2023 Roster - some thoughts

KC_Guy

On 8/10/2023 at 7:21 PM, onejayhawk said:

A few things are interesting. Wanya Morris is probably a lock to make the team but he is not emerging as the swing OT. Malik Herring over Joshua Kaindoh. Richie James and Deneric Prince are listed as PR and KR, most likely ensuring each a spot on the 53.

After week 1 of preseason I’d rather keep Remigio than Prince

7 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

After week 1 of preseason I’d rather keep Remigio than Prince

Remigio has 6-7 WR in front of him so he gets squeezed off the 53. Prince is only the #4 RB and he seems to have taken the KO return job. Either or both should land on the PS.

13 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Remigio has 6-7 WR in front of him so he gets squeezed off the 53. Prince is only the #4 RB and he seems to have taken the KO return job. Either or both should land on the PS.

I understand that, I just thought Remigio flashed a little more to me in the return game also.  Wonder how his injury factors in.

10 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I understand that, I just thought Remigio flashed a little more to me in the return game also.  Wonder how his injury factors in.

At this point the injury is nothing. In two weeks a minor injury might be different. 

Remigio will make PS and likely get called up. For the moment, Richie James provides some badly needed veteran stability.

• 2 weeks later...

My final guess on the 53 man roster (not depth chart):

QB: Mahomes, Gabbert, Buechele - 3

RB: Pacheco, CEH, Perine, McKinnon - 4

WR: MVS, Rice, Moore, Watson, James, Ross, Smith-Marsette - 7

TE: Kelce, Gray, Bell - 3

OL: D Smith, Taylor, Thuney, Humphrey, T Smith, Niang, Morris, Allegretti, Kinnard, Tega Wanogho - 10

Offense: 27

DL: Karlaftis, Danna, Nnadi, Jones, Wharton, FAU, Thompson, Coburn, Herring, Shelton - 10

LB: Gay, Bolton, Chenal, Tranquill, Cochrane - 5

DB: McDuffie, Williams, Sneed, Watson, Reid, Bush, Cook, Edwards, Conner - 9

Defense: 24

ST: Butker, Townsend, Winchester - 3

PUP/IR/SUSP: Toney, Fortson, Omenihu,

Practice squad: Chris Oladokun, Deneric Prince, Cornell Powell, Nikko Remigio, Ty Fryfogle, Matt Bushman, Mike Caliendo, Austin Reiter, Daniel Wise, Cole Christiansen, Nic Jones, Kahlef Hailassie -- a total of 12 leaving 4 for other team's cuts

I don't recall if Jones will count against the 53 but I assume he does. My total also adds up to 54. I think one of the OL depth guys gets traded for a mid-late pick. If not, I think one of BJ Thompson, Jack Cochrane, Darian Kinnard, or Smith-Marsette get cut. Personally, I'd go with Kinnard to the practice squad.

• Like 1

My final guess:

(3)QB:   Mahomes //  Gabbert //  Buechele
(3)RB:  Pacheco //  McKinnon  //  Perine
(7)WR:  MVS //  Toney  //  Moore  //  James  //  Watson  //  Rice //  Ross
(3)TE:  Kelce //  Gray  //  Bell
(9)OL:  Smith //  Thuney // Humphrey  //  Smith  //  Taylor  //  Tega-Wanogho //  Morris //  Allegretti  //  Niang

(6)Edge:  G. Karlaftis  //  M. Danna //  FAU //  M. Herring  //  BJ Thompson  //  M. Dickerson
(5)DT:   C. Jones //  D. Nnadi // T. Wharton //  D. Shelton  //  Coburn
(5) LB:  Bolton  //  Gay // Chenal // Tranquill  //  Cochrane
(5) CB:  McDuffie // Sneed  //  Williams //  Watson  //  N. Jones
(4)Saf:   Reid //  Cook  //  Edwards //  Conner

ST's:   Butker //  Townsend  //  Winchester

Niang and CEH were the final 2.   If we can get a solid interior OL I would move on from both.,

Dickerson/Kaindoh
Cochrane/Cam Jones

Were 2 others that were pretty close.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Disappointing to see. I’ve been wanting to see what he can do for awhile now and he’s gone. Too bad we couldn’t just get that 7th straight up. 

Yeah, seems light, but that’s the breaks I guess.  Thought he had a chance to make our 53.  Guessing this means Toney is close for a week or 2 before he’s back on the shelf.

Honestly, I'll take getting anything for Smith-Marsette. I don't think he had any chance of making the roster, just from a numbers perspective, the team probably knew he had no chance of making it to the PS, so anything is a win over losing him for nothing. Was presumably hard to get anyone to give up much given that the writing was kind of on the wall there, too.