Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If Harper takes $10M more over the life of his contract to sign with the Phillies he may genuinely end up being the most hated athlete to have ever played in this area. 

Honestly, I've never liked the guy. I only put up with him, his arrogance and inconsistent play since he was drafted bc he played for the Nats. If he had never played for the Nats and became a free agent, he's not the kind of guy id want them to sign as a free agent.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/17/san-antonio-draws-more-than-29000-for-second-aaf-game/

San Antonio loves football.

The Texas city that has been hoping for a professional football team of its own has one, and people are showing up in significant numbers.

Via John Elizondo of News 4 San Antonio, the Commanders of the Alliance of American Football drew official attendance of 29,176 for Sunday’s game against the Orlando Apollos. Last Saturday, 27,857 showed up for San Antonio’s home opener, against San Diego.

Other cities had crowds that were in the low teens though, which isn't a good sign, but this is a good sign for San Antonio if the NFL ever adds a few more teams, which I think they should do.

Personally, a team in San Antonio and then a team either in Alabama or Oklahoma City would make sense to me. Both of those states are huge football states that don't have many pro teams - OKC has just the Thunder and they sell out every night - Alabama doesn't have any pro teams in any major sports and I think if they had an NFL team that it would succeed there.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

San Antonio loves football.

The Texas city that has been hoping for a professional football team of its own has one, and people are showing up in significant numbers.

Via John Elizondo of News 4 San Antonio, the Commanders of the Alliance of American Football drew official attendance of 29,176 for Sunday’s game against the Orlando Apollos. Last Saturday, 27,857 showed up for San Antonio’s home opener, against San Diego.

Other cities had crowds that were in the low teens though, which isn't a good sign, but this is a good sign for San Antonio if the NFL ever adds a few more teams, which I think they should do.

Personally, a team in San Antonio and then a team either in Alabama or Oklahoma City would make sense to me. Both of those states are huge football states that don't have many pro teams - OKC has just the Thunder and they sell out every night - Alabama doesn't have any pro teams in any major sports and I think if they had an NFL team that it would succeed there.

Yeah, this is another thing I was talking to a member of my team about. Don't think the NFL is not looking at these attendance #'s for any possible expansion locations in the future.

BTW - I'm still watching the AAF games. While I can't get to one as one is not in my city, hopefully those with the boxes that are tracked are tuning in. I'm still liking this league

• Like 1

Former NFL receiver Charles Johnson shines for AAF Apollos

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/17/former-nfl-receiver-charles-johnson-shines-for-aaf-apollos/ via @ProFootballTalk

Once upon a time, receiver Charles Johnson was a promising young player with the Vikings. Things ultimately didn’t work out for him in the NFL, but he’s trying his best to get back there.

And he’s making a solid impression in the AAF.Johnson has racked up 133 receiving yards in 30 minutes of action on Sunday for the Orlando Apollos...

9 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, this is another thing I was talking to a member of my team about. Don't think the NFL is not looking at these attendance #'s for any possible expansion locations in the future.

BTW - I'm still watching the AAF games. While I can't get to one as one is not in my city, hopefully those with the boxes that are tracked are tuning in. I'm still liking this league

I guess I would say an issue that any spring football league is going to have is just that, people in the USA have been geared for a century that football is a sport that starts in the fall and ends in the winter.

So, my thought is that if San Antonio and a few other teams had NFL teams where it was played from Sept - Jan, attendance would be better but ppl in this country just aren't used to spring football.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I guess I would say an issue that any spring football league is going to have is just that, people in the USA have been geared for a century that football is a sport that starts in the fall and ends in the winter.

So, my thought is that if San Antonio and a few other teams had NFL teams where it was played from Sept - Jan, attendance would be better but ppl in this country just aren't used to spring football.

Yup. So right now, if a team is pulling in attendance in the teens, that's still pretty darned good. Like you said, we've been conditioned to think NBA and NHL during these months. The only other outside sport is baseball and Spring Training has just begun. We don't start watching games for another 6-8 weeks. So the attendance numbers in the teens look great to me. Anything in the 20's is downright outstanding!

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Former NFL receiver Charles Johnson shines for AAF Apollos

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/17/former-nfl-receiver-charles-johnson-shines-for-aaf-apollos/ via @ProFootballTalk

yup. And Ish Hyman (JMU) would've been the Apollos' leading receiver in Week 1 if his last 19 yarder wasn't called back.

• Like 1