Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

No matter how much the offense is looking like college right now, the NFL still hasn't changed if you want to win..  Defense wins championships (and the amount of people who said the game was boring really irritates me.) . You have to win the battles on both sides of the trenches.  And if you want to run the ball, you need a fullback.  We all saw Michel and Burkhead make positive yards even at the end of the game to ice the game when you know they are going to run the ball.  That lead blocker can get you precious yards that you wouldn't get otherwise.  I mean, we all see the opposite with Jay Gruden's prevent offense, we never get the first down to ice the game.  

Sounds like a job for Ryan Anderson!

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We traded an All-Pro talent defender for a great RB who because of his position had a shorter shelf life.

We could have lived w/ Betts (1,154 yds & 53 recs in 06) and another RB we had drafted in 04 or 05 as our main running backs, losing Champ was a killer.

I'm not saying that Bailey-for-Portis would have been a good deal.

However, as @lavar703 pointed out, there was no situation where Bailey could have stayed in DC due to his off-field situation. As such, at least getting a reasonably good RB would have been tolerable given the circumstances. Still a losing deal, but it was a bad situation.

Throwing in the 2nd made it completely insane.

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Could you imagine Champ and Sean Taylor in the same secondary?

... wow ... what could have been ...

Just now, Woz said:

However, as @lavar703 pointed out, there was no situation where Bailey could have stayed in DC due to his off-field situation. As such, at least getting a reasonably good RB would have been tolerable given the circumstances. Still a losing deal, but it was a bad situation.

Definitely agree there 

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Throw in a Carlos Rogers eye exam while you're at it (this is why I have no confidence in our off-field personnel either)

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Throw in a Carlos Rogers eye exam while you're at it (this is why I have no confidence in our off-field personnel either)

Eh, Rogers had one good year (the year after he left) and regressed back to his mean. While it looked bad, letting him walk was probably the right call.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Well, so far, that's been the only thing he's been reasonably good at ...

He’s good run stuffer, it’s just hard to get time playing behind our Ironman and best pass rusher, Kerrigan. Just bc Anderson is playing behind Kerrigan   doesn’t he can’t play.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Eh, Rogers had one good year (the year after he left) and regressed back to his mean. While it looked bad, letting him walk was probably the right call.

I mean, he was also 30 when he went to the Niners, so regression was sure to happen before too long.  We let a guy play with us for six years and never gave him an eye exam, which should be part of a simple physical for a football player.  

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, he was also 30 when he went to the Niners, so regression was sure to happen before too long.  We let a guy play with us for six years and never gave him an eye exam, which should be part of a simple physical for a football player.  

Depends on whether the vision problem was there when they drafted him, or if it developed as his career went on.

*shrugs* Is what it is.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He’s good run stuffer, it’s just hard to get time playing behind our Ironman and best pass rusher, Kerrigan. Just bc Anderson is playing behind Kerrigan   doesn’t he can’t play.

Of course, he wasn't supposed to be playing behind Kerrigan but opposite him.

He's a second round pick, who barely plays. There's a problem there.

4 hours ago, Woz said:

Of course, he wasn't supposed to be playing behind Kerrigan but opposite him.

He's a second round pick, who barely plays. There's a problem there.

No Anderson wasn’t drafted to be playing opposite Kerrigan as a rookie. Anderson played LOLB in college, we drafted him to be one. That’s just not true at all, Anderson was drafted for depth and development behind our starters & Murphy!

We had already drafted Murphy & PSmith (who beat out Murphy as our ROLB) and we kept re-signing Galette who, once he stayed healthy proved he was the most talented pure pass rusher on our roster and he should’ve re-signed last March.

I didn’t think we should’ve drafted another OLB like Anderson in round 2 bc we had already drafted two OLbs in 2014 & 2015 in round 2 and we had Galette - although we didn’t know what we had - we should’ve drafted an ILB like Cunningham or another positon but we can’t change that now.

And when all is said and done, I still think Anderson is a good all-around football player.