Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

39 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Could’ve had the 24-year one Darnold for our 5th or 6th round pick in 2021 and a 2nd and fourth round picks in 2022.

The Panthers' offense looks a lot more pedestrian with Christian McCaffrey out.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 11:39 PM, Thaiphoon said:

Almost forgot to remind @Woz

Last Saturday 9/18 was the 39th anniversary

09/18/1982

1:30pm

Scott Stadium

JMU @ UVA

The game features future NFL players (and Super Bowl champions) - Gary Clark and Charles Haley.

Final Score:

JMU 21

UVA 17

Of course we'd meet again the next year and lose 21-14 but I'm okay with the 1-2 record vs the 'Hoos (we won't talk about the 1st game in 1979 when we were still basically a rec team). We haven't been able to get on your schedule since then. Wish we could get you guys on the schedule again. It's just a short trip on Rte 33.

That was pre-George Welsh. Back then, Virginia absolutely stunk. They were the whipping boy of the ACC. Until Duke broke the record in the 90s, Virginia had the record for consecutive ACC losses.

So, that's not that surprising.

Heck, part of the lore of the Pep Banned was that in the 70s, they played the Good Ole Song when Virginia managed to get first downs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woz said:

That was pre-George Welsh. Back then, Virginia absolutely stunk. They were the whipping boy of the ACC. Until Duke broke the record in the 90s, Virginia had the record for consecutive ACC losses.

So, that's not that surprising.

Heck, part of the lore of the Pep Banned was that in the 70s, they played the Good Ole Song when Virginia managed to get first downs.

Correction: that was Welsh's first year. They went 2-9 that year.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 2:42 PM, RSkinGM said:

Well, wasn't a start. He came in after Tyrod got hurt . But, agreed - he didn't exactly light it up ! I want to see what he does after a week prep as the starter. 

I would give him a month since a 3 day turnaround isn't exactly fair to evaluate either.

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

True, he’s all world. If any team Loses their #1 weapon they take a major step back.

Oh, I get that. It's just that I wouldn't anoint Darnold just yet.

Don't follow my lead like I did with Winston. It's much safer that way.

Edited by Woz

16 minutes ago, Woz said:

Oh, I get that. It's just that I wouldn't anoint Darnold just yet.

Don't follow my lead like I did with Winston. It's much safer that way.

QBs are going to have up and down games during the season. Even the great ones have some duds, look at Rodgers week 1. Losing a player like McCaffery during the game is tough bc he’s such a focal point of the running game & passing game, it’s hard to adjust the game plan to replace that production in game.

I just laugh my butt off watching these guys try to justify why they are scurred to open up the playoffs. 

Cue the tiny violins playing for the wussies (I have a different name I want to use here) in the FBS. The FCS has been doing this for a very long time now. None (well almost none) of these excuses are getting any traction with me.

The only thing that would even remotely hold water to me is the TV contracts issue and that can be solved easily (or will be solved by the time they open up the playoffs) by letting the contract run out and putting the expanded playoffs up for bid. Which would increase revenue.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-playoff-expansion-vote-will-not-be-held-next-week-as-resistance-to-process-grows/?fbclid=IwAR3G1eD9yCRODQT3B8d6KYagrt5w0ghHr6gdapt_rXiNtODBVJzreuIElCw

Get it done FBS. Stop acting like a bunch of wussies.

Note: Before you start to try to legitimize the excuses...don't. The FCS/1-AA has been doing this for years. With stadiums all over the country (yes including extreme North stadiums, one of which (@Montana) JMU won a championship at after playing every playoff game on the road). And doing it during Thanksgiving break and all through December. Man up FBS.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I just laugh my butt off watching these guys try to justify why they are scurred to open up the playoffs. 

Cue the tiny violins playing for the wussies (I have a different name I want to use here) in the FBS. The FCS has been doing this for a very long time now. None (well almost none) of these excuses are getting any traction with me.

No, the real reason they don't want to open up the playoffs is that they don't want eight of the twelve spots to go to the SEC.

Note they aren't proposing taking all of the conference champions into the playoffs. It's just the Power 5 conference structure on steroids. That's why they aren't able to come to consensus.

Now, if it were all conference champions plus two to six at-large bids, it would be much more equitable and interesting. But they don't want to do that. Notice also that this also doesn't include Notre Dame except through an at-large bid. Join the ACC or Big Ten.

• Like 1