Raiders to release QB Derek Carr

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Xmad said:

Saints>Raiders on being able to fleece teams.

Also I'm gonna say it, Sean Payton is a worse coach than Derek Carr as a QB.

I don’t think the Saints had anything to do with it. I think Carr never had any intention of waiving his no trade clause. He was only guaranteed another 30 million or so in his old contract and I am sure he will get more than that just in signing bonus on the FA market. 

19 minutes ago, 43M said:

Sign Carr, draft Richardson to sit and learn?

I think the Jets make a strong push if they cant get Rodgers.

With regard to the Jets, That will heavily depend on how long car waits to sign. Some reports suggested the Rodgers situation won't resolve until closer to the draft.

As for the strategy of Carr taking any sort of deal that would make him a short term bridge QB, I just don't see it.  Multiple teams are going to bid on him so he should be getting a healthy chunk of guaranteed money coming his way.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2023 at 5:36 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

The only way out of this is by having two to three A+ drafts and building a solid young core of talent.  

This is all I'm hoping for. No more trading picks for players and don't trade up for a QB. TRADE DOWN and get solid players that contribute as rookies but are studs in year 3 even if all the coaching staff is replaced at that time at LEAST we have a foundation to build upon with a new coach. 'Z' better have this mindset as he'll be allowed 1 season with a new coach as long as he doesn't shoot for the fences making a stupid trade for Rodgers giving up two 1sts which he might do. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, G said:

This is all I'm hoping for. No more trading picks for players and don't trade up for a QB. TRADE DOWN and get solid players that contribute as rookies but are studs in year 3 even if all the coaching staff is replaced at that time at LEAST we have a foundation to build upon with a new coach. 'Z' better have this mindset as he'll be allowed 1 season with a new coach as long as he doesn't shoot for the fences making a stupid trade for Rodgers giving up two 1sts which he might do. 

This strategy is definitely wise for a team's longterm success, but a hard sell to GMs and coaches who realistically have short regimes if they don't find immediate and consistent success, sadly. From their perspective, stockpiling assets is pointless if you're not going to be around for the pay off.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I would love to see Carr go to a team that is well coached, has talent and a D that isn't bottom three in the NFL. which is a combo that he has never sniffed at any point in his career with the Raiders.  

I think he takes a super team friendly deal for 1 season no trade clause and no tag and wins it all in SF. Then he'd get way more on his next contract and the stench of not winning a playoff game is forever erased. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Sign Carr, draft Richardson to sit and learn?

I think the Jets make a strong push if they cant get Rodgers.

Jets are not gonna want nothing to do with Carr. Carr in that New York cold on November to January would be laughable. It’s still likely the Saints. Panthers are also in play here. 

• Like 1

Just now, G said:

I think he takes a super team friendly deal for 1 season no trade clause and no tag and wins it all in SF. Then he'd get way more on his next contract and the stench of not winning a playoff game is forever erased. 

Lmao no chance 49ers would start Carr over Purdy or Lance. Purdy cost pennies and proved he can run the system super well. And Lance has superstar potential and they still need to see if he’s NFL capable, he played one game before injury. 

Carr is an expensive average QB. 

17 minutes ago, G said:

I said exactly this when he was benched.  If I was Carr I would sign a 1 year 10Mish deal to compete for the starting QB in SF which he would win.  Purdy is injured and a clipboard holder outside of the SF system and Lance has shown nothing in two years.  Carr would have success in this system and would make a deep playoff/SB run then could back in the Brinks truck the following year.  

I doubt this happens but if I was Carr that is what I would do.  He would beat out those guys without question and would most certainly give SF the best QB they have had since KS took over.  

The second option would be to sign a deal with the Jets.  They are a team that can compete now and is a QB away.  the have a legit #1 in Wilson, a good slot WR in Moore a decent 2 in Davis, an above average Oline and a young, up and coming D.  They are a QB away from making a legit playoff push. 

I would put Indy, Bucks and Washington as decent fits as well.  Not as ideal as SF or the Jets but I think Carr can have success there.  I would not be on board with the Saints or Panthers as I don't think they are good fits. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I doubt this happens but if I was Carr that is what I would do.  He would beat out those guys without question and would most certainly give SF the best QB they have had since KS took over.  

If I was Carr I'd also think some bay area fans would embrace him playing in SF It is also similar to playing for a division rival as far as a middle finger to the Raiders higher ups. Actions speak louder than words and Derek won't say it but everyone would know it's the finger. lol  Also fits the stability he'd be looking for and the weapons on Offense are beyond excellent. Check downs to CMC could be TD's passing for Carr. lol  Of course Carr will get no credit for it from some of the Raiders fanbase lol and I worry about a young QB in Vegas. 

Jets would be good if he wants to break that cold weather rep and they could give him a long term deal that makes it a new home. 

As a Raider fan I'm happy to finally put an end to the off-season chatter about Carr but I worry that we are digging a deeper hole. I don't believe in McDaniels as a leader of men but if Brady unretires and we win a Super Bowl I'll be happy to eat crow on the bbq.  😃 I've got some on 'Iggy'  since early in the season because of being a broken record but I'll un'Iggy' them to eat that crow and just be happy to WIN again. If rebuild then think like Eagles and trenches trenches trenches...

• Like 1

Seeing fans and the media hyping up Carr now that he's not a Raider is freaking hilarious. You'd think we cut a soon to be HOFer who was greatly wronged by his team. Lollll.

Our FO didn't manage this well but we get $25M+ in cap space overnight after cutting an average at best QB. Poor cupcake. I think the Raiders will survive this colassal departure. 

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Seeing fans and the media hyping up Carr now that he's not a Raider is freaking hilarious. You'd think we cut a soon to be HOFer who was greatly wronged by his team. Lollll.

Our FO didn't manage this well but we get $25M+ in cap space overnight after cutting an average at best QB. Poor cupcake. I think the Raiders will survive this colassal departure. 

Definitely the best available QB by a good margin. Average at best? Which 16 QBs would you put ahead of him?

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Starting caliber QBs in this league are worth something, ya'll bungled your relationship with your QB for the past decade to save a coach who will get fired in 1-3 seasons, you benched him signaling to the rest of the league he's not worth the position on your roster, thus killing his trade value, and then try to trade him....when we all know you're just gonna cut him after the bridge is burned.

Carr's not a great QB but he's consistently solid which is ****ing rare in this league. Stability at a position for a decade is something most teams would kill for at the QB position and again ya'll just let him walk for **** all.