RUMOR: Vance Joseph to be let go?

.Buzz

14 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Elway asked about the coaching staff. Says they will finish the season out but he’s embarrassed by recent performance and will do all he can to fix things.

Sure sounds like everyone’s fired.

End of season though is fine.  Can be justified with a need to change direction overhaul the O etc.  As long as it’s not now and we get a post-firing bump lol.

Really that’s the best answer we could hope for.  Was worried you were going to link a report Elway was thinking of doing it pre-Indy game (short week unlikely though).  :D

On 11/28/2017 at 5:06 PM, paul-mac said:

Elway needs to go right back to day one, pretend it's late 2010 and he's just been hired to turn a broken franchise around, armed with a top-5 draft pick and his free choice of head coaches (Including the option to keep Joseph but I don't want him to go down that route)

On that occasion he went for an experienced, defensive minded head coach that got the team playing mistake free football. Now, that coach was never going to elevate his team to world beaters and Elway arguably kept him a year too long, but in his first couple of seasons he did exactly what he needed to do. We've seen with both Fox himself and Jeff Fisher in their most recent coaching stops that this kind of guy really wear out their welcomes in the NFL so it's important to me that we find a guy with head coaching experience but also not TOO MUCH head coaching experience. A defensive minded guy who enjoyed moderate success in his first head coaching stop is what Elway should look for.

The standout guy that I can think of to this point is Tampa Bay Buccaneers Defensive Coordinator Mike Smith. Smith spent seven years as the Falcons head coach, making the playoffs four times. He couldn't win in January but that's not what we need right now.

Mike smith can't  even get the tampa d playing well. I want Joe or john defillipo the eagles qb coach. I probably butchered his name.  He's one of the most up and coming minds in football.

On the surface people may say its Mcdaniels jr. But keep in mind he won't  hold all the power mac had.

I was banging the table for Mcvay last off season only to be told we weren't even considering him.

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Mike smith can't  even get the tampa d playing well. I want Joe or john defillipo the eagles qb coach. I probably butchered his name.  He's one of the most up and coming minds in football.

On the surface people may say its Mcdaniels jr. But keep in mind he won't  hold all the power mac had.

I was banging the table for Mcvay last off season only to be told we weren't even considering him.

Yeah, DeFilippo is getting a ton of steam right now.  Honestly, I like the young hires because if they work out you can get a decades worth of stability at HC and stability is an under appreciated thing in the NFL.

I don’t think Elway goes that route though. It’ll be a veteran or former HC that won’t be learning on the fly. I’d love to be wrong, though. 

7 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Yeah, DeFilippo is getting a ton of steam right now.  Honestly, I like the young hires because if they work out you can get a decades worth of stability at HC and stability is an under appreciated thing in the NFL.

I don’t think Elway goes that route though. It’ll be a veteran or former HC that won’t be learning on the fly. I’d love to be wrong, though. 

Yes, because the last two rookie head coaches we hired worked out so well...

The Broncos need an experienced guy to get us playing 7-9/8-8 type football THEN go all in on some young guy to put us over the edge. That’s what the Rams did with Jeff Fisher and how Sean McVay. They got the guy in to make them respectable first and then replaced him with the guy that elevates them to a playoff team. Denver has done this before with John Fox. He was the right hire for the team at the time to get us back to being decent, but we could never win the superbowl with him and we eventually had to get rid of him. Mike Smith was just the first name to spring to mind because we obviously aren’t going to bring John Fox back, Jeff Fisher is probably finished and Lovie Smith didn’t exactly set the world on fire in his last head coaching role. 

7 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

The Broncos need an experienced guy to get us playing 7-9/8-8 type football THEN go all in on some young guy to put us over the edge. That’s what the Rams did with Jeff Fisher and how Sean McVay. They got the guy in to make them respectable first and then replaced him with the guy that elevates them to a playoff team. Denver has done this before with John Fox. He was the right hire for the team at the time to get us back to being decent, but we could never win the superbowl with him and we eventually had to get rid of him. Mike Smith was just the first name to spring to mind because we obviously aren’t going to bring John Fox back, Jeff Fisher is probably finished and Lovie Smith didn’t exactly set the world on fire in his last head coaching role. 

I agree Fox was the right hire at the time.  But plenty of the veteran coaches don’t pan out either.

Ultimately just like drafting or any other personnel move in any other profession you hire the best candidate....and that’s not always the guy with the most experience.

52 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

No no no I wanna coach that is,in it for the long haul who is on the same page as elway and can maximized draftable talent. Anything else is a cop out

43 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Elway will look to make a big splash in FA at QB. If he fails, he will find himself out of a job before the 2020 season.

Honestly the only big splash imo is cousins.  Maybe tyrod but I just don’t think elway goes that route.  Eli is the most likely but that’s a disaster waiting to happen imo

24 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Honestly the only big splash imo is cousins.  Maybe tyrod but I just don’t think elway goes that route.  Eli is the most likely but that’s a disaster waiting to happen imo

He’ll go after Cousins. Makes Denver an immediate contender. That’s what I’d do too. And I wouldn’t shy away from a 1&2 to do it. Maybe throw Lynch in too. Simean the backup.

17 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

He’ll go after Cousins. Makes Denver an immediate contender. That’s what I’d do too. And I wouldn’t shy away from a 1&2 to do it. Maybe throw Lynch in too. Simean the backup.

No way you don't build a team by trading a first and second round high picks. And by stripping the roster of the talent they have in order to pay a decent qb 25+ million a year.

I'm just thinking how Elway thinks this team is in uncharted territory. He's feeling uncomfortable giving up all of that for Cousins will make him also uncomfortable.  Hiring a young first time head coach while drafting a qb will make him uncomfortable. 

So here is what he will do he will hire a veteran head coach. Draft bpa with quality picks. And he'll also go for a qb in rounds 2 or 3 to groom and develop on the fly. I think Beckert from Virginia is a guy that makes the most sense. 

If Bradford wasn't so injury prone I could see Elway going for him but that's not the case.

FWIW CLE can offer Hou 2018 1st (which right now is 1.7) & their 2.1 and another pick and we are outbid.   They have 3 2nds & 3 3rds.  And that’s before you factor in that we have no cap space to upgrade elsewhere without cutting guys like Talib.  And CLE has 100M+!  

Cousins to DEN isn’t happening guys.  

Archived