2023 Player movement rumors

Forge

Just now, candyman93 said:

Yeah, we’re gonna copy the Saints / Rams free agency style 

In truth, it's almost a lock that a player will restructure their deal anyway. It means they get the money right now, which I think is always preferable. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

How often does a team/player fail to work out an extension, the player hits free agency, and then comes back to the team?  I can't remember that happening all that much.

Pernell McPhee with Baltimore (went to Chicago, came back)

Za'Darius Smith and the Ravens (almost, before he backed out then signed with MIN)

I feel like it happens all the time but we don't know how many teams really "fail" at extending guys vs. just letting them hit FA and then after a while they come back.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Pernell McPhee with Baltimore (went to Chicago, came back)

Za'Darius Smith and the Ravens (almost, before he backed out then signed with MIN)

I feel like it happens all the time but we don't know how many teams really "fail" at extending guys vs. just letting them hit FA and then after a while they come back.

I think he meant how often do they re-sign that year after actually getting to hit the market. 

I think it's probably not crazy for mid tier guys who could fall through the cracks but players in demand it seems like you never see that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think he meant how often do they re-sign that year after actually getting to hit the market. 

I think it's probably not crazy for mid tier guys who could fall through the cracks but players in demand it seems like you never see that. 

I think Jimmy Smith actually did this with Baltimore a couple of years back. We let him test FA and then he re-signed with us.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

How often does a team/player fail to work out an extension, the player hits free agency, and then comes back to the team?  I can't remember that happening all that much.

Trent williams, Juice, couple other Niners. But it is rare

13 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Supposedly a push from inside Houston's building to sign Jimmy Garoppolo.

I read about this too.

Crazy idea here.. draft Anderson at 2, trade up from 12 to 5 or 6 and get Levis/Richardson and sit them for a year behind Jimmy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Supposedly a push from inside Houston's building to sign Jimmy Garoppolo.

Yeah, there’s a lot of chatter here too. Jimmy G has ties to both Caserio and Ryans, it makes sense.

If this turns out to be the decision, I suspect both Young and Stroud are not options. Texans probably go with Will Anderson, then see if one of the QBs falls to 12 (or past 6-7, and trade up). If that doesn’t happen, it’s likely BPA (Christian Gonzalez opposite Derek Stingley would be a nice pairing).

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I read about this too.

Crazy idea here.. draft Anderson at 2, trade up from 12 to 5 or 6 and get Levis/Richardson and sit them for a year behind Jimmy.

More Richardson than Levis, but I agree to this idea.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

IIRC, Julian Edelman, Dont’a Hightower and Devin McCourty did just that. Three Patriot legends. They usually let them shop to find out their market and then have a conversation after that. I believe Bill actually outbid another team (Eagles/Giants? I don’t remember) for McCourty  to keep him around. 

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

IIRC, Julian Edelman, Dont’a Hightower and Devin McCourty did just that. Three Patriot legends. They usually let them shop to find out their market and then have a conversation after that. I believe Bill actually outbid another team (Eagles/Giants? I don’t remember) for McCourty  to keep him around. 

Honestly, that's how most negotiations should go, but teams get afraid of losing someone they don't want to, and players get in their feelings they didn't get what they want.

32 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, there’s a lot of chatter here too. Jimmy G has ties to both Caserio and Ryans, it makes sense.

If this turns out to be the decision, I suspect both Young and Stroud are not options. Texans probably go with Will Anderson, then see if one of the QBs falls to 12 (or past 6-7, and trade up). If that doesn’t happen, it’s likely BPA (Christian Gonzalez opposite Derek Stingley would be a nice pairing).

Jimmy g...QBotF

• Like 1