Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

There’s nothing more annoying than Redskins fans blaming the organization for trading Champ Bailey. They had absolutely no choice. They offered him a huge contract and he refused. He was cheating on his wife and she wanted out of the area because Champs girlfriend lived here. She was trying to save their marriage so they needed to leave the area. Thus, his refusal to sign and the subsequent trade for CP. 

If the Redskins are dumb for trading him, how about Detroit not being willing to move their first round pick for him and instead picking Roy Williams. 

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

There’s nothing more annoying than Redskins fans blaming the organization for trading Champ Bailey. They had absolutely no choice. They offered him a huge contract and he refused. He was cheating on his wife and she wanted out of the area because Champs girlfriend lived here. She was trying to save their marriage so they needed to leave the area. Thus, his refusal to sign and the subsequent trade for CP. 

If the Redskins are dumb for trading him, how about Detroit not being willing to move their first round pick for him and instead picking Roy Williams. 

I agree with your point to an extent.  I don't necessarily blame the organization for trading him, but the trade was terrible.  

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I agree with your point to an extent.  I don't necessarily blame the organization for trading him, but the trade was terrible.  

It was not a horrible trade. Clinton Portis was coming off of back to back 1500 yard seasons and not even close to hitting his prime. Throwing in the second was completely unnecessary but that spoke to Gibbs inability to operate as team president. CP was one hell of a RB while here and probably ends up being a HOF back if Gibbs didn’t try to turn him into Riggins 2.0. They did the best they could with a crappy situation. Champ Bailey never was the DB here that he was in Denver and that’s why the offers weren’t flowing in.

Edited by lavar703

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It was not a horrible trade. Clinton Portis was coming off of back to back 1500 yard seasons and not even close to hitting his prime. Throwing in the second was completely unnecessary but that spoke to Gibbs inability to operate as team president. CP was one hell of a RB while here and probably ends up being a HOF back if Gibbs didn’t try to turn him into Riggins 2.0. They did the best they could with a crappy situation. Champ Bailey never was the DB here that he was in Denver and that’s why the offers weren’t flowing in.

Champ Bailey was still regarded as one of the best QBs in the league.  Maybe not the #1 guy in the NFL, but he was a consensus top 10 guy, and someone who you could count on to stop the opponent's #1 guy.  Even back then with RB value higher than it is now, there was no need to throw in the 2nd rounder, and that's what made the trade terrible.  Not to mention that we mis-used the player, which 100% plays a part in any deal.  

I will always argue that the Orioles couldn't get more for Jake Arrieta than Scott Feldman because we did not do a good job developing him and working with him.  However, that doesn't change the fact that the Chicago Cubs fixed him, and that became one of the most lopsided trades in recent MLB history.  Once you get the player, you've got to do something with him, and we turned a career 5.5 YPC running back into a 4.0 YPC running back.  

12 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Champ Bailey was still regarded as one of the best QBs in the league.  Maybe not the #1 guy in the NFL, but he was a consensus top 10 guy, and someone who you could count on to stop the opponent's #1 guy.  Even back then with RB value higher than it is now, there was no need to throw in the 2nd rounder, and that's what made the trade terrible.  Not to mention that we mis-used the player, which 100% plays a part in any deal.  

I will always argue that the Orioles couldn't get more for Jake Arrieta than Scott Feldman because we did not do a good job developing him and working with him.  However, that doesn't change the fact that the Chicago Cubs fixed him, and that became one of the most lopsided trades in recent MLB history.  Once you get the player, you've got to do something with him, and we turned a career 5.5 YPC running back into a 4.0 YPC running back.  

None of that makes it a terrible trade. The TJ Duckett trade was horrible, the Brandon Lloyd trade was horrible, the Jason Taylor trade was horrible. Clinton Portis is one of the greatest Redskins of all-time so that alone means it wasn’t a terrible trade. The second round pick being tossed in was simply a case of Shanahan taking advantage of a coach that had been out of the league for a very long time. 

Im not even sure how they could’ve done better with a player who simply would not sign? They tried to deal him to Detroit which would’ve resulted in us picking Kellen Winslow so yes, this trade could’ve ended up being much, much worse. 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

None of that makes it a terrible trade. The TJ Duckett trade was horrible, the Brandon Lloyd trade was horrible, the Jason Taylor trade was horrible. Clinton Portis is one of the greatest Redskins of all-time so that alone means it wasn’t a terrible trade. The second round pick being tossed in was simply a case of Shanahan taking advantage of a coach that had been out of the league for a very long time. 

Im not even sure how they could’ve done better with a player who simply would not sign? They tried to deal him to Detroit which would’ve resulted in us picking Kellen Winslow so yes, this trade could’ve ended up being much, much worse. 

The RG3 trade was way more horrible 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I pretty much called all of these when they were made.

Especially the RG3 trade that @MKnight82 mentioned.

FTR, I think the Portis trade we got fleeced. I love Portis, but we traded a HOFer for him. He needed to give us a lot more than he did to make it worth it

On 2/3/2019 at 12:10 AM, lavar703 said:

Trading Bailey for Portis straight up, while painful, would have been understandable. It was that additional 2nd rounder that still sticks in my craw.

18 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Tom Brady has been to the super bowl more times than Snyder has made the playoffs. 

If I'm not mistaken, Brady has been to the Super Bowl three times more than Snyder has made the playoffs (no, I'm not counting 1999 when he bought the team after the drafrt and didn't have a chance to screw it up yet).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

This drive is why you need a fullback in your offense. You can’t run when you need to without a fullback 

No matter how much the offense is looking like college right now, the NFL still hasn't changed if you want to win..  Defense wins championships (and the amount of people who said the game was boring really irritates me.) . You have to win the battles on both sides of the trenches.  And if you want to run the ball, you need a fullback.  We all saw Michel and Burkhead make positive yards even at the end of the game to ice the game when you know they are going to run the ball.  That lead blocker can get you precious yards that you wouldn't get otherwise.  I mean, we all see the opposite with Jay Gruden's prevent offense, we never get the first down to ice the game.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Trading Bailey for Portis straight up, while painful, would have been understandable. It was that additional 2nd rounder that still sticks in my craw.

Champ Bailey, the one All-Pro player that Dan Snyder could've had in his entire ownership.

Trading Bailey straight up for Portis wouldn't have even been a good trade.

We traded an All-Pro talent defender for a great RB who because of his position had a shorter shelf life.

We could have lived w/ Betts (1,154 yds & 53 recs in 06) and another RB we had drafted in 04 or 05 as our main running backs, losing Champ was a killer.

Could you imagine Champ and Sean Taylor in the same secondary?

• Like 2