Cousins value and the next wave of big contracts

Dome

5 hours ago, GreenMean69 said:

Whats funny is , Kirk using the tags to determine his value .... Ok so when it was 20 million ok .   But since he got a 2nd tag it was now 120 %   So now  he thinks he is worth more than that while being a .500  QB .  So Im sure in his little head that has very low pocket awareness  Thinks  he is worth the value of 3x tag .  Redskins already had trouble getting solid players around him after letting two 1k yard Wrs walk.  His value should of been around 18-20  if Skins did not mess up , and now will command up to 30 million.  That extra 10-12 Million  could of been used to add some nice pieces to help him and team out .   He is not the type of QB  that can carry the weight of team on his shoulders.  

Skins really are screwed either way they go ... Pay/ tag him it hurts them  , let him walk it hurts them.  They just have to figure which is lesser of 2 evils . Kirk also needs to think about which team is best fit for him if he leaves ... He will need a strong cast around him .  If he comands 30 million  will other teams want him ? Its alot better to draft a QB of the future and have them on the cheap  while you get good team built around him ... Unlike the Browns that want to build a team and then toss a QB inrto what the build .... Which can be like sticking a square peg in a round hole.

A Carr deal is not going to hurt them. They have upwards of $58m in cap space in 2018. And his cap % will go down from there. As for not carrying the weight of the team, the Redskins don't even have 5 wins this year without him. He's playing with zero running game, receivers who can't get open and who drop 5+ passes a game, and an OL (playing 3rd stringers and guys off the street) that is so porous, sponges are jealous. Not to mention a defense that is banged up and can't stop anyone.

Again, is he elite? Nope. But he's the best of the very good. He's right around 10th as a QB in ranking. The problem is that no other QB in the top 10 is in a contract year but him. And just like in past years, the new signings will look to be too much and look like overpaying. And then in years 3+ the deal is quickly down to 10th or less.

So the Jets forum is literally drooling over the idea of signing Cousins.

What says NFL gen? Personally it’s a move I don’t want to make, for reasons many have already stayed. I wouldn’t want Stafford at his salary and I don’t want Cousins on the Jets for what he will get.

Is it a good fit from the eyes of a neutral fan?

19 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

So the Jets forum is literally drooling over the idea of signing Cousins.

What says NFL gen? Personally it’s a move I don’t want to make, for reasons many have already stayed. I wouldn’t want Stafford at his salary and I don’t want Cousins on the Jets for what he will get.

Is it a good fit from the eyes of a neutral fan?

The Jets need a solid qb. I don't care, if my team doesn't have a guy then I'd jump at the opportunity of signing him. If we didn't trade for Jimmy G I wanted the Niners to pursue him. He's a great QB to build a team around. You don't get opportunities to get a potential franchise QB so you go for it. A top pick on a qb is nice but what if he's not good? Then you waste another 2-3 years on a lotto ticket. At least you know what you're getting with Cousins which is a top 10 qb in the league. His deal will be big now but in a few years it'll be an afterthought. 

1 hour ago, steadypimpin said:

The Jets need a solid qb. I don't care, if my team doesn't have a guy then I'd jump at the opportunity of signing him. If we didn't trade for Jimmy G I wanted the Niners to pursue him. He's a great QB to build a team around. You don't get opportunities to get a potential franchise QB so you go for it. A top pick on a qb is nice but what if he's not good? Then you waste another 2-3 years on a lotto ticket. At least you know what you're getting with Cousins which is a top 10 qb in the league. His deal will be big now but in a few years it'll be an afterthought. 

Agreed. Too many people want to roll the dice on rookie QBs and hope they pan out. They forget that the majority of them don't

he's worth more than he's given credit for; the longevity of his production, him being 'top 10' (when those players keeping him out of the top 5 are the greatest players in 20 years)

the Wentz' and Goff's of today could look like Carr, Newton or any other sophomore slump after riding high for 1 year, surviving this trend is a Herculean effort

we had a 50 page thread just last year full of polite disbelief for any 5000 yard season ambitions

you really need to be on a great team to have better production from a QB; and I think it is a credit to the man for being able to play like he has with all the distractions and nonsense.

On 12/3/2017 at 4:49 PM, Dashing202 said:

Lol 

So you think kirks elite or a good qb ?

To me he's average .. I won't stand here and say he's terrible or awful tho just simply average and at times great or god awful.

Kirk Cousins is in no way "average" He's 5th in passing yards, 7th in touchdowns and passer rating. There are 25 other teams who would kill for that kind of "average"

Cousins is very good to bordering on elite at this point.

17 hours ago, GreenMean69 said:

Whats funny is , Kirk using the tags to determine his value .... Ok so when it was 20 million ok .   But since he got a 2nd tag it was now 120 %   So now  he thinks he is worth more than that while being a .500  QB .  So Im sure in his little head that has very low pocket awareness  Thinks  he is worth the value of 3x tag .  Redskins already had trouble getting solid players around him after letting two 1k yard Wrs walk.  His value should of been around 18-20  if Skins did not mess up , and now will command up to 30 million.  That extra 10-12 Million  could of been used to add some nice pieces to help him and team out .   He is not the type of QB  that can carry the weight of team on his shoulders.  

Skins really are screwed either way they go ... Pay/ tag him it hurts them  , let him walk it hurts them.  They just have to figure which is lesser of 2 evils . Kirk also needs to think about which team is best fit for him if he leaves ... He will need a strong cast around him .  If he comands 30 million  will other teams want him ? Its alot better to draft a QB of the future and have them on the cheap  while you get good team built around him ... Unlike the Browns that want to build a team and then toss a QB inrto what the build .... Which can be like sticking a square peg in a round hole.

Now he simply has all the leverage. The team tried to undercut him by dumping his two top receivers and he's only improved. Heck, the ragged offensive line has actually made him better. He moves more in the pocket. He's improved at buying time and letting a play develop. That was the knock on him at the beginning of the season. When the automatic read wasn't there and the play broke down, he would struggle. Now he's getting better.

Snyder and Allen are screwed. If they let Cousins go, they won't draft high enough to get an elite QB prospect. They're facing signing a guy like Eli Manning or Case Keenum, who will cost a ton, and likely being back to a ~.500 team. Or, if they don't sign one of them, they're basement dwellers. And then Redskins fans are stuck with Bruce Allen trying to draft a franchise QB and we all saw how that went the last time.

On 12/3/2017 at 4:49 PM, Dashing202 said:

Lol 

So you think kirks elite or a good qb ?

To me he's average .. I won't stand here and say he's terrible or awful tho just simply average and at times great or god awful.

Kirk Cousins is in no way "average" He's 5th in passing yards, 7th in touchdowns and passer rating. There are 25 other teams who would kill for that kind of "average"

Cousins is very good to bordering on elite at this point.

17 hours ago, GreenMean69 said:

Now he simply has all the leverage. The team tried to undercut him by dumping his two top receivers and he's only improved. Heck, the ragged offensive line has actually made him better. He moves more in the pocket. He's improved at buying time and letting a play develop. That was the knock on him at the beginning of the season. When the automatic read wasn't there and the play broke down, he would struggle. Now he's getting better.

Snyder and Allen are screwed. If they let Cousins go, they won't draft high enough to get an elite QB prospect. They're facing signing a guy like Eli Manning or Case Keenum, who will cost a ton, and likely being back to a ~.500 team. Or, if they don't sign one of them, they're basement dwellers. And then Redskins fans are stuck with Bruce Allen trying to draft a franchise QB and we all saw how that went the last time.

Very interesting topic if cleveland wants to they draft barkley then fitzpatrick lets washington sign there free agents then they structure cousins contract so that

washington has to give away have there team to keep him.

Also look for cleveland to offfer there money after the draft so that they get the benefit of him playing for them on the draft pick they give away.

I don't understand how a lot of Skins fans are trying to justify letting Cousins walk. Yeah, it's a lot of money but you absolutely have to pay him if you ever want a chance to win it all in this league. I live in Skins country so I hear and talk a lot about them with friends, coworkers etc. Some actually think there won't be a dropoff if they start Colt McCoy!?!?! Good luck with that!!

As a Jets fan with no Pass Rusher or LT worthy of top FA money this year and a top 15 pick likely:

I think the Redskins will Transition Tag him since they will feel that he won't sign long term with them. I doubt they franchise him because I think Cousins would be more than happy to wait one more year for a deal and ride out the $34M as one of the most protected players on the field. So if he's Transition tagged he'll test FA now as opposed to paying him $34M and having him test FA next year. Jets will have $90M in cap space, could resign Claiborne/ASJ/Ealy/Davis/Enunwa/Catanzaro for no more than $40M + save $10M for draft and in season moves. I'd offer a 6 year deal with an average of $28M per year ($70M guaranteed) with all guaranteed money in the first 2 years.

Year 1 - $40M 

Year 2 - $35M

Year 3 - $24M

Year 4 - $23M

Year 5 - $23M

Year 6 - $23M

The Jets next big FA to be up for a contract won't be until 2020 so his cap hit will be $24M that year and with the cap likely increasing each year and other QBs being paid higher deals it won't be as crazy at that point. I don't think the Redskins will be able to match this and then it will really just come down to where does Kirk want to play. If that's not the Jets than so be it but I think the Jags opt to go with Eli and I'm not sure what other situation looks better. Is Buffalo that much better of an option than the Jets? Maybe Denver or the Cardinals, but both teams would need to cut significant players to get him under the cap assuming they want to have $7-10M left to sign their draft picks.

On 12/4/2017 at 2:34 PM, GreenMean69 said:

You're extremely undertaking Cousins. He's a top 10 QB. This is what top 10 QBs are getting paid. I don't know what more he can do to prove it? He nearly willed the team to the playoffs with Joe Barry as his D.C. Thats impressive in itself. 

Archived