Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

19 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Signing Duke Shelley and Khyiris Tonga was so-so? I guess we have different definitions of so-so.

Yes, those two are nice fillers but neither one are game changes in any way.  And both are free agents again right, so cannot even call them part of the roster/team yet because they have not signed long term deals.  

Does that make up for signing Sullivan one of the worst slot corners in the NFL?  Tonga was good but NT should have been addressed far before signing him.  Tonga was great at BYU and very solid in the preseason for the Bears but they let him go because they did not need him.   Shelley was one of the only productive corners available with any starting experience at all, and with his build was not a surprise he out played (Sullivan) and others because he fits the bill as a corner who has agility side to side and is not just a straight line guy.  I still think Shelley would be better in the slot.

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yes, those two are nice fillers but neither one are game changes in any way.  And both are free agents again right, so cannot even call them part of the roster/team yet because they have not signed long term deals.  

Does that make up for signing Sullivan one of the worst slot corners in the NFL?  Tonga was good but NT should have been addressed far before signing him.  Tonga was great at BYU and very solid in the preseason for the Bears but they let him go because they did not need him.   Shelley was one of the only productive corners available with any starting experience at all, and with his build was not a surprise he out played (Sullivan) and others because he fits the bill as a corner who has agility side to side and is not just a straight line guy.  I still think Shelley would be better in the slot.

If you expect perfection, expect disappointment. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You are crazy. Shelly made a ton of important plays for us. He literally saved a touchdown in the end zone during the Bills game which actually kept us in the game, for example. It was one-on-one with Gabe Davis (I think)  and he played that long fade perfectly. 

• Like 2

The Cardinals are set to interview former Saints head coach Sean Payton for the first time later this week and they are also moving forward with a second round of interviews.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that the team is set to fly Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn in for a second interview. Quinn met with the team virtually last weekend.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/24/dan-quinn-schedules-second-interview-with-cardinals/

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The Cardinals are set to interview former Saints head coach Sean Payton for the first time later this week and they are also moving forward with a second round of interviews.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that the team is set to fly Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn in for a second interview. Quinn met with the team virtually last weekend.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/24/dan-quinn-schedules-second-interview-with-cardinals/

Flores was supposed to interview with the Cardinals yesterday. We'll hear soon I guess if he's selected for the 2nd round. If not, it could be smooth sailing for the DC role if the Vikes want him for it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

O'Connell was not the first choice I do recall that, there were a lot of names that came and gone and he was not the 1st one.  I guess what it was Jim Harbaugh and after him it should have been Ryans honestly.  Maybe he declined the 2nd interview because it was a Rooney Rule interview only and if so that is pretty sad, but to pretend Ryans is not a great potential HC, well he is and it is just a matter of time till he gets his chance.

It does seem Kwesi just hires coordinators he knows which could be a problem.  Kind of worked out with O'Connell some what, did not with Donatell....hopefully he can expand his thinking a bit.

It is curious how much input does the HC, OC and DC have in drafting.  Because the 49ers have a connection between the front office, coaching staff and the players they bring in.  The Vikings do not have that connection and do not have that blue print of this is a Viking guy.  The 49ers do and know what they are looking for.  

Nathaniel Hackett, as I understand, was rumored to be in significant consideration before he was hired by the Broncos.  DeMeco Ryans turned down the 2nd interview rather quickly, so there can be no knowledge by you or anyone as to whether he was their preferred choice or not.  For all we know, KOC may have been the primary choice after his initial interview all along, as he was one of the limited 2nd interviewees.  Of course, lots of people were rumored, as they did a lot of initial interviews, but the order may have only been because of availability, not preference. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Nathaniel Hackett, as I understand, was rumored to be in significant consideration before he was hired by the Broncos.  DeMeco Ryans turned down the 2nd interview rather quickly, so there can be no knowledge by you or anyone as to whether he was their preferred choice or not.  For all we know, KOC may have been the primary choice after his initial interview all along, as he was one of the limited 2nd interviewees.  

here is the tracker to refresh everyone.

https://www.vikings.com/news/head-coach-tracker-hire-position

K/O, Raheem Morris, and Patrick Graham got 2nd round interviews. 

Ryans was offered a 2nd round interview and declined.

Harbaugh bypassed 1st round and had a "second" round interview.

Hackett was offered and accepted by Broncos before 2nd round began for the Vikings.

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, vike daddy said:

why isn't Raheem Morris being considered? would we have to buy out his contract or something?

I believe McVay has given all coaches permission to seek opportunities elsewhere. Morris is getting a few HC interviews, if hired to be the Vikings DC, he'd probably be a one-and-done although some have speculated the same regarding Flores. 

• Like 2

The Texans’ search for a new head coach is moving on to a second round of interviews this week and Broncos defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero remains in the hunt.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that Evero has scheduled a second interview with Houston.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/24/texans-set-second-interview-with-ejiro-evero/