Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Don’t look now but the QB everyone loved to hate int he draft - Mac Jones - is 10/11 for 74 yards w/ the Patriots up 10-0 over Zach Wilson & the Jets, who’s thrown two 1st quarter ints…

almost everyone. That was my realistic guy to get #1. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

https://theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/17838/Texans-to-start-Davis-Mills-with-Tyrod-Taylor-out---He-s-ready-

This is the guy I wanted . Can't wait to see how he does. Can't believe he's getting such an early opportunity. If he lights it up y'all will be hearing about from me ! 

He can’t be good bc he wasn’t good in his first start! Isn’t that how we grade these things in this forum? 😂 

44%, 102 yds, 5.7 ypa, 1 TD, 1 int & 1 fumble

49 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He can’t be good bc he wasn’t good in his first start! Isn’t that how we grade these things in this forum? 😂 

44%, 102 yds, 5.7 ypa, 1 TD, 1 int & 1 fumble

Well, wasn't a start. He came in after Tyrod got hurt . But, agreed - he didn't exactly light it up ! I want to see what he does after a week prep as the starter. 

6 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Well, wasn't a start. He came in after Tyrod got hurt . But, agreed - he didn't exactly light it up ! I want to see what he does after a week prep as the starter. 

A lot of people compared him to a Kirk type QB. Kirk didn’t develop fully until his 4th year so just keep that in mind.

Almost forgot to remind @Woz

Last Saturday 9/18 was the 39th anniversary

09/18/1982

1:30pm

Scott Stadium

JMU @ UVA

The game features future NFL players (and Super Bowl champions) - Gary Clark and Charles Haley.

Final Score:

JMU 21

UVA 17

Of course we'd meet again the next year and lose 21-14 but I'm okay with the 1-2 record vs the 'Hoos (we won't talk about the 1st game in 1979 when we were still basically a rec team). We haven't been able to get on your schedule since then. Wish we could get you guys on the schedule again. It's just a short trip on Rte 33.

• Like 1

With Fields announced as the starter against the Browns, and Davis Mills starting Thursday, there will be 5 starting rookie QBs in Week 3 (Jones, Lawrence, Wilson). Is that a record? I was trying to find data on that but was struggling. 

Add in 2nd year guys starting this weekend (Herbert, Eason, Burrow, Hurts) and you've got 9/32 starters within their first two years. Not sure if I missed anyone. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

With Fields announced as the starter against the Browns, and Davis Mills starting Thursday, there will be 5 starting rookie QBs in Week 3 (Jones, Lawrence, Wilson). Is that a record? I was trying to find data on that but was struggling. 

Add in 2nd year guys starting this weekend (Herbert, Eason, Burrow, Hurts) and you've got 9/32 starters within their first two years. Not sure if I missed anyone. 

Also - here's an interesting factoid:

In his previous two teams, Tyrod went out with an injury and was replaced by a young QB as a result.

And never got his job back.

Those young QBs?

Baker Mayfield

Justin Herbert

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

In his previous two teams, Tyrod went out with an injury and was replaced by a young QB as a result.

Those young QBs?

Baker Mayfield

Justin Herbert

You forgot Nathan Peterman. Oh, wait, he sucked and Tyrod got his job back lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Those young QBs?

Baker Mayfield

Justin Herbert

Man, Tyrod has had some bad luck bc while I don’t think he’s a top half of the league starter, whenever he gets a chance to start he plays average. He’s more great back up than someone you’d want starting, but he’s an average starter too. He did take Buffalo to the playoffs in 2017 (the 1st time in 17 years) & made the pro bowl in 2015 for the bills.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Man, Tyrod has had some bad luck bc while I don’t think he’s a top half of the league starter, whenever he gets a chance to start he plays average. He’s more great back up than someone you’d want starting, but he’s an average starter too. He did take Buffalo to the playoffs in 2017 (the 1st time in 17 years) & made the pro bowl in 2015 for the bills.

Yeah, the guy doesn't suck. I think he's a legitimate NFL QB (but on the lower end). I don't think he's top 10 or top 12 but he's definitely in the 15-20 range and can get you to the playoffs with a good team around him. Dude just can't stay healthy (some of it is not his fault - punctured lung? Really?)

• Like 1