Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

2 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

So... looks like Cooley's out on 980.  Gonna miss his film reviews.

Yeah, he hasn’t hardly been on in 6 weeks, only for a few days. At first I thought it was a vacation for all of July. I think he goes home to Wyoming, but he’s only been on a few days so far since training camp started. It’s weird.

Also, Doc is off the airways.

Silver Spring-based media conglomerate Urban One assumed operational control of The Team 980 (WTEM-AM) on Wednesday, two months after the sale of Redskins owner Daniel Snyder’s flagship and final radio property was announced. The changeover has left the station’s programming lineup in flux, with several longtime hosts conspicuously absent from the airwaves this week.

We don’t comment on personnel decisions,” The Team 980 program director Chris Johnson said when asked about a report from DCRTV that four 980 hosts, including former Redskins tight ends Chris Cooley and Rick “Doc” Walker, were let go as part of budget cuts. “However, we’re still in the process of finalizing our lineup.”

The Team 980 has been the flagship home of the Redskins since 2008, when Snyder-owned Red Zebra Broadcasting, which will be liquidated in the coming months, purchased WTEM. Terry Bateman, the chairman of Red Zebra Broadcasting, said Thursday that Redskins games — as well as pregame and postgame coverage — will continue to air on The Team 980 and WMAL, and that Cooley and Walker will remain part of the broadcasts, no matter the status of their respective shows.

“The broadcast will be controlled by the Redskins organization going forward,” Bateman said in a phone interview. “The broadcast team remains the same, so it’s Larry [Michael], Sonny [Jurgensen], Chris and Doc. The pregame is still being finalized, as is the postgame. Those will be announced shortly, but the broadcast will be the same as it’s always been.”

Cooley, who was not on the air Wednesday or Thursday, has co-hosted a weekday morning drive-time show from with Kevin Sheehan since 2016. Before that, he co-hosted an afternoon show, “The Drive with Cooley and Czabe” with Steve Czaban, for four years.

“I would love to continue to do the show with Kevin,” Cooley said Thursday. “I think it’s awesome, I think people enjoy it. I love going to work and doing it every day, I know Kevin loves going to work and doing it every day, and we’re trying to figure it out.”

Walker, who did not respond to a request for comment, has been a regular contributor to the station since shortly after it began as Sportsradio 570 “The Team” in 1992. Walker was one of the original co-hosts of “The John Thompson Show,” which debuted in 1999, and has hosted the afternoon show “Inside the Locker Room” with Brian Mitchell and Scott Jackson for several years. Walker and Jackson have been off the air since Tuesday; Mitchell co-hosted on Wednesday and Thursday with Chick Hernandez, whose contract with NBC Sports Washington expired and was not renewed in June.

Al Galdi, who has hosted “The Morning Blitz” from 5-7 a.m. since May 2016, has hosted an extended version of his show over the last two days and Czaban has continued to host his afternoon drive time show. Former Redskins cornerback Fred Smoot and Al Koken have filled in during the midday 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. slot, which had been occupied by Bram Weinstein since Tony Kornheiser left the station to run his own podcast in July 2016.

Edited by turtle28

So, Cooley and Doc will still call the games. Seems like Scott Jackson and Kevin Sheehan are gone, it sucks for them but I won’t be bothered too much. 

They’re extending Galdi in the morning, I like him but don’t love him so that’s whatever... I’d much rather listen to Cooley. Looks like I’ll be listening to the Junkies almost all the time now, which isn’t s bad thing. The only reason I listened to 980 in the morning was because of Cooley.

Al Koken (who I love) will be on with Fred Smoot from 11-1 which will be a hell of a lot better than Bram. Bram was awful as a monologue host on the radio. He’s fine reading the news or whatever but not an on air radio personality type, he’s nothing, not a color guy.

Chick & BMitch have always been good together on Comcast Sports Net/NBCSPORTS Washington so that should be awesome but losing Doc will hurt that show.

So 11-4 time frame has gotten better. I think they did all this bc they know they can’t compete with the Junkies and the mid day was getting killed by Grant & Danny and Chad Dukes until Czabe came on.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

So ... they dumped good talent from an underpowered AM radio station?

Winning off the dial, apparently.

My personal thought is it’s budget cuts. Extending Galdi means saving $ by not having to pay for the more experienced Sheehan and having to pay for Cooley’s talent. Bram probably got a hefty contract to leave ESPN (but he does suck at radio) and going to new hires Chick & Smoot probably saves $ there as does going from a 3 man team from 1-4 to a 2 man team.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Chad Dukes is a loser. How anyone can be a fan of his is beyond me?

Wasn't bad when paired with LaVar but as a solo host, I agree.

Edited by Woz
*Solo* host, not a *solid* host. Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Chad Dukes is a loser. How anyone can be a fan of his is beyond me?

I normally still have 1067 on from the Junkies when I get in the car to head home, and I need to change that station with quickness each time. Unfathomable to me people could like him.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Also, sports related, someone should try to hire Santana Moss. I really enjoy him every time he’s on. I’d listed to a Santana Moss/DeAngelo Hall radio show on my drives home.

The only people that make Dukes tolerable are when he’s with ex-Redskins. Whether that was Lavar back in the day, Tana or when he has guys call in like Golston or Will Montgomery etc.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

My favorite thing now is when you get people who never really saw him play or non-Redskins fans talk about Sean not being a complete safety. Calling him overrated. 

Sean was about as complete a safety as I’ve ever seen. He could hit, cover, play in the box, rush the passer etc. just do absolute everything. It absolutely sucks that he passed and the idea that he’s overrated by Redskins fans is ridiculous. Especially when you have NFL experts still referencing him as a comparison when the best safety’s in college come out for the draft. What a talent he was. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

My favorite thing now is when you get people who never really saw him play or non-Redskins fans talk about Sean not being a complete safety. Calling him overrated. 

Sean was about as complete a safety as I’ve ever seen. He could hit, cover, play in the box, rush the passer etc. just do absolute everything. It absolutely sucks that he passed and the idea that he’s overrated by Redskins fans is ridiculous. Especially when you have NFL experts still referencing him as a comparison when the best safety’s in college come out for the draft. What a talent he was. 

If he hadn’t passed away he probably would still be playing at the age of 35 - starting with Swearinger - and tutoring Nicholson, Everett and Apke.

As you said, there’s no underscoring what a loss he was for the organization in 07. The Redskins losing him at the age of 24 would be equivalent to if Ray Lewis did get sent to prison and they lost him as their best player, leader and rock in his prime.

I mean let’s put it this way, when he played against TO - a Hall of Famer - whether it was when TO was with the Cowboys or Eagles, TO was afraid of him and dropped passes as Sean intimidated him like no other DB in the NFL and TO always heard Sean’s footsteps.

Edited by turtle28