Conference Championship Round: San Francisco 49ers at Philadelphia Eagles

J-ALL-DAY

37 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Some folks will always wonder..."WTF were you doing Kyle putting Kroft on Riddick on such a long developing play?"

I mean, we literally have been doing that all season...And forever with Shanny and other teams do the same thing. The problem was that the Eagles edges were well coached and were not going to fall for the play action and were going to go straight to Purdy...That actually led to a few big runs but they were willing to give that up. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean, we literally have been doing that all season...And forever with Shanny and other teams do the same thing. The problem was that the Eagles edges were well coached and were not going to fall for the play action and were going to go straight to Purdy...That actually led to a few big runs but they were willing to give that up. 

Yeah, but my goodness maybe try and establish the run game first. Or change the game plan heading in.

Also, Kroft wasn't active last week against Dallas, but was this week...and yeah...you're going against one of the most historically stacked group of pass rushers...just don't put a third string tight end on the guy who has 17 plus sacks. Just no...Unless you have yourself a Jason Dunn, Ben Watson, or Dwayne Carswell type of TE blocker that can legit act as a second lineman if necessary...don't...not on such a long developing play. 

Kyle just does goofy **** sometimes that lead to QB injuries. Why is Brock Purdy or even Jimmy G being used on QB draw plays? Why is Trey Lance being used like a 1980's fullback??? 

Love Kyle as our coach still, but he has clear drawbacks even to the layman which I hope overtime improve. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

6 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Definitely the most unique way to lose a championship game. Just sucks it happened to arguably the best 49ers team since I think 1997. Not sure where I would rank it in the list of losses over the years, because you're right there basically was no game, and the Eagles were essentially giftwrapped a win. 

Reminds me a bit of a mix between the 1986 divisional game and the 1990 championship game. Some all time brutal stuff thrown together. (I did not watch these live, but digested them after the fact as institutional learning). The elbow injury Montana got in the '86 game led to the trade for Steve Young (who had a lot of problems with the timing of the offense and with completion percentage in his first year or two in spite of being a really impressive athlete and eventually becoming among the most accurate passers ever to play in the NFL). There's a lot of things about this team that feel familiar, even if the quality of the players involved are certainly different. The use of running backs and tight ends out wide to attack mismatches and force smaller defenses that can be run against is an old, old Walsh staple. I get the Tom Brady thing. This is a top group of guys and you'd like to ensure the best chance at getting over the hump once. And the train for giving yourself 4 chances to do it with Purdy goes out the window if he needs Tommy John. But if he doesn't have it, I'd like to see things come back (probably minus Mike McGlinchey to the Bears). The team was the best in the NFL over the second half of the season (given that Hurts was out a good chunk of that time). You can't keep this core together for any period of time and have a well paid quarterback. It is one or the other. And while that quarterback can cover some of the loss, Purdy was playing at a higher level than some give him credit for. It is going to be harder to make up that much ground over him than it was with Jimmy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Reminds me a bit of a mix between the 1986 divisional game and the 1990 championship game. Some all time brutal stuff thrown together. (I did not watch these live, but digested them after the fact as institutional learning). The elbow injury Montana got in the '86 game led to the trade for Steve Young (who had a lot of problems with the timing of the offense and with completion percentage in his first year or two in spite of being a really impressive athlete and eventually becoming among the most accurate passers ever to play in the NFL). There's a lot of things about this team that feel familiar, even if the quality of the players involved are certainly different. The use of running backs and tight ends out wide to attack mismatches and force smaller defenses that can be run against is an old, old Walsh staple. I get the Tom Brady thing. This is a top group of guys and you'd like to ensure the best chance at getting over the hump once. And the train for giving yourself 4 chances to do it with Purdy goes out the window if he needs Tommy John. But if he doesn't have it, I'd like to see things come back (probably minus Mike McGlinchey to the Bears). The team was the best in the NFL over the second half of the season (given that Hurts was out a good chunk of that time). You can't keep this core together for any period of time and have a well paid quarterback. It is one or the other. And while that quarterback can cover some of the loss, Purdy was playing at a higher level than some give him credit for. It is going to be harder to make up that much ground over him than it was with Jimmy.

Strangely enough Montana got hurt in the '86 game fairly early. Walsh tried to flare out his guards to protect against Banks/Taylor, but that left center Fred Qullian on Jim Burt...and well...Fred lost, and so did Montana. 49ers probably weren't beating that Giants team anyway (even choked earlier at home that season in primetime against them). The team certainly wasn't on this huge roll the last few weeks of the season stomping folks, and could have easily missed the playoffs. Part of the reason why the 49ers this year having their season end the way it did feels like a big cheat. I can't remember a game for the 49ers in their playoff history that snowballed like that. Sure they've gotten blown out in others, but usually it was just because the other team was clearly better. We never got to see what really would have happened between these two squads. 

1990 is the worst playoff L ever in franchise history. Don't see that ever being leapfrogged. 

As for Purdy, if his injury isn't that serious, then yeah it would be ideal to bring him back with the franchise giving him a shot to head into the season as a starter. We'll see what the medical report says. Brady looks cooked, but at the same time he just doesn't miss games. And that's just getting super annoying to deal with as a fan. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

Random, but this comment from a 49ers fan elsewhere was a bit sad. Stemmed from a discussion talking about the playoff losses over the years. 

This. That was the worst for me. (1990 Craig fumble)

I'm at a point where all these losses have added up to a point where even if we win one its not worth all this pain amd heartache. 6 heartbreaks since 2011 is just too much for me to take. I'm not a young guy anymore and this team is just too cursed.

I can see this perspective. People had the same takes about the Warriors finally getting that first ring. Didn't really take away the heartbreak of previous seasons, and it was more so relief for some compared to utter joy. 

Sucks, but 9 months is a long time to build up hope again for a lot of people. Even the OGs. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

7 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Brady looks cooked

He looked cooked the last time we saw him play, maybe, but Brady had a really good season all things considered. The running game was non existent most games, OL was in shambles, and the WRs were always banged up. Tied for 2nd in the league in drops as well

The Carolina game in week 17 was his peak while the playoff game was probably the valley. If we get in between, that's better than anything Jimmy G has given us for a full year.

He would probably have to take a discount, but he's done it before 

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Random, but this comment from a 49ers fan elsewhere was a bit sad. Stemmed from a discussion talking about the playoff losses over the years. 

I can see this perspective. Sucks, but 9 months is a long time to build up hope again for a lot of people. Even the OGs. 

My dad is a Raiders fan, my moms family lives and dies with every Vikings game... that dude is spoiled 😛

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adamq said:

He looked cooked the last time we saw him play, maybe, but Brady had a really good season all things considered. The running game was non existent most games, OL was in shambles, and the WRs were always banged up. Tied for 2nd in the league in drops as well

The Carolina game in week 17 was his peak while the playoff game was probably the valley. If we get in between, that's better than anything Jimmy G has given us for a full year.

He would probably have to take a discount, but he's done it before 

Yeah, but he was just not on the same page with Mike Evans or Godwin the entire year. And they played most games. I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised if he played better, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he finally looked washed. I'd be indifferent about him being signed. But Kyle/Lynch would get a solid from me for at least trying to do what was within the realm of possibility to avoid having QB injuries again. 

• Like 1

Our run reminds me of the late 2000/early 2010 Ravens. Talented teams that are well coached, win a playoff game every year, but always have a heart breaking loss in the playoffs

We don't have a franchise QB so you can kiss a dynasty goodbye. Only team that looks primed for that kind of run is the Chiefs. Bengals/Bills will probably win 1 at some point

I would guess we'll win 1 SB in the next 3 years, but who knows

Edited by 49ersfan

7 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

How do y'all think we would have done in a hypothetical Chiefs SB matchup, assuming Purdy never gets injured and we win yesterday?

It would have been a good game coming down to the wire, likely the same with the Philly game had Purdy not been hurt. All four teams were pretty much on the same level. 

Man we continue build great teams but then another team comes and builds an even better team. Even if Purdy stays healthy I didn't see us beating the Eagles. It's time to re-load on the D-Line, Let 69 and 99 go and sign a passrusher. The question is will Lance be the man or is Purdy injury serious?. Find out on the next episode of the 2023 Offseason.