The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

14 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

So you only get credit as the GM if the 1st round pick is good and everything else is just luck or coaches? Got it. 

No I mean sure, Mailata was a fantastic investment. Great use of a 7th round pick. Don’t know what that proves but okay. 

5 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

No I mean sure, Mailata was a fantastic investment. Great use of a 7th round pick. Don’t know what that proves but okay. 

Because unless they specifically draft someone with the idea they are going to be a starter, it’s just luck and therefore doesn’t count, right? 

20 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Because unless they specifically draft someone with the idea they are going to be a starter, it’s just luck and therefore doesn’t count, right? 

You seem pretty adamant to arrive to that “point”/conclusion. Don’t get what you’re trying to get to but don’t know, we would have to look at each pick. 

Talking specifically about the Hurts pick there’s plenty of evidence that shows that we got lucky with the end result. No one’s debating the success of the pick, but the process that lead to it and the actions that speak that they weren’t sold on him.  

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

The Eagles first round pick in that exact same draft undermines your argument.

Drafting is very clearly not an exact science. What does missing on one draft pick and hitting on another determine anything? Nobody hits on every pick. So are all hits lucky then? Was Smith a good pick? Or luck? There’s a very eclectic mix of components that make a prospect reach their potential and become successful. I’m fairly certain teams don’t just draft players willy-nilly. There’s usually a handful of attributes that deem a player draftable (and how high) by teams’ certain requirements. I don’t know how any one can say a 2nd round pick was lucky. Those guys are critiqued and prodded extensively. They made a good pick. A shot in the dark 7th like Mailata has some luck associated with it. But it took a team to see the potential, have the staff and patience to mold him into a good football player. 1st, 2nd and 3rd round guys are not so much different but have proven the ability more frequently or much more effectively. They mostly all need some fine tuning, no? A team that recognizes those players, and other teams don’t, should get more credit. Not diminished by simply calling it luck. 

9 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

So the hits are just lucky by your logic. 

2021 was a good draft, well scouted and not luck.  You can tell this by having two immediate starters and a bunch of contributors.

2020 was a bad draft, obviously horribly scouted, entire class sucked outside of Hurts, so I say the Hurts pick was lucky as the entire philosophy that year lead to an almost totally wasted class.

You guys always have to make it about bashing or hating on, “all good picks are luck”. Has to be black or white.

I already said why Smitty wasn’t a lucky pick and a good one and why Hurts was a lucky one.

We just saw how much Howie himself offered Seattle for Russell Wilson with Hurts obviously part of the deal and Wilson turned us down. It ended up working great for us and not for him. How is that not luck?

That doesn’t mean all his moves are lucky nor that he doesn’t do good things. But we’re talking about this particular pick. 

Every team has their lucky breaks, it happens all the time. Even Bill Bellichick has.

31 minutes ago, downundermike said:

2021 was a good draft, well scouted and not luck.  You can tell this by having two immediate starters and a bunch of contributors.

2020 was a bad draft, obviously horribly scouted, entire class sucked outside of Hurts, so I say the Hurts pick was lucky as the entire philosophy that year lead to an almost totally wasted class.

Just because Howie’s hit rate isn’t good doesn’t mean he gets lucky when he hits. He just happens to be subpar at drafting. It doesn’t correlate. 

As much as you dislike him or his GMing, he’s still a professional. Are we doubting Howie doesn’t put in his work and his staff just loafed it that year or something? The logic doesn’t make sense. Just like every other GM in the league, they’re going to have WTF years.