Donatell fired, who might be our next DC? (Evero to CAR, p.35)

vike daddy

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If Fangio wants to coach, I don’t see any logical reason as to how or why he would land in Miami. 

Especially since Fangio and McDaniel have been in Houston, Denver and San Francisco, all at different times.  🤣

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

They just won 13 games. They’re sailing in the right direction. 

He’s obviously referring to the defensive side of the ball.  In which he is 100% correct.  They’re not at all sailing in the right direction. They’re terrible. 

He is correct. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Yep, lets just ignore the 31st defensive ranking. It did not contribute to the Vikings playoff exit. 

sarcasm is always the last refuge of a boring argument.

there isn't ANYONE here who is ignoring or downplaying the fact that we had a lousy, lousy defense. no one. not does anyone here state that we didn't have a lousy defense.

it's just that what we're really talking about here is who our next DC might be, and what pros and cons those suspects carry with them. it's a far more interesting topic than beating that horse even more dead.

• Like 3

The Minnesota PTSD in me says we hire Pettine, who has never been good other than when we coached with Rex Ryan. Even then, it was Ryan's defense and Rex was calling the plays. But I do think KOC will do the right thing and hire outside of the organization. Akin to the offense, I believe he will hire a young, up and coming coach which will give the defense some life and "zest."

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

sarcasm is always the last refuge of a boring argument.

there isn't ANYONE here who is ignoring or downplaying the fact that we had a lousy, lousy defense. no one. not does anyone here state that we didn't have a lousy defense.

it's just that what we're really talking about here is who our next DC might be, and what pros and cons those suspects carry with them. it's a far more interesting topic than beating that horse even more dead.

Personally, I didn’t feel he was the one being needlessly sarcastic.  

But your point is correct - who will be the next DC is both interesting and the point of the thread. 

• Like 1

As was brought up, we were the 31st defense this year. That was with players that didn’t fit the system, aging and slow players, a scheme that was as rigid as the coach who implemented the scheme, and lacked any semblance of aggression or gameplay week in and week out. I will also be upset if Pettine ends up being the guy who takes the reins, but with an eye towards positivity… we were 31st in the league on defense and we cannot get much worse. Be it through free agency or the draft, we will surely bring in fresh players. The scheme will also surely be adjusted to some extent. KOC and Kwesi understand this because they did end up firing Ed, which means they aren’t ignorant to the fact that the defense is what hampered this team. It won’t take a monumental upgrade to make us that much more competitive. Jumping from 31 to say.. 22-25 probably is the difference in 1-2 games per year. 

• Like 1