Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

It’s enjoyable. They’ve done a good job with the league and I hope it sticks.

Me too. It's comparable to what I think the USFL might have been but I really don't know bc I was in elementary school then.

With how well it's going, I hope they expand the league. Late winter/spring football for 2 or 3 months every year from now on is an awesome thing to me. 

And, many of these players we all know bc they are the guys who either play in preseason but get cut, were busts from the draft or were decent players in the NFL but haven't been picked up in the last two years.

I would hope Gruden is intrigued by what Rashad Ross is doing and convinces Allen and company to bring him in for a try out/camp. We could use his speed still as a situational deep threat.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

It's been one weekend guys.... the XFL did MONSTER ratings its first weekend too. It needs to sustain it over the season before you go throwing around "with how well it's going".....

Correct. But this one DOES have some things going for it that the XFL doesn't

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

It's been one weekend guys.... the XFL did MONSTER ratings its first weekend too. It needs to sustain it over the season before you go throwing around "with how well it's going".....

While true, the AAF has former pros/good college players, former NFL coaching, is loosely tied to the NFL and doesn't have any dumb gymics. Instead or actually has done some positive things that the nfl doesn't like listening to the replay officials and there are less dumb penalties.

I think this sticks, XFL fails again and the AAF eventually becomes like a minor league to the NFL and expands in a few years.

Basically, it was like watching a preseason game but it counts which I think is cool.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 12:05 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

Didnt know each NFL team is tied to a AAF team. Meaning callup rights.

Redskins, Jags, Panthers and Falcons are tied to the team that was just beat 40-6.. Who wouldnt of guessed that?

Pro: they finally created a spring ball series that allows some guys who just missed the cut that allows for development.
Con: how do the four teams decide who can pick up a player from the joint team? First offer? Waiver order? Random draw? Player decides?

5 hours ago, Woz said:

Pro: they finally created a spring ball series that allows some guys who just missed the cut that allows for development.
Con: how do the four teams decide who can pick up a player from the joint team? First offer? Waiver order? Random draw? Player decides?

Random guess: they might be allocated to the AAF team by thier NFL squad kind of like NFL Europe 

12 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Random guess: they might be allocated to the AAF team by thier NFL squad kind of like NFL Europe 

Except unlike NFL Europe, none of the players (that I know of, at least) had their rights owned by any NFL franchise. All of those guys were guys on the street.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think that's going to flop again. I just can't see it being as good as what I’ve seen from AAF this weekend.

I think it will easily be as good or better. Its a over 500 million dollar investment, AAF isnt remotely close to that. Doubt if they touched 100 million.

Bob Stoops, Pep Hamilton, Jim Haslett. Theyre bringing in some decent coaches. And where AAF has something like Max Offered Contracts being 500k. XFL is heading more a max 500k per year.

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I think it will easily be as good or better. Its a over 500 million dollar investment, AAF isnt remotely close to that. Doubt if they touched 100 million.

Bob Stoops, Pep Hamilton, Jim Haslett. Theyre bringing in some decent coaches. And where AAF has something like Max Offered Contracts being 500k. XFL is heading more a max 500k per year.

I dunno. I just view XFL as the WWE of football. At least with the AAF they are trying to mimic how the NFL (and AFL) built themselves up. If it takes off, in a few years, those 75k contracts will be 3x that amount. And with more popularity, more TV revenue = bigger contracts after that.

But that is IF it does well. They've had one week. Let's see if it has sticking power. At least the XFL has its corner of the market sewn up, for now.

• Like 1