2023 Roster - some thoughts

KC_Guy

45 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

The Athletic's Nate Taylor writes Chiefs DT Chris Jones wants an extension "that will make him at least the second-highest player at his position." 

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF by Giphy QA

He's currently the 3rd highest iirc. So something like 3 for $66m or 4 for$ 88m with $50ish guaranteed may get it done.

48 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

The Chiefs might actually gain cap space be giving Jones an extension. NFL finances are weird.

They will gain space. That's the main reason for getting an extension done now vs waiting til next year.

I just wish they'd go ahead and do extensions for Sneed, Danna, and Gay rather than waiting.

• Like 1

Seems odd to say, but that’s a pretty team focused move by Jones.  Everyone knows he could push for highest ever deal, and likely deserves it.  Seems like a case of when Pat left money for him, he understands leaving money for the next guy.

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

They will gain space. That's the main reason for getting an extension done now vs waiting til next year.

I just wish they'd go ahead and do extensions for Sneed, Danna, and Gay rather than waiting.

The problem with those 3 extensions is they come with A LOT more money than true current contracts.

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

The problem with those 3 extensions is they come with A LOT more money than true current contracts.

A lot is relative. Jones and Clark would likely get over $30 MM just as base salary. Those three might combine for less than half of that. 

11 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Seems odd to say, but that’s a pretty team focused move by Jones.  Everyone knows he could push for highest ever deal, and likely deserves it.  Seems like a case of when Pat left money for him, he understands leaving money for the next guy.

Na, there is no way he has a chance to beat out Aaron Donald contract-wise

13 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

A lot is relative. Jones and Clark would likely get over $30 MM just as base salary. Those three might combine for less than half of that. 

Relative to their current contracts.  I’m very ok with Jones being connected with second.  As I said, guess leaving money for others.  At least he’s not overrating his worth and wanting to be the highest paid player at his position…Like our LT.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 9:01 PM, EMAW_KSU said:

Even Jones acknowledges that Aaron Donald is best. 

Aare there any updates on progress?

Edited by onejayhawk

• 1 month later...

Pushing this one up again before we get into draft week.

I updated the current roster in the original post to the best of my knowledge. With Gabbert being the vet QB .. and swapping Saunders for Nnadi I think I was not that far off. Losing Thornhill though was a bummer for me.

Quite honestly, doesn't look too bad for me. OT, DE, WR ... but no need to force for an immediate starter.

Let's go ...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OP updated after day 2.

Interesting situation at WR: are they to carry SIX into the season? Or who is going to be out?

The easiest to cut would be James, leaving roughly 500k$ in dead money. Anyone else would be north of 1M$.

Further draft:

I'd expect at least one RB, LB and CB each.

Edited by KC_Guy