Conference Championship Round: San Francisco 49ers at Philadelphia Eagles

J-ALL-DAY

8 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Random, but this comment from a 49ers fan elsewhere was a bit sad. Stemmed from a discussion talking about the playoff losses over the years. 

I can see this perspective. People had the same takes about the Warriors finally getting that first ring. Didn't really take away the heartbreak of previous seasons, and it was more so relief for some compared to utter joy. 

Sucks, but 9 months is a long time to build up hope again for a lot of people. Even the OGs. 

One of my favorite things about sport is the losing aspect. We get a real look into people in what is one of their worst moments. It's almost gross that we get to see it, but I love the idea that people work hard to achieve, fail and then have to work harder to get back. One of my favorite things about competition is winning, but I love watching the other person lose. For me, all losses make the wins better. Just a different perspective.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Geek said:

It's weird because Kinlaw should be strong enough to hold the point in the run game. That should actually be one of redeeming features but he's been getting wrecked recently.

It’s his technique. He thinks he can bully anyone due to his size/strength but it’s all about his pad height. 

• Like 7

After reading some commentary online from some other folks whose opinion I respect, and admittedly my emotions have calmed to a degree, that play which resulted in Purdy's injury doesn't warrant a scapegoat. Just a combo of bad circumstances rolled into one within a split second. Ideally Kroft could have held the block for another nanosecond, and Purdy could have gotten rid of the rock faster, or at least felt the pressure coming. Even though Shanahan is seemingly running through QBs faster than Elizabeth Taylor ran through boyfriends, he's just having an avalanche of luck sequestered in the black. Glock13 getting a UCL injury is just the latest kick to the balls.

On to 2023. The 49ers will be back with a vengeance. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

After reading some commentary online from some other folks whose opinion I respect, and admittedly my emotions have calmed to a degree, that play which resulted in Purdy's injury doesn't warrant a scapegoat. Just a combo of bad circumstances rolled into one within a split second. Ideally Kroft could have held the block for another nanosecond, and Purdy could have gotten rid of the rock faster, or at least felt the pressure coming. Even though Shanahan is seemingly running through QBs faster than Elizabeth Taylor ran through boyfriends, he's just having an avalanche of luck sequestered in the black. Glock13 getting a UCL injury is just the latest kick to the balls.

On to 2023. The 49ers will be back with a vengeance. 

Yep, we run that type of play action numerous times every game. Like Joe Thomas said, don't applaud Shanny for his play designs and he fools defenses by having a TE or FB block DEs, but then get mad when it does not work. It was just unfortunate, that's all. Purdy could have stepped up in the pocket earlier in the drop and if he does that then he avoids that hit and injury. Kroft could have held up for a split second more and Purdy likely still gets it off to Aiyuk. The worst part of it all is that Aiyuk likely scores if Purdy hits him in stride. Bradberry was slipping and would not have caught Aiyuk and then it comes does to CGJ but he had quite a bit of ground to make up. Just terrible all around. 

6 hours ago, AustrianNiner said:

Yep, it's all technique right there. Kinlaw gets too upright but the funny thing is you could pull some clips of Buckner getting washed away from double teams as well. It's hard dealing with those double teams at that size. Have to perfect your technique but how is Kinlaw supposed to do that when he is spending majority of his time recovering from injuries every offseason? This has nothing to do with if he is strong enough to hold it...As he is but his technique is poor at the moment. Really hoping Kalia Davis is going to be a good one and is able to contribute next season. But we are going to need another interior DL that is better at holding double teams. Any cheap free agents that fit the ball? 

Exactly what I said. This is a bad habit of Purdy's and one area where Trey has him beat. Purdy is nimble and can get out of sacks but he just backs up far too much and then likes to spin out even further. Trey does a good job of keeping his eyes down the field and stepping up in the pocket....He has his issues, but his pocket movement is very solid, even at his young age. If Purdy steps up, then that's an easy TD and the hit does not happen.

You can't just judge plays off the end result. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yep, we run that type of play action numerous times every game. Like Joe Thomas said, don't applaud Shanny for his play designs and he fools defenses by having a TE or FB block DEs, but then get mad when it does not work. It was just unfortunate, that's all. Purdy could have stepped up in the pocket earlier in the drop and if he does that then he avoids that hit and injury. Kroft could have held up for a split second more and Purdy likely still gets it off to Aiyuk. The worst part of it all is that Aiyuk likely scores if Purdy hits him in stride. Bradberry was slipping and would not have caught Aiyuk and then it comes does to CGJ but he had quite a bit of ground to make up. Just terrible all around. 

Donte Whitner and JJ Watt still didn't like it, which was interesting, but...obviously Joe who played for Shanahan as an offensive lineman is going to have good insight on it. I know we run that play a bunch, and it was a freak accident against one of the most stacked group of pass rushers that's been collected in a while. I've gone back and forth whether Kyle and his crew could have tried to pound the rock a bit more before going for a knockout punch, but it ultimately doesn't matter. 49ers thought they could get them early there. Eagles just guessed right, and had the talent to make a big play. 

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Donte Whitner and JJ Watt still didn't like it, which was interesting, but...obviously Joe who played for Shanahan as an offensive lineman is going to have good insight on it. I know we run that play a bunch, and it was a freak accident against one of the most stacked group of pass rushers that's been collected in a while. I've gone back and forth whether Kyle and his crew could have tried to pound the rock a bit more before going for a knockout punch, but it ultimately doesn't matter. 49ers thought they could get them early there. Eagles just guessed right, and had the talent to make a big play. 

The issue is if you take the play action element away from this offense, how good is Purdy going to be just as an pure drop back QB? Majority of his big plays he makes is off some sort of PA boots. He had a very clean pocket to step inside and there is a reason QBs like Brady are so durable. Who steps up and avoids outside pressure better than him? Maybe Peyton Manning back in the day? Another QB that was very durable. You just can't be a sitting duck back there and Purdy has escaped some big hits all season but it finally caught up him. Unfortunate for sure. 

• Like 1