Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

While most of this article is under a paywall, here's some snippets that I think are important.

The Vikings have participated in the shift. In 2022, Minnesota played 80.2 percent of its snaps with five defensive backs (nickel). Typically, the Vikings supplemented those players in coverage with two linebackers and four down linemen. Their defensive structure was neither a 3-4 nor a 4-3. Instead, more often than any other personnel grouping, it was a 4-2-5.

Coach Kevin O’Connell admitted last week that some defenders acclimated to their new roles better than others. The most illuminative example may lie in the play of linebacker Eric Kendricks and how he had to play zone coverage. In years past, under Mike Zimmer, most of Kendricks’ coverage responsibilities hinged on watching the quarterback. In Ed Donatell’s defense, however, Kendricks seemed to be tasked with identifying routes as they developed both in front of him and to his sides.

Here’s an example: If Minnesota decides it wants to build its future defense around Kendricks at linebacker, it would make sense to hire a coordinator whose scheme jives with what makes Kendricks as effective as possible. Brian Flores, for example, succeeded in Miami with numerous packages that used linebackers as blitzers.

https://theathletic.com/4115421/2023/01/23/vikings-defensive-coordinator-kirk-cousins-contract/

7 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Wasn't it more of a 2-4-5?

Well, it depends upon the definition.  Technically, since Danielle and Z are LBs, probably yes...but since they were often on the line standing up, they essentially acted as DEs.  

I think I’m starting to lean more towards wanting Desai over Flores. 

Flores would be a fantastic option if the team had more pieces in place on defense, but with the defensive roster essentially needing to be reset it’s going to take 2-3 years to rebuild the defense. It’s not going to be a one year turnaround. And I don’t think Flores would be here to see the process through. So, what happens then?

A coach like Desai is far more likely to be with the team through the defensive rebuild. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I think I’m starting to lean more towards wanting Desai over Flores. 

Flores would be a fantastic option if the team had more pieces in place on defense, but with the defensive roster essentially needing to be reset it’s going to take 2-3 years to rebuild the defense. It’s not going to be a one year turnaround. And I don’t think Flores would be here to see the process through. So, what happens then?

A coach like Desai is far more likely to be with the team through the defensive rebuild. 

not knowing anything really about these coaches, that's exactly how i feel. going through a new coordinator every year isn't ideal by any means.

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That Saints D is good because of Dennis Allen now the HC, it is not because of Ryan in my opinion.  Dennis Allen was the DC for the Saints for 6 years before coming the HC last year.    This Nielsen was the DL coach before that, and the Vikings pass on Andre Patterson as the DC last year and if they give this guy the DC job instead, that is a bit odd.

Dolphins interviewing Desai as well, honestly that would be a better situation and they have better defensive players.  

Dolphins have a way better DL with Wilkins, Davis and Sieler.  They also have Ogbah but he was hurt.  On the edge got Phillips, Chubb and Van Ginkel.  Baker in the middle but need to add another ILB potentially with Roberts maybe out.  Xavien Howard is a star CB obviously then Byron Jones, Holland and young guy in Kohou.  Not totally complete but have a better base to start from than the Vikings

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That Saints D is good because of Dennis Allen now the HC, it is not because of Ryan in my opinion.  Dennis Allen was the DC for the Saints for 6 years before coming the HC last year.    This Nielsen was the DL coach before that, and the Vikings pass on Andre Patterson as the DC last year and if they give this guy the DC job instead, that is a bit odd.

Dolphins interviewing Desai as well, honestly that would be a better situation and they have better defensive players.  

Dolphins have a way better DL with Wilkins, Davis and Sieler.  They also have Ogbah but he was hurt.  On the edge got Phillips, Chubb and Van Ginkel.  Baker in the middle but need to add another ILB potentially with Roberts maybe out.  Xavien Howard is a star CB obviously then Byron Jones, Holland and young guy in Kohou.  Not totally complete but have a better base to start from than the Vikings

Vikings aren’t the only team interviewing Nielsen so there must be something to him that knowledgeable people in the league like about him; whether you attribute the saints defensive successes to him or not. 

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Vikings aren’t the only team interviewing Nielsen so there must be something to him that knowledgeable people in the league like about him; whether you attribute the saints defensive successes to him or not. 

Certain guys in the league are defensive guys, Dennis Allen is one of them.  Kind of like Fangio and the Broncos last year, obviously it was more about Fangio providing the defensive knowledge and system than Ed Donatell.  See how he was without Fangio and I thought that when they hired Donatell.

Maybe this Nielsen is decent but yeah that D is solid because of Dennis Allen.