Daron Payne? What to do?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Daron Payne? What to do?

• Tag n Trade
    • Re-sign to long term extension
    • Tag him and let him play on tag
    • Let him walk

5 hours ago, offbyone said:

If when we let Payne walk, like many of you are advocating (many of the same people who were dead wrong [just like rivera] about not extending him last offseason), what happens if Jon Allen gets hurt?  

I’m not saying let him walk, I’m saying trade him for multiple picks.

I don't think we get as much as we think we could for Payne. Someone has to give up the resources AND the cap. Not many teams fit that. That said, I was trying to think of who could and landed on the Bears.

Is this enough?

Round 2, No. 56 overall (from Ravens)
Round 4, No. 134 overall (from Eagles)

for Daron Payne

That puts Payne at a total value of about Pick 50.

24 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't think we get as much as we think we could for Payne. Someone has to give up the resources AND the cap. Not many teams fit that. That said, I was trying to think of who could and landed on the Bears.

Is this enough?

for Daron Payne

I’d do it or, we can use him to trade for Lamar… hey now! 😂 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Is this enough?

for Daron Payne

Several teams traded for and then gave big extensions last year. 

On a related note ESPN released a rankings for its top 50 pending FAs and they have Payne #4 overall in the league.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Several teams traded for and then gave big extensions last year. 

On a related note ESPN released a rankings for its top 50 pending FAs and they have Payne #4 overall in the league.

Sure there will be a couple. But how many exactly? Payne isn't a gamechanging WR. 

This is my thoughts regarding the Payne situation.

1) I'm doing everything I can to resign & retain him, barring him wanting to be paid like Albert Haynesworth which is a no-no from me.

2)If he wants to be here, but doesn't like the contract offer? I'll be fine in Tagging him & letting him play out the 1-yr tag.

3)If he doesn't want to be here, because he wants to win, or hates the direction of the team ala Kirk Cousins, Champ Bailey, Trent Williams, etc? Then you Franchise Tag & Trade him.

A) I don't take less than a 2nd Rd pick for him.

You can get a compensatory 3rd rounder just letting him walk & getting paid somewhere else. Which he would 100%. (Like Cousins) Without the hassle of tieing up a bunch of money on him & restricting your FA signings even if temporary from the Tag.

B) If I had to tag & trade him, because he wanted to leave?

I would do everything I could to keep him out of the NFC East & NFC all together, if I could.

With the Tag, we have control over where he goes. If he wanted to leave? I'm not bending over for him to make him happy on his destination, while taking less in compensation because I'm a nice guy.

Look, Payne isn't Reggie White.

But he's a hell of a player. How many years did we go through wanting to solidify our D-line?

We have no idea if Mathis is even half the player Payne is, or how he'll recover from injury.

Payne is home grown & I would much rather not have to worry about that position.

We have other needs to worry about.

But....I also know that a 1st or multiple picks could really make this team even better.

So I guess it really depends on him wanting to stay here vs his value among other teams.

But I'm not afraid to trade him, so long as the value is appropriate.

But I'd prefer him not sacking our QB in an Eagles uniform, if at all possible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 7:00 AM, MikeT14 said:

Is this enough?

for Daron Payne

About a month ago I came across an article that insinuated that Payne would be the unanimous number one target for the bears. And I believe the Redskins MAY not  franchise tag and let him hit the free market according to fellow reporter Ben Standig on the  JP Finlay show.  So they are high on Phidarian Mathis. If this happens were would you allocate the money on which positions. I would say OL. Overall I think we should at consider a tag and trade.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 12:45 AM, 4209 said:

About a month ago I came across an article that insinuated that Payne would be the unanimous number one target for the bears. And I believe the Redskins MAY not  franchise tag and let him hit the free market according to fellow reporter Ben Standig on the  JP Finlay show.  So they are high on Phidarian Mathis. If this happens were would you allocate the money on which positions. I would say OL. Overall I think we should at consider a tag and trade.

Seeing as it makes zero sense to not tag Payne & to let him sign w/ Chicago as a FA so we can get a 3rd round comp pick next year, I’m sure that’s what Rivera will do.

Not tagging & trading Payne is flat out stupid if you can’t re-sign him long term after franchising him. I’m sorry if that offends anyone but that’s the truth.

At worst they get a 2nd & a late round pick if they tag & trade Payne.

I’d love to get the 33rd pick in the NFL draft & a 4th or 5th round pick for Payne. That’d be nice.

With the cap they’d save when trading Payne, they should sign Mike McGlinchey to be their RT, sign James Bradberry, re-sign Holcomb and extend Kam Curl & Montez Sweat.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, offbyone said:

We should trade Payne, Terry, Allen and Way.  I mean why on earth would we keep elite players when we could trade for other players who might be elite <sarcasm>

Does paying $45 mil a year for your starting DTs make sense to you?

It’s not that people don’t want to re-sign Payne, the question is the cost. I mean do I have to point out the obvious that we have had 4 first round DL for our team since 2019 & we’re less than .500 with that?

The entire time 3 of the 4 have been on rookie deals as well. Is the team going to get better just because we pay them more money?

I just don’t know that paying Allen $20 mil per year & paying Payne $25 mil per year is a running formula for this team.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Does paying $45 mil a year for your starting DTs make sense to you?

It depends how impactful they are.  Paying 28M for a qb who sucks doesn't make sense either.  I think we would have lost at minimum 2 more games without Payne which was basically the margin of win change that is rationalized with getting a qb like Wentz and yet Payne is cheaper.  And I think 2 is extremely conservative.  The entire defense rested on the shoulders of Allen and Payne.

It’s not that people don’t want to re-sign Payne, the question is the cost. I mean do I have to point out the obvious that we have had 4 first round DL for our team since 2019 & we’re less than .500 with that?

Not all 4 are elite players nor have they been healthy, so it isn't easy to do the math. 

So far only 2 are elite.  Sweat is clearly not elite and will never be elite.  Despite playing behind the best or very close to best defensive middle in the nfl, he is only good.  Young might be elite, but he has been hurt.  

The entire time 3 of the 4 have been on rookie deals as well. Is the team going to get better just because we pay them more money?

We are the only team that now seems unable to pay players.  You don't pay average, but you pay elite.  We are too busy worrying about if we want to keep Sweat or Young when they so far aren't even as impactful as Payne and who knows if they will want to be here. 

I just don’t know that paying Allen $20 mil per year & paying Payne $25 mil per year is a running formula for this team.

Then you should have offered payne a deal last year but you didn't want to.  Now you have to pay premium rates.  

I do know it wasn't worth paying Wentz and if we had directed that money elsewhere like Payne and oline we would have been in better shape.  This kind of discussion happens constantly here.  Quit overpaying free agents.  Right now we have an elite player on our team who we drafted and you want to get rid of him and pay Bradberry.  As a smart man once said  love the one your with.