Grading the Positions

onejayhawk

Give a letter grade for the quality of the top 100 players, ie first two days, by position. If there is a lot of day #3 depth at the position add a + or a - if the position is unusually thin.

QB - 
RB - 
WR - 
TE - 
OT - 
IOL - 

Edge - 
IDL - 
LB - 
S - 
CB - 

Edited by onejayhawk

QB - C-  There are a few legitimate guys at the top, but neither one is special, and the depth is abysmal.
RB - B+  There are a lot of second tier quality guys in this class, two standouts, and great depth
WR - B-  The top level talent isn't what you want, and the late depth is lacking, but there's a ton of second and third tier talent
TE - B  Two potentially special talents, and some other good options for an above average class
OT - A  There isn't more than one of the level of Ekwonu or Neal as prospects, but there are still day 1 starters, second, third, and depth options aplenty
IOL - A+  The best center class in memory, with lots of OTs that can slide inside, and a ton of talented OGs as well

Edge - A-  From top end talent to depth, every level is stacked
IDL - D+  A really weak class, with two standout guys and some meh
LB - C-  There are some talented players, but there aren't many, and the depth is bad
S - D+  Unless you're including some corners switching to S, this class is just plain bad.  Best player is second tier IMO
CB - A-  Just a ton of great players all over

QB - B  :  Really not bad for a draft class,  depth is difficult with the ability to stay longer now
RB - B+ :  Great depth throughout,   pretty much any style you could want throughout the entire draft.
WR - B+ :   Same as RB
TE - B+  :   Same as WR
OT - C+:    Downgraded a bit, as I don't think it's as strong up top,  will push guys going earlier than they should.   Value should even out over the course of the draft though,                      deep in terms of talent.
IOL - A+:   I'm not sure I've seen a Center class this well stocked.   Guards seem a little light, but the amount of T's and C's  I'm sure there will be plenty of converts.

Edge - A  :   Deeep.   I think these is going to be value on the board all the way through the 6th Round
IDL - D-  :   Gross
LB - C- :   A slight step up from Gross.
S - C   :   I don't find many that are interchangeable,   but there's quite a few that will hang around in specific packages.
CB - A+ :   Two crazy good/deep CB classes in a row.     Again I think there will be value till, at least, the 6th Round.

I don't get how you guys are so on top of it already lol. The positions I'd say I like as exceptionally deep so far are cornerback and defensive end. Outside of Jalen Carter I'm struggling to find another 3tech I like as high round, some nose tackles that if they don't go too early will make teams happy. Tight End looks pretty good with even a probably UDFA in Jaheel Billingsley being at least talented enough to maybe cut it on a roster and emerge as a seam threat if he tests well. Runningback has a lot of at least rotation guys. Wide Reciever is on the smaller end and I am not a fan of the larger framed guys like Quentin Johnson, some of the small frame guys look exciting though. QB isn't special but Stroud seems like a fair bet to be a franchise guy. Bryce has tools to maybe be special, but in the wrong scenario I would be scared. Levis is too volatile to push a grade either way and Richardson's tools are off the charts great but once again too volatile to push it one way or another. I think some "no tools" QBs in the class could stick for a bit if they find the right system to master as well. If all four played to potential it would be an all time class though.  Offensive line isn't great so far, but looks littered with depth and fine pieces -- just I haven't seen a "that's a franchise building block" type prospect like I felt with Thomas/Wirfs or Sewell/Darrisaw.

I am getting that this is a blue collar draft but not lacking in star power. Prime defensive positions like Edge and CB stand out but also grunt jobs like IOL and TE. 

How can IDL be that bad? Bryan Bresee, Mazi Smith, and Siaki Ika looked solid even before Jalen Carter jumped in. There are also a bunch of tweeners like Kancey and attack dogs like Brooks and Newton. To me, this looks a good draft for the animals.

22 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Give a letter grade for the quality of the top 100 players by position. If there is a lot of day #3 depth at the position add a +. If the position is unusually thin give a -.

QB - 
RB - 
WR - 
TE - 
OT - 
IOL - 

Edge - 
IDL - 
LB - 
S - 
CB - 

Sir top 100 players?  Max what a good position gets 25-30 players drafted and really that is only WRs.  There are not 100 QBs worth drafting, could argue there is no position where there are 100 players worth drafting.  Sure players exist but not all are NFL prospects.  

QB - C :Decent talent at the top then drops off big time with so many QBs returning to school.
RB - B + :Very deep class with good value throughout
WR - C + Some solid players but not super high end
TE - B + :Super deep class, good players potentially in ever round and tons of big guys
OT - B :Ok group just not super high end
OG - C :Ok group but not real stars, Patterson, Skornoski and Wright could be the best guards and all play other positions.
C - A :One of the best classes in years, very good group

Edge - B+ :A lot of depth and very solid players
DT - C :Not awful just a lot of top players did not dominate this past year
LB - C + :Ok group with a few potential stars at the top
S - C :Very deep group but not super high end guys, might not have one drafted in the 1st round but we will see
CB - A :Very deep group obviously with a lot of talent, could get a very good player in the 3rd round

Hard time giving a D or a F honestly because each group has players who if they hit it will make the entire position look solid, and there are players in each group who are very interesting.  Hard to compare classes to previous years.  There is no class that is just awful, college football is loaded with talent and there is talent at every position.  NBA is where classes can be awful and there is lacking in talent coming into the league at times.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Sir top 100 players?  Max what a good position gets 25-30 players drafted and really that is only WRs.  There are not 100 QBs worth drafting, could argue there is no position where there are 100 players worth drafting.  Sure players exist but not all are NFL prospects.  

QB - C :Decent talent at the top then drops off big time with so many QBs returning to school.
RB - B + :Very deep class with good value throughout
WR - C + Some solid players but not super high end
TE - B + :Super deep class, good players potentially in ever round and tons of big guys
OT - B :Ok group just not super high end
OG - C :Ok group but not real stars, Patterson, Skornoski and Wright could be the best guards and all play other positions.
C - A :One of the best classes in years, very good group

Edge - B+ :A lot of depth and very solid players
DT - C :Not awful just a lot of top players did not dominate this past year
LB - C + :Ok group with a few potential stars at the top
S - C :Very deep group but not super high end guys, might not have one drafted in the 1st round but we will see
CB - A :Very deep group obviously with a lot of talent, could get a very good player in the 3rd round

Hard time giving a D or a F honestly because each group has players who if they hit it will make the entire position look solid, and there are players in each group who are very interesting.  Hard to compare classes to previous years.  There is no class that is just awful, college football is loaded with talent and there is talent at every position.  NBA is where classes can be awful and there is lacking in talent coming into the league at times.  

It's the top 100 players, not top 100 at each position. I'll change the OP. 

I know what you mean about Ds and Fs. The Chiefs found Noah Gray, a very serviceable TE2, on day #3 of a dreadful TE class. 

1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

It's the top 100 players, not top 100 at each position. I'll change the OP. 

I know what you mean about Ds and Fs. The Chiefs found Noah Gray, a very serviceable TE2, on day #3 of a dreadful TE class. 

That class had Pitts, Pat Freiermuth, Kylen Granson, Tommy Tremble, Jon Bates etc.  But sure that was not a very deep class at all compared to say this year where a ton of TEs should be drafted and many will fall through the cracks.  Gray was a very good find but the kid also athletically worked out great and really impressed there.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That class had Pitts, Pat Freiermuth, Kylen Granson, Tommy Tremble, Jon Bates etc.  But sure that was not a very deep class at all compared to say this year where a ton of TEs should be drafted and many will fall through the cracks.  Gray was a very good find but the kid also athletically worked out great and really impressed there.  

Exactly. Pitts shines in any class but you are already in the rough after 5 players. Only 10 have NFL stats.

Bates was taken day #3. Tre' Mckitty was picked toward the end of round #3, about the depth I am inquiring in this thread. Where would he rank this year? That said, Gray was ranked ahead of some of the players taken before him, possibly because of the amount he needed to learn. 

I forgot about Granson. That was a nice 4th round pick. 

On 1/20/2023 at 11:26 AM, onejayhawk said:

Give a letter grade for the quality of the top 100 players, ie first two days, by position. If there is a lot of day #3 depth at the position add a + or a - if the position is unusually thin.

QB - B+
RB - A
WR - C
TE - C+
OT - C-
IOL - C

Edge - C+
IDL - B-
LB - C-
S - C+
CB - A+

Not a fan of this class, but the CB and RB classes are gonna be insane. 

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Same. The corner class is everything people said the edge class would be. We're gonna see a real reversal at those spots as the draft season progresses. 

CB is the one position group that basically everyone has vastly different rankings for right now.