2023 Player movement rumors

Forge

9 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't think anyone would give up a first. I think a Julioesque trade is the comp I would expect. Maybe the second pick is a little better than a sixth. Maybe a mid second+ future 4th or something

Falcons traded Julio for a 2022 2nd and 2023 4th and sent back a 6th. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Oh, well there we go. Arizona doesn't have to send back the sixth like the falcons did!

If the Ravens were to land him their offense would have the potential to be crazy good next year with Nuk/Bateman/Duvernay at WR, Edwards/Dobbins healthy at RB, and Andrews/Likley at TE. 

9 hours ago, scar988 said:

Falcons traded Julio for a 2022 2nd and 2023 4th and sent back a 6th. 

This seems like the appropriate value that he will go for. That said, I wouldn't give up that much for Hopkins unless I felt I was a WR away from being an elite team. You would also have to pair him with the right pieces, as he would be ideal next to a burner at WR.

I don't think Hopkins is the solution to a bad WR room. He's the potential difference maker for an average squad taking a leap to a great squad...if that makes sense.

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We'll see what Burrow, Hurts, and Herbert get this offseason. But again I think it's hard to ask for a fully GTD deal when guys like Mahomes and Allen didn't get it.

First off, love your avatar, hope it happens!

But really, I have a question for you, or anyone else, concerning QB contracts for high end guys like Mahomes/Allen/Burrow/Hurts/Herbert.  Think about this...is it so bad to have their contracts tied to the cap?  I don't know how the guarantees would work, but it would seem to me that if you gave the QB say 13% of the cap, it becomes a known number that a CFO or cap analyst can work around for years.

It wouldn't necessarily be as friendly as a traditional deal that is lighter on the cap in the first few years, then can always be re-negotiated, but it would be a very stable contract to account for.

I sit the fence on this, I'm not sure what I like best, but I thought I'd ask and get opinions on the matter.

26 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

First off, love your avatar, hope it happens!

But really, I have a question for you, or anyone else, concerning QB contracts for high end guys like Mahomes/Allen/Burrow/Hurts/Herbert.  Think about this...is it so bad to have their contracts tied to the cap?  I don't know how the guarantees would work, but it would seem to me that if you gave the QB say 13% of the cap, it becomes a known number that a CFO or cap analyst can work around for years.

It wouldn't necessarily be as friendly as a traditional deal that is lighter on the cap in the first few years, then can always be re-negotiated, but it would be a very stable contract to account for.

I sit the fence on this, I'm not sure what I like best, but I thought I'd ask and get opinions on the matter.

The great thing about borrowing money from the future is that you can always just keep borrowing! Especially with how the cap keeps going up it is almost always better to just push money down the road to make your team better today. Obviously if your roster falls apart and you bet on a ton of the wrong guys you could hamstring yourself for a year or two, but if the team goes down that badly you will likely be rebuilding anyways.

32 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The great thing about borrowing money from the future is that you can always just keep borrowing! Especially with how the cap keeps going up it is almost always better to just push money down the road to make your team better today. Obviously if your roster falls apart and you bet on a ton of the wrong guys you could hamstring yourself for a year or two, but if the team goes down that badly you will likely be rebuilding anyways.

Yeah, I get that part.  Totally.

Also I can see how a CFO/cap guy can easily account for a % of the cap for his QB and build around that number as it would be a fixed cost.

The issue to the player is some unknown variable like COVID when the cap goes down.  I'm guessing here, but there is probably an insurance policy that the player could find to protect against that kind of variable.  

It's just interesting to think about.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

It’s the opposite actually, because the cap changes every year. You’d have a guy whose cap number is virtually guaranteed to escalate every single year, while also not knowing what the numbers are going to be for the following season (compared to a standard contract where you know the exact cap hit for every season). Also, not even sure it’s possible to work that out with a signing bonus.

I’m not really sure what the incentive would be for a team to do that. Ballooning payments, inexact figures year to year, and inflexibility with restructuring.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

It’s the opposite actually, because the cap changes every year. You’d have a guy whose cap number is virtually guaranteed to escalate every single year, while also not knowing what the numbers are going to be for the following season (compared to a standard contract where you know the exact cap hit for every season). Also, not even sure it’s possible to work that out with a signing bonus.

I’m not really sure what the incentive would be for a team to do that. Ballooning payments, inexact figures year to year, and inflexibility with restructuring.

I think he's going for NBA style max contracts, but those are fully guaranteed and don't deal with roster bonuses, signing bonuses, etc. Those are tied to the cap with specific yearly % raises based on the cap of the year they signed as opposed to rising with the cap every season though.

• Like 1