Raiders to release QB Derek Carr

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, Geezy said:

there are some Raiders fans that are still holding out hope he isnt a complete waste. 

Which is a shame. Dude destroyed Denver and now he’s imploding LV. Shame because they have some nice pieces to make a run. They can compete with the big dogs out in the east. 

24 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Not that I really want Derek Carr to sign with the Saints, but there is a part of me that hopes he signs with the Saints as soon as free agency starts and it comes out that he had an agreement in place during his visit with us this past week. I want to see the chaos of this timeline play out where we play the Raiders by not having to give up a draft pick for him and skirt any “tampering” claims since we got permission to speak with Carr.

the Raiders deserve for it to play out this way.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Warhorse said:

Carr is far better at the QB job, then McDbag has ever been at his job. 

That’s what I’m saying. Like how could you put yourself in this situation to get nothing for Carr. 

Not saying you would get a lot, but the fact he’s just about to walk with no recuperation of assets is shows the ineptitude of that organization. 

They better go get Rodgers or find the next Geno because you trading picks and paying Davante and Chandler to be a rebuilding team makes this look even worse right now. 

They gonna have to trade pick 7 for Rodgers straight up or something for them to redeem themselves. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Just remember, the last time Josh McDaniels drove out a Pro Bowl QB from his team (Jay Cutler) he traded nearly his entire teams draft capital (2nd, 3rd and 4th) to move up and take a FB to play QB (Tim Tebow). 

Mark Davis has been tired of Carr for a few years and had his hands in this. And McDaniels is not the GM, so all this "what happened last time" talk is redundant. In reality, they got rid of a mid QB in Carr. Up to the Ziegler/McDaniels to put a succession plan in place. If it works, they look great, but doubt Davis gives them much leeway.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Mark Davis has been tired of Carr for a few years and had his hands in this. And McDaniels is not the GM, so all this "what happened last time" talk is redundant. In reality, they got rid of a mid QB in Carr. Up to the Ziegler/McDaniels to put a succession plan in place. If it works, they look great, but doubt Davis gives them much leeway.

If they've been planning to get rid of him for awhile then why did they extend his contract with a no trade clause?  They basically made it impossible for them to trade him.  They are idiots. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

If they've been planning to get rid of him for awhile then why did they extend his contract with a no trade clause?  They basically made it impossible for them to trade him.  They are idiots. 

So some Raider fans love to pretend they're in the locker room and management meetings when it comes to Carr. Take everything they say with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to Carr...... Especially when it comes to him

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I never thought I would see the day actually come. Carr is not good. Extremely average. Been saying it for years. 

- Can’t throw with anticipation like Elite QB’s can do. Same issue Dak and Kirk have. If no one’s open, good luck. These QB’s aren’t throwing anyone open. 

- Worst cold weather QB in the NFL. I’ve been saying since he got benched, the Saints is the only landing spot that makes sense for him. Dome and warm weather division. Carr isn’t winning games in the playoff cold. 

- One of the worst QB’s under pressure in the NFL. Bottom 5 for sure. Not as bad as Jimmy but bad. 

- Bad pocket presence. Will not stay in the pocket to take an incoming hit last second. That completion will never happen. 

- Not a leader. Passive aggressive and very sensitive, been this way for years. 

- His deep ball looks bad and floats. 

- One of the worst play extenders in the NFL. He’s BAD at this. Bottom 5 play extension starter for sure. 

What does Carr do positive? His arm strength in that first 20 yards is a damn rocket. (after 20 yards is bad though). His accuracy is pretty good in the first 20 yards as well, but sometimes his ball placement is REALLY wonky. He also is one of the better pre-snap QB’s in the NFL and pretty good at reading defenses and making adjustments. 

Do you have a notepad file on your PC full of your favorite talking points that you just open up whenever there's a Carr topic and break out the 'ol CTRL C and CTRL V?

Literally obsessed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Just remember, the last time Josh McDaniels drove out a Pro Bowl QB from his team (Jay Cutler) he traded nearly his entire teams draft capital (2nd, 3rd and 4th) to move up and take a FB to play QB (Tim Tebow). 

I fear Anthony Richardson is going to be our next QB. It likely won't require any draft capital but it will at least ruin us and McDaniels' tenure while wasting away the final years of Adam's, Renfrow's, and Waller's contracts then going into full rebuild mode. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Greene N White said:

Always thought he was a pretty decent QB. It's hard to win games in a team sport when your defense is statistically the worst of all time during your tenure.

This was the problem IMO. He never had a top half of the league defense and he was asked too much. Guy had his flaws and he had what he excelled in. One thing he was never going to be was the guy you had to constantly rely on to win you games every week like he had to basically his whole career. If he does get that in a new place, I'll be interested to see how well he does

• Like 2

11 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This is what I hate with the Carr arguments amongst Raider fans. Not everything has to be black and white. As things progress, you can change your position or feelings on a player. This is normal and healthy. It creates good discourse. 

You've been a consistent Carr homer for years. You've lost any credibility because you refuse to acknowledge even the most glaring deficiencies in his game. When challenged you just tell be that they don't know anything about football. I'm right, you're wrong.... it's the worst representation of fandom and unfortunately the norm among Raider fans lately.

I would hardly call myself a Carr homer, rather I am a realist.  I refuse to blame one player for this organizations ineptness over a two decade plus span and anyone who does knows nothing about football.  

I have praised Carr and have called him out when he plays bad.  I still maintain my stance that he is a top 12ish QB who has been let down by this organization every year of his career.  Constant coaching turnover, new schemes, failed free agent signings, atrocious draft picks, all while playing behind the leagues worst D is an organizational failure.  This is and has been the laughing stock of the NFL for over two decades and during that span 99 percent of NFL Qb's would not be able to have success under such circumstances.    

Is Carr on the same level as Mahomes, most certainly he is not but has had some pretty good years throwing to absolute trash WR's and has been the only stable thing on a franchise that is as unstable as any in the NFL.   

When I learned of Carr's benching I said exactly how I would play it if I was him and that is how it played out.  I love how ignorant fans on here are playing the victim card with the Raiders organization when they are the ones who signed off on the contract allowing Carr to walk while getting nothing in return and incurring a cap penalty next season.  Once again ineptness at it's finest but I expect nothing less as long as Mark Davis is running the show.  I stated on here that if I was Carr I would force them to cut him which is exactly what he did.  Why would a team give up draft capital to land someone who they could get at no cost a day later?  Carr owes nothing to the Raiders and should not allow his next team to weaken itself by trading picks when they can sign him and give up nothing. 

The pressure is now on for JM and DZ.  If we miss out on Rodgers, which is the most likely outcome, Carr signs with a team like the Jets and takes them to the playoffs while we sign a stopgap bum who wins 4ish games, JM and DZ are flat out toast and will never sniff a HC or GM job ever again. 

They took a massive risk, look terrible for the way the situation was handled, all while receiving nothing for Carr.  Like I have been saying for a very long time this is the worst ran organization in pro sports and free agents will avoid this dumpster fire like the plague.  The only way out of this is by having two to three A+ drafts and building a solid young core of talent.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Do think it's funny Raiders fans and the FO specifically  actually thought Carr would accept a trade, to help the Raiders! 

Cut him and get nothing was always his plan. Rightfully so. GL with a Rookie QB or.......JG? 🤣

Yeah, our forum loved to talk about how much he sucked and how terrible he was yet some of them thought we'd get a first for him. Weird stuff. 

We never had an ounce of leverage. There was an outside chance we'd get something but the odds were never even close to being in favor of that

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah, our forum loved to talk about how much he sucked and how terrible he was yet some of them thought we'd get a first for him. Weird stuff. 

We never had an ounce of leverage. There was an outside chance we'd get something but the odds were never even close to being in favor of that

The other ****ed up part, that no one is talking about, is how this situation is viewed by players and agents around the league and how this will affect who wants to come here and play.  Our only saving grace would be the long shot chance of landing Rodgers which I give a very small chance of happening. If we don't land Rodgers it will be very hard to land any top tier talent at a reasonable price tag.  If we overpay and are a bottom dwelling team with a bum like Jimmy G at QB, this team will win 4ish games and the players will quit on Jm and he will be fired. 

I have seen it many times over the last 20 years but the situation that sticks out the most was Moss.  The guy never wanted to be here and was forced to play with a bum QB in Collins.  Collins couldn't hit the side of a barn and Moss was giving about 50 percent effort, just trying to avoid injury and collect his millions.  He goes to NE and has one of the greatest receiving years ever.  That's the Raider way and sadly has been for 20+ years.  

What cracks me up is homer fans on here think the Raiders are some desirable destination for free agents.  I know for a fact that is quite far from the truth and while we have quite a bit in cap space after we cut Carr it will be more difficult for DZ to get quality value with his signings.  Everyone around the league knows this is a "graveyard franchise" where careers go to die. No one likes to lose and this is a loser of a franchise, it's quite sad but very true.   

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1