Daron Payne? What to do?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Daron Payne? What to do?

• Tag n Trade
    • Re-sign to long term extension
    • Tag him and let him play on tag
    • Let him walk

On 2/19/2023 at 12:45 AM, 4209 said:

About a month ago I came across an article that insinuated that Payne would be the unanimous number one target for the bears. And I believe the Redskins MAY not  franchise tag and let him hit the free market according to fellow reporter Ben Standig on the  JP Finlay show.  So they are high on Phidarian Mathis. If this happens were would you allocate the money on which positions. I would say OL. Overall I think we should at consider a tag and trade.

If they choose to let him walk after there were teams interested in acquiring Payne at the dealine last year then the new owner should fire Rivera the moment he takes over. Might be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

If we didn't consider D Payne "ours" , how interested would you be in signing/ bringing him to the team. I don't think it would be a must do or prioriy . Opinions ?

But that's now how this works. We did draft and develop him. He's 25-years old and when finally given the greenlight to rush the passer as opposed to the assignments he had prior of eating up rushing lanes he came through and produced mightily. These are the players you reward. Its not like we are paying some guy who's 30 years old from another team. I mean, what else should we spend the money on? Should we go sign a bunch of average free agents and let a great player walk? 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But that's now how this works. We did draft and develop him. He's 25-years old and when finally given the greenlight to rush the passer as opposed to the assignments he had prior of eating up rushing lanes he came through and produced mightily. These are the players you reward. Its not like we are paying some guy who's 30 years old from another team. I mean, what else should we spend the money on? Should we go sign a bunch of average free agents and let a great player walk? 

Good points but he cost roughly 9% of the salary cap . That's a good chunk . I don't know . Glad I don't have to make the call ! 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Agree with this. 

Signing Payne doesn’t exactly “fit,” and I absolutely agree with @RSkinGM that if he was an FA, we likely wouldn’t be targeting him given our current roster makeup. 

But you have to pay someone, and as we’ve seen, the biggest downfalls in FA usually come when you’re expecting a player from a different scheme and a different locker room to smoothly translate to a new situation. It’s a little different when it comes to keeping your own guys — we already know that Payne “works” here. 

We can easily make the numbers work currently to keep him. They’re hardly paying anyone at this point, with Allen being the only guy carrying a cap number over $13M for next season. Behind him are Samuel and Roullier (at $13M and $12.4M, respectively), and at the moment, I think it would be a bit of a surprise if either of them is on the 2024 roster. Certainly not at those numbers. Then you have Leno and Fuller, either of whom could be replaced by that point.

There’s no doubt that at some point we may find ourselves crunched for cap if all of our guys (*looking at the two DEs*) earn big contracts. Terry’s contract jumps in 2024, and we will certainly need to extend Curl and potentially to give big money to Sweat and/or Young. Perhaps Howell earns a big extension one day. But that’s a bridge you cross when you get to it, and it’s one of those “good problems” to have. With the ability to back-load contracts and restructure existing deals, there’s really no reason we couldn’t keep that core together for another 3-4 years at least, if we want to. 

Our roster doesn’t lack for “solid” players. In terms of our 10-20th best players, we probably stack up with just about anyone in the league. What we lack is high-end, star-level talent. We have precious few guys who are legitimately Pro Bowl type players, the kind that earn mentions in the “best at their position” type discussions. We can’t afford to let a still-young guy who is at that level walk out the door, especially not for basically no return. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Agree with this. 

Signing Payne doesn’t exactly “fit,” and I absolutely agree with @RSkinGM that if he was an FA, we likely wouldn’t be targeting him given our current roster makeup. 

But you have to pay someone, and as we’ve seen, the biggest downfalls in FA usually come when you’re expecting a player from a different scheme and a different locker room to smoothly translate to a new situation. It’s a little different when it comes to keeping your own guys — we already know that Payne “works” here. 

We can easily make the numbers work currently to keep him. They’re hardly paying anyone at this point, with Allen being the only guy carrying a cap number over $13M for next season. Behind him are Samuel and Roullier (at $13M and $12.4M, respectively), and at the moment, I think it would be a bit of a surprise if either of them is on the 2024 roster. Certainly not at those numbers. Then you have Leno and Fuller, either of whom could be replaced by that point.

There’s no doubt that at some point we may find ourselves crunched for cap if all of our guys (*looking at the two DEs*) earn big contracts. Terry’s contract jumps in 2024, and we will certainly need to extend Curl and potentially to give big money to Sweat and/or Young. Perhaps Howell earns a big extension one day. But that’s a bridge you cross when you get to it, and it’s one of those “good problems” to have. With the ability to back-load contracts and restructure existing deals, there’s really no reason we couldn’t keep that core together for another 3-4 years at least, if we want to. 

Our roster doesn’t lack for “solid” players. In terms of our 10-20th best players, we probably stack up with just about anyone in the league. What we lack is high-end, star-level talent. We have precious few guys who are legitimately Pro Bowl type players, the kind that earn mentions in the “best at their position” type discussions. We can’t afford to let a still-young guy who is at that level walk out the door, especially not for basically no return. 

If we could tag and trade. What comp would you be happy getting for him ?

52 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

If we could tag and trade. What comp would you be happy getting for him ?

At his age and his ability, I want a first round pick. I don't see why we should have to settle when the rest of the league gets high value picks for their great players? Rarely does a 25-year old legit star talent like Payne become available. 

6 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

AND A 5TH!!!! How dare you leave that part out. 

Yes! How could @lavar703 forget about the pick that turned out to Be the back up center Keith Ismael who 3 years later wasn’t even on the team anymore. 😂 

The worst part of all of that was the 49ers had offered a higher pick for Trent & by what Trent said on a radio show, a good player for him in 2019. It was around the trade deadline, the same week we playing the 49ers & Snyder scoffed at the idea of trading Trent to Kyle Shanahan.

Then, 6 months later Rivera trades Trent to San Fran anyway bc they’re offering the best deal which was a 3rd & a 5th but, the original San Fran offer was better than that in 2019 Trent said.