Raiders to release QB Derek Carr

RaidersAreOne

11 hours ago, Leoric said:

I don’t think the Saints had anything to do with it. I think Carr never had any intention of waiving his no trade clause. He was only guaranteed another 30 million or so in his old contract and I am sure he will get more than that just in signing bonus on the FA market. 

Oh no I'm just saying the saints are a better organization than the raiders. Agreed on all counts, let him choose his path in FA is the smart move.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, G said:

I think he takes a super team friendly deal for 1 season no trade clause and no tag and wins it all in SF. Then he'd get way more on his next contract and the stench of not winning a playoff game is forever erased. 

Zero chance he takes a one year deal. The risk is too high. He's going to get a 30+ mil per season deal offer from teams. To eschew that in favor of a 1 year deal in a new system, hoping to look amazing isn't smart. Adapting to completely new offenses typically takes time and without any long term deal in place , there is little incentive for the team to keep starting him once they feel like their young guys are healthy and ready.  Plus he'd have to hope he could stay healthy, something apparently no 49ers QB can do.

To take on all that risk in hopes of getting an extra 10 mil per year on a future contract doesn't make much sense, especially if he is taking some kind of discount like some here have mentioned. 

11 hours ago, G said:

I think he takes a super team friendly deal for 1 season no trade clause and no tag and wins it all in SF. Then he'd get way more on his next contract and the stench of not winning a playoff game is forever erased. 

Zero chance he takes a one year deal. The risk is too high. He's going to get a 30+ mil per season deal offer from teams. To eschew that in favor of a 1 year deal in a new system, hoping to look amazing isn't smart. Adapting to completely new offenses typically takes time and without any long term deal in place , there is little incentive for the team to keep starting him once they feel like their young guys are healthy and ready.  Plus he'd have to hope he could stay healthy, something apparently no 49ers QB can do.

To take on all that risk in hopes of getting an extra 10 mil per year on a future contract doesn't make much sense, especially if he is taking some kind of discount like some here have mentioned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

Definitely the best available QB by a good margin. Average at best? Which 16 QBs would you put ahead of him?

I'd have these 9 QB's for sure over Carr:

Mahomes

Allen

Hurts

Burrow

Herbert

Rodgers

Jackson

Lawrence

Watson

These guys are very comparable and I think most would rank them higher than Carr at this point:

Dak

Cousins

Tua

Then there's a tier of QB's that are either too young to tell or had a similar "off year" like Carr last year:

Stafford

R. Wilson

Murray

Fields

I would say it's a safe assumption to say most would have Derek Carr outside of their current top 12 QB rankings. A few might put him in that 10-12 range, but I think most would probably have him closer to 15th going into 2023, which I would say is pretty fair. I think he has the potential to bounce back a bit a get closer to fringe top 10, but him in a new system on a new team is a pretty big question mark to make that happen. In other words, I'd be inclined to agree that I view him as an average starting QB, with the potential to be a bit better than that.

I do agree that he is the best QB available in Free Agency by a good margin this year. I just don't know that meeting his salary demands is our best move long term. He will take up a good chunk of cap, he will likely help us win enough games to not be in contention for a top QB in the draft, but I don't think will put us over the top in a position to actually win anything meaningful. I could certainly see us missing out on some long term franchise QB's to build around if were to sign Carr. Crazier things have happened and maybe we catch lightning in a bottle for a year with Carr and we get some bounces that go our way if we make the playoffs (we should in the NFC South's current state), but I am skeptical.

1 hour ago, Xmad said:

Starting caliber QBs in this league are worth something, ya'll bungled your relationship with your QB for the past decade to save a coach who will get fired in 1-3 seasons, you benched him signaling to the rest of the league he's not worth the position on your roster, thus killing his trade value, and then try to trade him....when we all know you're just gonna cut him after the bridge is burned.

Carr's not a great QB but he's consistently solid which is ****ing rare in this league. Stability at a position for a decade is something most teams would kill for at the QB position and again ya'll just let him walk for **** all.

100 percent.  Now we are looking at a situation where we have nothing at QB and a coach on the hot seat who is likely looking at a 4ish win season that will get him canned. 

The front office really botched this by extending Carr last offseason instead of letting him play out the final year of his deal.  The extension not only payed Carr more last season but gave him all the power with the NTC which allowed him to walk while the organization receives nothing in compensation.  Had we not extended him we would have paid him less last offseason, allowed him to walk after this year and at least received a comp pick.  

Another terrible look by our front office.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Our FO didn't manage this well but we get $25M+ in cap space overnight after cutting an average at best QB. Poor cupcake. I think the Raiders will survive this colassal departure. 

Average at best? C'mon dude..... I know you're emotional about him but that's just flat out incorrect

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I said exactly this when he was benched.  If I was Carr I would sign a 1 year 10Mish deal to compete for the starting QB in SF which he would win.  Purdy is injured and a clipboard holder outside of the SF system and Lance has shown nothing in two years.  Carr would have success in this system and would make a deep playoff/SB run then could back in the Brinks truck the following year.  

I doubt this happens but if I was Carr that is what I would do.  He would beat out those guys without question and would most certainly give SF the best QB they have had since KS took over.  

The second option would be to sign a deal with the Jets.  They are a team that can compete now and is a QB away.  the have a legit #1 in Wilson, a good slot WR in Moore a decent 2 in Davis, an above average Oline and a young, up and coming D.  They are a QB away from making a legit playoff push. 

I would put Indy, Bucks and Washington as decent fits as well.  Not as ideal as SF or the Jets but I think Carr can have success there.  I would not be on board with the Saints or Panthers as I don't think they are good fits. 

Saints and Panthers are not good fits, but Carr competing against Buffalo, Miami and NE in a cold weather division with the NY media peppering him all season is a good fit?

4 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I dont disagree with his take at all. To me DC is an average NFL QB. Same with Kirk, and Dak, just to name a couple off the top of my head.

Think most would argue that Dak and Kirk are closer to top 10 than average. Carr is a tier below both so average is probably fair for him. Can he perform at that fringe top ten level like Cousins and Dak, maybe in the right spot. SF seems like a good landing spot if they aren’t sold on any QB. 

2 hours ago, Xmad said:

Carr's not a great QB but he's consistently solid which is ****ing rare in this league. Stability at a position for a decade is something most teams would kill for at the QB position and again ya'll just let him walk for **** all.

Carr is not consistent, which has been the problem for years. He's always takes 2 steps forward, then a Giant step back. Will look fantastic one week, then completely come apart a week or 2 later. Winning organizations would have given up on him years ago. This is why he's been subject to trade rumors for 5 seasons now.

And Carr had a hand in walking. You can't justify his contract after how he played. Bad deal on the Raiders part, but the QB was inconsistent and not worth the contract. 

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Think most would argue that Dak and Kirk are closer to top 10 than average. Carr is a tier below both so average is probably fair for him. Can he perform at that fringe top ten level like Cousins and Dak, maybe in the right spot. SF seems like a good landing spot if they aren’t sold on any QB. 

I feel like at this point were splitting hairs here. To me there isnt a whole lot of difference between the 3. The gap between #10 and wherever you wanna rate Carr is a lot closer than the gap between say #10 and whoever is your #5.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Saints and Panthers are not good fits, but Carr competing against Buffalo, Miami and NE in a cold weather division with the NY media peppering him all season is a good fit?

Saints and Panthers sure seem like by far the best fits to me. 

I'd say moreso for Carolina. Reich is a QB-friendly HC, McCown and Carr seem like they'd mesh really well together, they've got some ok talent at skill positions but could improve via FA/Draft, and Ejiro is probably going to have them playing at least pretty good D. 

I get the Dennis Allen-Carr connection, I just think that's probably a little bit overplayed. 

But I don't understand the Jets connection whatsoever. 

30 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Average at best? C'mon dude..... I know you're emotional about him but that's just flat out incorrect

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. He good more times than he's not albeit he did regress this year. I would like to think he'd get better w/ another year in the same offense but it's moot to discuss it at this point.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Saints and Panthers sure seem like by far the best fits to me. 

I'd say moreso for Carolina. Reich is a QB-friendly HC, McCown and Carr seem like they'd mesh really well together, they've got some ok talent at skill positions but could improve via FA/Draft, and Ejiro is probably going to have them playing at least pretty good D. 

I get the Dennis Allen-Carr connection, I just think that's probably a little bit overplayed. 

But I don't understand the Jets connection whatsoever. 

It's the Todd Downing hire as pass-game coordinator.  Downing was Carr's QBC when he was a sophomore in 2015.    Downing won PFF's QBCOTY (yes they have that award lol) for the progress Carr made under his watch. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raiders/raiders-todd-downing-named-pffs-qb-coach-year

It should also be recognized that once Downing got promoted to OC in 2018 (after 2 more years as QBC and more progress from Carr those 2 years) - the O cratered under his tenure as OC, and he / JDL were fired after 1 season.   And frankly, his work in TEN as OC hasn't inspired much confidence after being promoted for 2021-2 after Arthur Smith left.    But there's a pretty strong connection there.

It's kinda funny, you get the feeling the Jets hired Downing in case Carr is their QB, and Hackett in case ARod is the guy, and less for the OC / coaching fit overall.   We'll see how that plays out.

Edited by Broncofan