Cousins value and the next wave of big contracts

Dome

On 12/4/2017 at 8:03 PM, GangGreen420 said:

So the Jets forum is literally drooling over the idea of signing Cousins.

What says NFL gen? Personally it’s a move I don’t want to make, for reasons many have already stayed. I wouldn’t want Stafford at his salary and I don’t want Cousins on the Jets for what he will get.

Is it a good fit from the eyes of a neutral fan?

Read my post from a few pages back, you are looking at $ when you should be looking at % of salary cap. Kirk is a top 10 QB who deserves market value. His market value is going to be inflated because of the situation he is in vs other QBs. Carr and Luck both recently got 15% average of the year they signed their contract.

Kirk won't be resigning with a team that drafted him, took care of him, built around him, and has some leverage like Carr and Luck did, nor does he have a history of injuries like they did when they signed. Albeit, Carr may be a better QB, and Luck is hyped more than Kirk. On top of that, Kirk will be hitting FA and teams will have to compete which will also raise his salary.

All in all, the floor for Kirk will be 15% barring injury or terrible pay down the stretch, but the ceiling may be as high at 16.5% depending on the competition. If we estimate the salary cap goes to 175M as a conservative guess based on recent trends, Kirk is looking at $26.25M to $28.875M a year average, not considering guarantees and all that.

Being as objective as possible, $26M a year for Kirk isn't a bad deal for an team in the league who needs a QB, while anything over $27.5M means a team is just paying a supply and demand fee, which again, isn't unreasonable based on history of top 10 QBs.

17 hours ago, lavar703 said:

You're extremely undertaking Cousins. He's a top 10 QB. This is what top 10 QBs are getting paid. I don't know what more he can do to prove it? He nearly willed the team to the playoffs with Joe Barry as his D.C. Thats impressive in itself. 

Prove it ?  His Pocket and situational Awareness is crap.   He went to the playoffs once and only reason being was the NFCE was a mess in 2015 ...  Chip Kelly destroyed a Eagles team that was 10-6 2 years in a row  and got fired durning the season .  Cowboys lost Romo after going 12-4 in 2014  ...  The Giants were a mess 2 years ina row which caused them to get rid of their long time HC .  So winning the division  at 9-7  when having 6 games that should not of been hard is kinda a joke.  No suprise by anyone he was one and done .  So he is a top 10 QB because he has nice stats ?  This is a throwing league now , its not like the NFL in the 70s , 80s and 90s .   He has never thrown for 30 + TDs  even with all that amazing Yards ....  All other Qbs that throw for 4k + yards have over 30TDs .  Yes Skins had a problem in the RZ ... is it a Team problem or was it a Kirk problem ?

I understand the guy wants to get paid what he is worth  and the Skins FO screwed him around .  He has a chip on his shoulder about when he was drafted ,  RG3 and they way he was treated and knowing Danny has no problem spending on big name Flop FAs .  Besides that , he is kind of mental .  Pushing a ref around durng a charity game ... no suprise he throws a Int to seal that one too.  The YOU LIEK THAT game ... vs the 6-10 Bucs .  I think Kirk was the only one that LIKED THAT  besides  the Cult of Kirk . 

Dont get me wrong he is an ok QB , just not worth top QB money .  You will need to be able to Have a solid team built around him to make a deep run at the playoffs  if they ever get there.  His value at around 18-20  million was correct.  You add 6-10 to that  .. you screw yourself adding some Key FAs that could help the team win .... Liek a good WR or RB . Hell the team is going to need a TE that can stay on the field.

ultimateterribleqb

1 minute ago, GreenMean69 said:

Prove it ?  His Pocket and situational Awareness is crap.   He went to the playoffs once and only reason being was the NFCE was a mess in 2015 ...  Chip Kelly destroyed a Eagles team that was 10-6 2 years in a row  and got fired durning the season .  Cowboys lost Romo after going 12-4 in 2014  ...  The Giants were a mess 2 years ina row which caused them to get rid of their long time HC .  So winning the division  at 9-7  when having 6 games that should not of been hard is kinda a joke.  No suprise by anyone he was one and done .  So he is a top 10 QB because he has nice stats ?  This is a throwing league now , its not like the NFL in the 70s , 80s and 90s .   He has never thrown for 30 + TDs  even with all that amazing Yards ....  All other Qbs that throw for 4k + yards have over 30TDs .  Yes Skins had a problem in the RZ ... is it a Team problem or was it a Kirk problem ?

I understand the guy wants to get paid what he is worth  and the Skins FO screwed him around .  He has a chip on his shoulder about when he was drafted ,  RG3 and they way he was treated and knowing Danny has no problem spending on big name Flop FAs .  Besides that , he is kind of mental .  Pushing a ref around durng a charity game ... no suprise he throws a Int to seal that one too.  The YOU LIEK THAT game ... vs the 6-10 Bucs .  I think Kirk was the only one that LIKED THAT  besides  the Cult of Kirk . 

Dont get me wrong he is an ok QB , just not worth top QB money .  You will need to be able to Have a solid team built around him to make a deep run at the playoffs  if they ever get there.  His value at around 18-20  million was correct.  You add 6-10 to that  .. you screw yourself adding some Key FAs that could help the team win .... Liek a good WR or RB . Hell the team is going to need a TE that can stay on the field.

You do realize we are saying he is currently a top 10 QB, and not a top 10 QB all time right?

Just now, TXsteeler said:

Ok then why are you bringing up how the league has changed to say he isn't a top 10 QB because of stats?

No I said he has nice stats  ... but that means little is what I am saying .  4K + yards is not all that amazing in the NFL anymore .  IF you look more and more QB are doing now then they were even 10 years ago .  Whats impressive about 300 yards passing  1 td and 1 int in a game ?  Ya he got his yards  big deal.  Stats do not tell everything 

7 minutes ago, GreenMean69 said:

No I said he has nice stats  ... but that means little is what I am saying .  4K + yards is not all that amazing in the NFL anymore .  IF you look more and more QB are doing now then they were even 10 years ago .  Whats impressive about 300 yards passing  1 td and 1 int in a game ?  Ya he got his yards  big deal.  Stats do not tell everything 

Ok, but compare his stats to every other current QB in the league. Where does he end up?

4 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Ok then why are you bringing up how the league has changed to say he isn't a top 10 QB because of stats?

So Kirk should have nice stats when they are in top ten for passes under 5 yards .  High completion and passer rating .  They use the Screens and PA a lot . Krk does not take risks  or like to put throws into tight windows .  Thats part of the reason they fail so much in the RZ .  Now is that on Gruden for not being aggressive ? If so does Kirk not have abilty to audible out of stuff on the line ? 

DQeBYumVoAA1kQV.jpg

DQUBZrKWkAAchRP.jpg

DQY7phjW0AActFc.jpg

8 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

How is Kirk third who PA passer rating with nobody at RB? Looks good to me. I don't see how any of these stats prove Kirk isn't a top 10 QB?

Chris Thompson up until he got hurt. He was like the best offensive weapon on the skins no ?  Perine did not look bad last 2 games either . Suprising with the Oline torubles the skins have had . Im sorry good stats dont make him a top 10 QB ... top 12-15 For sure .  Until he actually does something or wins something ... just the way it is .   Trust me I hope the Skins pay him all the money he wants .   But nothign will change for Skins until Danny snyder is gone 

5 minutes ago, GreenMean69 said:

Chris Thompson up until he got hurt. He was like the best offensive weapon on the skins no ?  Perine did not look bad last 2 games either . Suprising with the Oline torubles the skins have had . Im sorry good stats dont make him a top 10 QB ... top 12-15 For sure .  Until he actually does something or wins something ... just the way it is .   Trust me I hope the Skins pay him all the money he wants .   But nothign will change for Skins until Danny snyder is gone 

How do "Good stats" not make him top 10 compared to other QB's with "worse stats"?

1 hour ago, GreenMean69 said:

Actually, yes. Good stats do make him top 10. I mean what other metric can you measure individual accomplishments by? You're basing your whole argument or Cousins worth on how the entirety of the team performs. I'm sorry but that's absurd. 

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

I'd love to hear the 11-14 other QB's that you feel are better and see what they have to work with compared to Cousins.

and There are a few that are close as well  I could list .  Then there are QBs  that have already done more then Kirk not on this list . You Can Argue  Eli , Cam ,  Watson , Bradford   even Flacco since he won a Superbowl . 

No particular   order  Top 11 

Tom Brady 

Aron Rodgers 

Matt Ryan 

Russel Wilson 

Matt Staford 

Alex Smith '

Ben Rothenburger

Drew Brees 

Phillip Rivers 

Carson Wentz 

Derrek Carr .