The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

9 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

If the Eagles just drafted a 1st round WR it wouldn't make sense for us either. Very simple.

Right.

It's not like the Eagles didn't draft a 1st round WR the year after drafting a first round WR.

I mean, it's not like the Eagles didn't then use a 1st, a 3rd and 100 million dollars to acquire a WR the year after drafting a first round WR the year after drafting a first round WR.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeezla said:

Not really, when you have a TE that gets close to 1k yards.

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

This is from 2021 but it still paints a pretty clear picture. Teams use 3 WR's, 1 TE, and 1 RB sets(11 personnel) 61% of the time. Teams go 10 personnel 2% of the time and 1 TE and no RB's 1% of the time.

You are considering production which is pointless when your just trying to get the best 11 guys on the field at one time. Having 4 threats on the field at once > 3.

Just now, downundermike said:

Right.

It's not like the Eagles didn't draft a 1st round WR the year after drafting a first round WR.

I mean, it's not like the Eagles didn't then use a 1st, a 3rd and 100 million dollars to acquire a WR the year after drafting a first round WR the year after drafting a first round WR.

Ya. This completely misses the point I was trying to get across.

5 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

This is from 2021 but it still paints a pretty clear picture. Teams use 3 WR's, 1 TE, and 1 RB sets(11 personnel) 61% of the time. Teams go 10 personnel 2% of the time and 1 TE and no RB's 1% of the time.

You are considering production which is pointless when your just trying to get the best 11 guys on the field at one time. Having 4 threats on the field at once > 3.

You are assuming Hopkins would get #4 WR on the depth chart snaps. He wouldn't. He would be starting as soon as Keenan or Mike get injured, and that's not an if, it's a when.

It's also not crazy to make Quinton Johnson #4 on the depth chart just because he was a 1st round pick. Woopty do. He'll be #4 and stfu about it until he starts next year.

Edited by Jeezla

2 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

If we signed Hopkins for 1 year and he left would we get a comp pick? 

If so a double bonus on top of him being a mercenary 

Would depend on who we signed in FA the year he left

Just now, Jeezla said:

You are assuming Hopkins would get #4 WR on the depth chart snaps. He wouldn't. He would be starting as soon as Keenan or Mike get injured, and that's not an if, it's a when.

No I am assuming that the Chargers aren't willing to invest big money(I see no reason for Nuk to sign for cheat atm) into an insurance plan regardless of how likely you think the insurance plan is to be used. It would make more sense imo for them to sign a mid tier guy or count on someone who is on their roster already.

I could be wrong though and they could go for it. I just don't see it and if they do it I predict it doesn't move the needle for them. If they do sign him they need to look to move Allen or Williams but no one is going to be willing to take on those contracts imo. Their issue is they drafted and then resigned talented guys who can't stay healthy.

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

No I am assuming that the Chargers aren't willing to invest big money(I see no reason for Nuk to sign for cheat atm) into an insurance plan regardless of how likely you think the insurance plan is to be used. It would make more sense imo for them to sign a mid tier guy or count on someone who is on their roster already.

I could be wrong though and they could go for it. I just don't see it and if they do it I predict it doesn't move the needle for them. If they do sign him they need to look to move Allen or Williams but no one is going to be willing to take on those contracts imo. Their issue is they drafted and then resigned talented guys who can't stay healthy.

he's not an insurance plan, he would start over Quinton.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

The point is, they have an oft injured WR1, and oft injured WR2, and a rookie from TCU.

Right. They have $40 mil and a first rounder invested into their current WR's and they are all under contract through 2025.

But yes lets pay 16 mil+(I assume he will get at least the OBJ contract with that number. Same age) to another WR who hasn't played in 16 games in two seasons.

I feel crazy that somehow I am the one being dogged for this opinion when it seems so completely obvious LOL. The Chargers already addressed their WR issue in the draft when they spent a first on their guy lol.

15 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Right. They have $40 mil and a first rounder invested into their current WR's and they are all under contract through 2025.

But yes lets pay 16 mil+(I assume he will get at least the OBJ contract with that number. Same age) to another WR who hasn't played in 16 games in two seasons.

I feel crazy that somehow I am the one being dogged for this opinion when it seems so completely obvious LOL. The Chargers already addressed their WR issue in the draft when they spent a first on their guy lol.

I ain't dogging your opinion, I'm dogging you dogging my opinion that the Chargers make sense.

It doesn't matter how much money they have tied up in Keenan and Mike. They never have both available when they need them most. They drafted a WR in the 1st round and "addressed" the issue, but they didn't solve the issue. The Eagles drafted Jordan Davis and addressed DT, but it wasn't solved until we signed Suh and that other guy. And that's with Hargrave and Cox playing way more than Keenan and Mike Williams will play. Saying the Chargers shouldn't sign Hopkins is like saying the Eagles shouldn't sign Aaron Donald if he was cut, because we just drafted Jalen Carter and already have Jordan Davis and Cox.

Edited by Jeezla

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

In what way does this relate to anything I have said?

AZ_Eaglesfan - Chargers addressed WR in the draft

downundermike - Eagles used a 1st the following year, then a 1st and 3rd and 100 million the following year after addressing WR in the draft with a TCU WR.

AZ_Eaglesfan - I'm confused

FF Eagles fans - We know

Just now, downundermike said:

AZ_Eaglesfan - Chargers addressed WR in the draft

downundermike - Eagles used a 1st the following year, then a 1st and 3rd and 100 million the following year after addressing WR in the draft with a TCU WR.

AZ_Eaglesfan - I'm confused

FF Eagles fans - We know

Are you even reading what I am writing or is typing  "lol TCU WR" a good enough troll for you? 

My entire point was based around how the NFL is an 11 personnel league and spending $55 mil+ and a first round pick in one season on 4 WR's is a bad investment. Now go ahead and explain to me how the Eagles drafting Reagor three years ago relates to this point at all.