The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

On 6/7/2023 at 12:08 AM, Nabbs4u said:

Hard to believe we are were we are, 4 years removed from Wentz signing his $128M deal.

Obviously a mistake in hindsight but hell of a turn around by Howie and this current  staff afterwards! 🥃

Howie got lucky.  No one saw the Hurts surge coming.  Credit to Hurts.  Also, no one saw the Wentz implosion coming.   What I’ll give Howie credit for is the improved drafts, now all we need to see is the benefits of those nice picks the past few seasons.  Howie had a resurgence in 2016-2017 then fell on his face.  I suspect that was more due to Lurie’s meddling.  Maybe Lurie learned from those mistakes.  But yeah, Howie has done well this past year.  

I am still not 100% sold on Howie.  He has improved for sure, not a fan of the continual 1 year signings with dead cap in future years, and I want to see more picks have immediate impact.   Multiple Chiefs rookies had a major impact on the Super Bowl.

His drafting has definitely improved the last two years on paper, and we will see this year how well he has done as quite a few of those picks will be counted on to have a major impact.

• Like 1

“Lucky” lol 

Howie’s not any more or less lucky when a draft pick hits than any other GM. 

He made a conscientious decision to get a quality QB behind Wentz because Carson was mentally and physically fragile. Howie identified Hurts as a quality football player before everyone else and he gets no credit? He’s just lucky? I don’t buy it. 

Im not completely sold on Hurts but he may end up the pick of the decade. We aren’t giving the GM credit for that? 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

“Lucky” lol 

Howie’s not any more or less lucky when a draft pick hits than any other GM. 

He made a conscientious decision to get a quality QB behind Wentz because Carson was mentally and physically fragile. Howie identified Hurts as a quality football player before everyone else and he gets no credit? He’s just lucky? I don’t buy it. 

Im not completely sold on Hurts but he may end up the pick of the decade. We aren’t giving the GM credit for that? 

I think it has been said before in here.

But he/we definitely got lucky, as Hurts was not seen as nothing more than a cheap backup, and as recently as last off-season we were trying to replace him as you can see from the Watson and Wilson trade proposals. 

14 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

But he/we definitely got lucky, as Hurts was not seen as nothing more than a cheap backup, and as recently as last off-season we were trying to replace him as you can see from the Watson and Wilson trade proposals. 

And the 2020 draft, the team needed an influx of talent on both sides of the ball, coming off these stats from the 2019 WR's

Jeffery - 10 games, 43 catches for 490 yards

Agholor - 11 games, 39 catches for 363 yards

Ward - 7 games, 28 catches for 254 yards

Howie then takes an absolute bust in the first with the best WR in the class sitting on the board, and then drafts a backup QB in rd 2.  You can understand Wentz being pissed.

The fact that the draft class across the board sucked, I can 100% confirm he got lucky with Hurts.

Reagor - absolute bust

Hurts - got lucky

Taylor - ST at best but probably practice squad or gone this year

Wallace - sucks

Driscoll - will never be more than a backup

Hightower - is he even in the NFL ??

Bradley - may be the second best pick from this class

Watkins - mental midget

Tega Wanagho - is he even in the NFL ??

Toohill - is he eve in the NFL ??

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And the 2020 draft, the team needed an influx of talent on both sides of the ball, coming off these stats from the 2019 WR's

Jeffery - 10 games, 43 catches for 490 yards

Agholor - 11 games, 39 catches for 363 yards

Ward - 7 games, 28 catches for 254 yards

Howie then takes an absolute bust in the first with the best WR in the class sitting on the board, and then drafts a backup QB in rd 2.  You can understand Wentz being pissed.

The fact that the draft class across the board sucked, I can 100% confirm he got lucky with Hurts.

Reagor - absolute bust

Hurts - got lucky

Taylor - ST at best but probably practice squad or gone this year

Wallace - sucks

Driscoll - will never be more than a backup

Hightower - is he even in the NFL ??

Bradley - may be the second best pick from this class

Watkins - mental midget

Tega Wanagho - is he even in the NFL ??

Toohill - is he eve in the NFL ??

I have never had a worst time watching the draft than 2020. I couldn't for the life of me understand how a professional team do so much worse than us in this site. 

That draft scarred me for life. 

Edited by Broadway Joe
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I have never had a worst time watching the draft than 2020. I couldn't for the life of me understand how a professional team do so much worse than us in this site. 

Sure, it is partially on Carson for not stepping up, but this draft had more impact on him than the knee injury or the concussion.

1 hour ago, Broadway Joe said:

I remember just how pissed off I was during that draft. Nobody wanted us to draft Jalen Hurts, and nobody wanted us to use a 2nd round pick on a QB. Anyone that says differently I'll never believe them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

I don’t get how that is lucky more than any other pick. He identified a player he liked and took him before others did. That’s how the draft works. Every draft pick is lucky if we are being real about it. 

2 hours ago, UndyTaker said:

I remember just how pissed off I was during that draft. Nobody wanted us to draft Jalen Hurts, and nobody wanted us to use a 2nd round pick on a QB. Anyone that says differently I'll never believe them.

You are right but they got the evaluation of the player correct even though the logic might have been faulty in taking him which is why everyone hated it. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I don’t get how that is lucky more than any other pick. He identified a player he liked and took him before others did. That’s how the draft works. Every draft pick is lucky if we are being real about it. 

Exactly! I'm sure Seattle wasn't "Lucky" at all when they drafted the LOB, Bobby Wagner and or Russell Wilson? That was sheer genius and foresight on thier parts. 👌

Whether we lucked into a FQB in the 2nd rd after wasting millions and draft capital on Carson Wentz is a mute point. Howie and Doug wanted Jalen Hurts and drafted him.

Whether they foresaw Wentz becoming a walking punch line after that draft or not. 

I say this as one of the biggest Wentz supporters in this forum and a person who hated the Hurts pick "at that time".

However that is why I'm not the GM , HC or in player personnel working inside the Novacare Complex. A person who must of seen exactly what occured to Carsons fragile ego post Nick Foles SB and ACL injury.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

But Jalen specifically turned out extremely lucky for the Eagles because even they didnt evaluate Jalen to turn out to be the QB he is today at the age he is now. When they drafted Jalen he was thought to be used in a 2 QB system. They took Wentz off the field and put Jalen in, essentially as a wildcat player. This was the level that the team thought of Jalen at the time. He was thought as a QB with one of the lowest ceilings coming out of college because of his lack of throwing ability. The Patriots got extremely lucky with Tom Brady because even they didnt think he would turn out to be the player he ended up becoming. The Colts werent lucky with Peyton Manning because he was expected to be a good to great player. You can argue semantics about well every draft pick that turns out to be a great player is lucky, but you would be ignoring the context of the situation at hand.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

It is lucky in the sense that it is not what they expected out of the pick not even years after he was in the team. It is well documented that it is not what the pick was supposed to be. Was it a successful pick? Absolutely. But the process of it is what makes it a lucky pick. 

And yes, there's plenty of others team's picks in which this has happened too. Specially Seattle. That doesn't make it not lucky for us just the same. 

Hell, I even remember Nabbs calling Seattle lucky for how Richard Sherman specifically turned out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

38 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

But Jalen specifically turned out extremely lucky for the Eagles because even they didnt evaluate Jalen to turn out to be the QB he is today at the age he is now. When they drafted Jalen he was thought to be used in a 2 QB system. They took Wentz off the field and put Jalen in, essentially as a wildcat player. This was the level that the team thought of Jalen at the time. He was thought as a QB with one of the lowest ceilings coming out of college because of his lack of throwing ability. The Patriots got extremely lucky with Tom Brady because even they didnt think he would turn out to be the player he ended up becoming. The Colts werent lucky with Peyton Manning because he was expected to be a good to great player. You can argue semantics about well every draft pick that turns out to be a great player is lucky, but you would be ignoring the context of the situation at hand.

36 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

It is lucky in the sense that it is not what they expected out of the pick not even years after he was in the team. It is well documented that it is not what the pick was supposed to be. Was it a successful pick? Absolutely. But the process of it is what makes it a lucky pick. 

And yes, there's plenty of others team's picks in which this has happened too. Specially Seattle. That doesn't make it not lucky for us just the same. 

Hell, I even remember Nabbs calling Seattle lucky for how Richard Sherman specifically turned out. 

And as mentioned above, the fact that they had a trade in place for Russell Wilson last year tells me they were not sold on Hurts being a franchise QB, even after a full year as a starter.

Very lucky how well that pick worked out.

• Like 1