Raiders to release QB Derek Carr

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

See I don't think you can. I think Carr, like Stafford, needs a failproof situation to win anything of note in this league. He's not someone you can put on an average situation and expect him to elevate it. Drew Brees took a miserable historically awful defense and got his team middle of the pack. Carr craters out to bottom of the league in the same situation. 

Anybody can win in a perfect situation. That's not a good barometer. The corpse of Peyton Manning who could hardly through a football got carried to a SB win with an all time defense. Nobody on Earth would have suggested that meant "oh you can win with him in the right situation so you should invest in him going forward". If the choice is 32 year old Derek Carr vs someone average who is younger, I go with the younger guy, if I'm a team that is not in immediate win now mode, I take my chances on a draft pick. 

He's someone you get IF you have nothing at QB and the rest of your team is rock solid and you just need someone okay to fill the role. Also based on last year, I have a very hard time believing there aren't at least 10 QB's in the league who could have got a better outcome on that Raiders team than Carr with his play.

Drew Brees might have been the worst possible name to bring up I'm honestly surprised you even went there. You're talking about the same guy who's team bailed on him after 5 years and then only went on to light it up in a new situation?

In Brees' 15 years in New Orleans they had a top 20 scoring defense 9 times. He made the playoffs every single time. The other 6 years they did not have a top 20 defense. He made it 0 times. Carr's best defensive ranking of all time? 20th.

Drew Brees' 2009 season where he won the bowl with a bad defense was definitely impressive but just keep in mind that would've been the best defense carr ever had.

I also don't think anyone is saying Carr is the type of QB Drew Brees is. Nobody is calling Carr a hall of famer here. Brees is a bonafide top 10 QB of all time.

I agree with the last 2 paragraphs tho I don't think anyone was trying to argue that. IF your team is solid all around I think you can win with Carr is simply the point I was trying to make. If your team is rebuilding obviously you don't want him. I think he's a good fit for the Jets. Is he a good fit for the Texans? Absolutely not.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Stafford's skillset is far superior to Carr's. Much better passer, better arm, etc. And most importantly Stafford is tough and will hang in the pocket. Carr is afraid to take a hit and leaves plays on the field as a result. 

The comparison doesn't make sense outside they both played for bad teams. Carr is more Andy Dalton or Kirk Cousins. 

Nah, I don’t agree with this. They have very similar skill sets and tendencies. Stafford has had plenty of head scratching plays, they’re similar calibre of player IMO. If you argued Stafford was better I wouldn’t fight that but they’re in the same bracket. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Nah, I don’t agree with this. They have very similar skill sets and tendencies. Stafford has had plenty of head scratching plays, they’re similar calibre of player IMO. If you argued Stafford was better I wouldn’t fight that but they’re in the same bracket. 

You didn’t counter his accurate points though… Staff’s arm is way better and the guy is tough as nails and will stay in the pocket until the last second to get a completion, even if he gets folded like a lawn chair. Carr doesn’t do that and will not do that. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

You didn’t counter his accurate points though… Staff’s arm is way better and the guy is tough as nails and will stay in the pocket until the last second to get a completion, even if he gets folded like a lawn chair. Carr doesn’t do that and will not do that. 

Why do I have to counter them, I simply said I didn’t agree with his assessment?

Carr and Stafford are very similar players IMO. Stafford is more prone to brain farts but will hang in the pocket slightly better. Carr is better on short and intermediate stuff and gets the ball out quicker making his OLine look better but is more pragmatic, Stafford has a slightly bigger arm and better deep thrower. Stafford is more of a gunslinger type if you like. They’re in the same bracket of QB. 

I genuinely would like to see Carr go to a good situation out of curiosity to see what he can do in a good team.