Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

BTW- not to get too personal and gross but wanted to share what happened to me this week. And what the doctor did was similar to what happened with Alex.

I got a scrape at my hairline in the back of my head last Friday. So its right at the base of my skull/top of spine.

It gets infected.

The infection swells into a cyst that was 2in long x 1 inch wide x .5in tall (from the surface of the skin).

I was prescribed antibiotics on Wednesday and told to come back to the ER if the swelling had not come down.

Mind you, the pain on the 1-10 scale was a constant 8 (24/7). 

So I went in today to get it "Drained". Nuh uh. They can't drain it in the typical way.

They told me they had to cut it open and then squeeze the stuff out to help start it to drain.

Oh and the kicker was they used lidocaine to numb the area. All good, right? Nope. Because it was an infected cyst, the lidocaine I was told would only be about 80% effective (meaning I would feel some of it). After they put the lidocaine in they did the procedure and opened it up and drained it. Doctor told me that while it was about a .5in above the surface it had grown almost an inch deep under the surface (kinda like an iceberg you only see 20%)

Yeah, DEFINITELY felt quite a bit. I've got a good threshhold for pain but the nervous system kicked in and I had the shakes in my arms for about 10 minutes afterward.

Oh and if that wasn't gross enough, they packed the open wound with gauze to help it drain (its called a "wick") and I don't get it removed until Monday.

First time I was ever on the receiving end of debridement. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT (*)!!!

(*) Unless you need it. Then get it. My pain went from a constant 8 to now only a 1 or 2.

9 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

BTW- not to get too personal and gross but wanted to share what happened to me this week. And what the doctor did was similar to what happened with Alex.

I got a scrape at my hairline in the back of my head last Friday. So its right at the base of my skull/top of spine.

It gets infected.

The infection swells into a cyst that was 2in long x 1 inch wide x .5in tall (from the surface of the skin).

I was prescribed antibiotics on Wednesday and told to come back to the ER if the swelling had not come down.

Mind you, the pain on the 1-10 scale was a constant 8 (24/7). 

So I went in today to get it "Drained". Nuh uh. They can't drain it in the typical way.

They told me they had to cut it open and then squeeze the stuff out to help start it to drain.

Oh and the kicker was they used lidocaine to numb the area. All good, right? Nope. Because it was an infected cyst, the lidocaine I was told would only be about 80% effective (meaning I would feel some of it). After they put the lidocaine in they did the procedure and opened it up and drained it. Doctor told me that while it was about a .5in above the surface it had grown almost an inch deep under the surface (kinda like an iceberg you only see 20%)

Yeah, DEFINITELY felt quite a bit. I've got a good threshhold for pain but the nervous system kicked in and I had the shakes in my arms for about 10 minutes afterward.

Oh and if that wasn't gross enough, they packed the open wound with gauze to help it drain (its called a "wick") and I don't get it removed until Monday.

First time I was ever on the receiving end of debridement. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT (*)!!!

(*) Unless you need it. Then get it. My pain went from a constant 8 to now only a 1 or 2.

I'm glad it relieved some pain, but it sounds like an awful experience.

• Like 1

https://theathletic.com/807317/2019/02/08/morning-coffee-d-c-s-own-taraji-p-henson-reflects-on-her-hometown-rfk-stadium-and-her-new-movie/

Sometimes, you pull rank. So, when the opportunity to interview Academy Award-nominated actress — and, more importantly, D.C. homegirl — Taraji P. Henson came up, well, this was gonna go a certain way, if you catch my meaning. Her new film, “What Men Want,” opens nationwide today. A remake of the Mel Gibson film “What Women Want,” the film turns the tables on the Gibson flick, giving Henson’s character, sports agent Ali Davis, the sudden ability to read the minds of men and hear their most private thoughts, after drinking a cup of spiked tea. Henson’s Davis interacts with a fictional potential No. 1 NBA Draft pick, but also hangs out with real sports stars in the movie like Shaquille O’Neal, Grant Hill and Karl-Anthony Towns. For Henson, this week was another star turn in a career full of them, from her Oscar nomination for her role in “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” to her Golden Globe — and Critics’ Choice Award-winning performance as Cookie Lyon on the hit TV show “Empire,” to her star turn as NASA mathematician Katherine Johnson in the Oscar-nominated film “Hidden Figures.” Her rise, though, was anything but sudden, as Henson has been a working actress since her days at Howard University, when she made ends meet working at the Pentagon and singing on the Spirit of Washington cruise ships. A self-described “hustler,” she grew up in Southeast D.C., with a mom who worked at Woodies and a father who held numerous jobs. Work, then, has always been a major part of Henson’s flow, even all these years later, when she returned to town and a swank room at a fancy downtown hotel not all that far from her roots.

41 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

San Antonio Commanders of the AAF are looking like they have more Commander fans in their stands, than Skins have Redskin fans in theirs.

Was hoping to see the Orlando game. It's playing at my MIL (XFINITY) who lives 10 miles away but not on FIOS here. Here we have the Commanders game

11 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

CBS

Thanks. I think I can get into this. I'll watch any football, I catch myself watching the CFL when it's on. It's also exciting watching this and wondering if there's any players the Redskins could give try outs too this spring/summer.

Edited by turtle28

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Thanks. I think I can get into this. I'll watch any football, I catch myself watching the CFL when it's on. It's also exciting watching this and wondering if there's any players the Redskins could give try outs too this spring/summer.

Come to the AAF thread in Other Sports. I mentioned a 300lb DL chased down a RB. lol It was kinda hilarious.

Im watching the Orlando-Atlanta game. Havent seen any Buckeyes for you yet, but a few Michigan ones. Figure Id warn you if looking for a team to cheer lol.