt.  On the edge got Phillips, Chubb and Van Ginkel.  Baker in the middle but need to add another ILB potentially with Roberts maybe out.  Xavien Howard is a star CB obviously then Byron Jones, Holland and young guy in Kohou.  Not totally complete but have a better base to start from than the Vikings

Seems like an odd double standard to knock Nielsen. Don’t understand the love for Patterson. What has Desai done, he’s not a DC either? 

Edited by vikingsrule

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Seems like an odd double standard to knock Nielsen. Don’t understand the love for Patterson. What has Desai done, he’s not a DC either? 

Desai is young with a very impressive academic background and communication style.  That is what he has going for him but maybe he is the HC in waiting in Seattle, who knows.  

As for no "love" for Andre Patterson, well if you think Andre Patterson is a bad coach you are very misinformed.  I am saying why give this guy from the Saints a DC job as a former DL coach if you did not even give Patterson a chance as a DL coach who literally was the co defensive coordinator and associate HC on the Vikings, who was with the Vikings for what 7 years, well 9 if you count that one year he spent as the DL coach in 1998-99?  

Get rid of Zimmer's guys I guess sure but in terms of pure coaching record, Andre Patterson beats Nielsen easily.  Nielsen has only been in the pros since 2017, Patterson has been in the pros on and off since 1997. Was a gap in their from 2007-2013 where he was in college.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

That Saints D is good because of Dennis Allen now the HC, it is not because of Ryan in my opinion.  Dennis Allen was the DC for the Saints for 6 years before coming the HC last year.    This Nielsen was the DL coach before that, and the Vikings pass on Andre Patterson as the DC last year and if they give this guy the DC job instead, that is a bit odd.

Dolphins interviewing Desai as well, honestly that would be a better situation and they have better defensive players.  

Dolphins have a way better DL with Wilkins, Davis and Sieler.  They also have Ogbah but he was hurt.  On the edge got Phillips, Chubb and Van Ginkel.  Baker in the middle but need to add another ILB potentially with Roberts maybe out.  Xavien Howard is a star CB obviously then Byron Jones, Holland and young guy in Kohou.  Not totally complete but have a better base to start from than the Vikings

I don't remember this from a year ago did you have the same opinion of our current head coach being under Sean McVay?

17 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

I don't remember this from a year ago did you have the same opinion of our current head coach being under Sean McVay?

A bit, and you do realize O'Connell was the 2nd choice behind DeMeco Ryans wasn't he?  If Ryans wanted to he would have been the HC of the Vikings.

O'Connell and the Vikings offense did well, he handled himself well as a HC but if he had a lot to do with bringing in Donatell well that was a pretty big mistake.  Same with the likes of Chris Rumph and possible Daronte Jones and both were like 2nd hand hires because who they wanted did not want to come or was hired by someone else.

Then again maybe it was more the GM who clearly had a pretty suspect draft and outside of the Hockenson trade made some pretty so so moves in terms of the roster.  It is still early sure but again why hire a former DL coach one year DC in Nielsen if they did not hire a more proven and experienced coach in Patterson last year?

Really though who cares, the roster has some massive issues, zero good slot corners, maybe one or two decent boundary corners if that, no real solid NT, no real identity as a team honestly.  Not very physical as a unit so the roster has to improve and if not they will have similar results. 

The identity of the team this year was what, come back from behind and barely win the football game?  Some considered that clutch others consider that a team not good enough to dominate other teams so when they win they barely do so.  Not exactly a winning formula in the Playoffs.  

11 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Do you have a source on that?

O'Connell was not the first choice I do recall that, there were a lot of names that came and gone and he was not the 1st one.  I guess what it was Jim Harbaugh and after him it should have been Ryans honestly.  Maybe he declined the 2nd interview because it was a Rooney Rule interview only and if so that is pretty sad, but to pretend Ryans is not a great potential HC, well he is and it is just a matter of time till he gets his chance.

It does seem Kwesi just hires coordinators he knows which could be a problem.  Kind of worked out with O'Connell some what, did not with Donatell....hopefully he can expand his thinking a bit.

It is curious how much input does the HC, OC and DC have in drafting.  Because the 49ers have a connection between the front office, coaching staff and the players they bring in.  The Vikings do not have that connection and do not have that blue print of this is a Viking guy.  The 49ers do and know what they are looking for.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

O'Connell was not the first choice I do recall that, there were a lot of names that came and gone and he was not the 1st one.  I guess what it was Jim Harbaugh and after him it should have been Ryans honestly.  Maybe he declined the 2nd interview because it was a Rooney Rule interview only and if so that is pretty sad, but to pretend Ryans is not a great potential HC, well he is and it is just a matter of time till he gets his chance.

Man, that’s a lot of words to just say you made it up. 

harbaugh also wasn’t the first choice. They brought him in and said no to him, not the other way around. 

no one is saying anything bad about Ryans. I think he’ll be a very good hc eventually. But it seems like from the second interview they had with Kevin and including kwesi, they all hit it off where he became the obvious choice. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

Man, that’s a lot of words to just say you made it up. 

harbaugh also wasn’t the first choice. They brought him in and said no to him, not the other way around. 

no one is saying anything bad about Ryans. I think he’ll be a very good hc eventually. But it seems like from the second interview they had with Kevin and including kwesi, they all hit it off where he became the obvious choice. 

I took that decline of the 2nd interview as Ryans did not want the job and wanted to be a DC one more year.  I assume if Ryans went ahead with it he could have easily been the choice and was ahead in line of O'Connell I thought.  Either way give me Ryans as a HC all day long term of O'Connell.  Could be like declining to hire Mike Tomlin back in the day as the HC which the Vikings did do.  

But O'Connell is not the problem potentially, it could be the GM if he keeps making suspect draft day choices.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Then again maybe it was more the GM who clearly had a pretty suspect draft and outside of the Hockenson trade made some pretty so so moves in terms of the roster.  It is still early sure but again why hire a former DL coach one year DC in Nielsen if they did not hire a more proven and experienced coach in Patterson last year?

Signing Duke Shelley and Khyiris Tonga was so-so? I guess we have different definitions of so-so.

Edited by AP_allday2869

25 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

O'Connell was not the first choice I do recall that, there were a lot of names that came and gone and he was not the 1st one.  I guess what it was Jim Harbaugh....

that is such revisionist history. making stories up to fit a narrative you push yourself and insist is reality.

you should run for president.

• Like 5