The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

12 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I ain't dogging your opinion, I'm dogging you dogging my opinion that the Chargers make sense.

It doesn't matter how much money they have tied up in Keenan and Mike. They never have both available when they need them most. They drafted a WR in the 1st round and "addressed" the issue, but they didn't solve the issue. The Eagles drafted Jordan Davis and addressed DT, but it wasn't solved until we signed Suh and that other guy. And that's with Hargrave and Cox playing way more than Keenan and Mike Williams will play.

Pretty massive difference in signing role players on the cheap midseason(post Marlon injury) and investing in a top tier FA when you expect one of your other premier investments to sit as an insurance plan.

It would be more comparable for the Chargers to go into the season with their guys and look to sign who is left after one of their guys is hurt no? That would make a lot more sense to me.

5 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Pretty massive difference in signing role players on the cheap midseason(post Marlon injury) and investing in a top tier FA when you expect one of your other premier investments to sit as an insurance plan.

It would be more comparable for the Chargers to go into the season with their guys and look to sign who is left after one of their guys is hurt no? That would make a lot more sense to me.

What makes more sense to me is giving you star QB as many weapons as possible, especially if you don't have to give up any draft capitol to make it happen.

I bet there's also a pretty massive difference in the amount of starter snaps the Chargers #3 and #4 WR's play compared to average #3 and #4 WR's over the last 2 seasons.

Edited by Jeezla

4 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Are you even reading what I am writing or is typing  "lol TCU WR" a good enough troll for you? 

My entire point was based around how the NFL is an 11 personnel league and spending $55 mil+ and a first round pick in one season on 4 WR's is a bad investment. Now go ahead and explain to me how the Eagles drafting Reagor three years ago relates to this point at all.

One more time

Williams - missed multiple games over the last 3 seasons

Allen - missed multiple games over the last 3 seasons

Johnston - unproven WR from TCU

Hopkins - would have an opportunity to play significant snaps, and produce huge numbers.

And I do not know where you came up with 55 million.  Williams cap hit 13.5 million, Allen cap hit, 12.7 million, Johnston cap hit 2.6 million, total of 28.8 million.  Are you saying they are going to pay Hopkins 26.2 million ??

Just now, Jeezla said:

What makes more sense to me is giving you star QB as many weapons as possible, especially if you don't have to give up any draft capitol to make it happen.

Ya my point is I think the Chargers feel as if they have done that already lol. If they DON'T feel that way that is a whole other issue and imo would mean they are moving one of the guys they have now(which would be the only way that move would make sense to me).

Clearly we have discussed this to death at this point. Let's just see what happens. If he signs for the Chargers I don't think it moves the needle for them at all and wouldn't like the move.

5 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I bet there's also a pretty massive difference in the amount of snaps the Chargers #3 and #4 WR's play compared to average #3 and #4 WR's over the last 2 seasons.

That is a hell of a point I was just going to make.

Joshua Palmer, Chargers #3 WR played 898 snaps, which ranked 18th in the NFL.

DeAndre Carter, Chargers #4 WR played 698 snaps, which ranked 51st in the NFL.

It's almost like the Chargers need a stud WR seeing as their 3rd and 4th play so much due to injures to 1st and 2nd.

11 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Ya my point is I think the Chargers feel as if they have done that already lol. If they DON'T feel that way that is a whole other issue and imo would mean they are moving one of the guys they have now(which would be the only way that move would make sense to me).

Clearly we have discussed this to death at this point. Let's just see what happens. If he signs for the Chargers I don't think it moves the needle for them at all and wouldn't like the move.

Nah, you roll with Keenan and Hop outside, Mike Williams in the slot, and Quinton occasionally rotating in for 1 season to make your QB happy and guarantee you aren't starting Quinton Johnson and Josh Palmer in your playoff game against Pat or Joe or Josh. Let Keenan go after the season, roll with Hop/Williams/Johnson in '24. Wouldn't be surprised if Keenan drops a tier this year, and looks more like current Adam Theilan.

Edited by Jeezla

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Keenan Allen is a slot WR.

You roll with Keenan in the slot, Hop and Mike outside, with Johnson subbing in when Mike or Keenan or Hop go down or the Chargers are just going to run.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

One more time

Williams - missed multiple games over the last 3 seasons

Allen - missed multiple games over the last 3 seasons

Johnston - unproven WR from TCU

Hopkins - would have an opportunity to play significant snaps, and produce huge numbers.

And I do not know where you came up with 55 million.  Williams cap hit 13.5 million, Allen cap hit, 12.7 million, Johnston cap hit 2.6 million, total of 28.8 million.  Are you saying they are going to pay Hopkins 26.2 million ??

Glad we can admit that your Reagor posting was nothing more than a terrible troll. Good stuff.

I didn't look at cap hits. I looked at contract value. Should have specified that. The exact cap hit doesn't matter anyways teams will make the cap work if they want their guy. I am assuming Hopkins is going to make at least what OBJ got, likely more and probably a longer deal.

And right. Your point is that they have two guys who have been hurt and a rookie WR. So now they need to add a 30 year old WR who hasn't played in 16 games in two seasons as well? If the Chargers are looking at their WR core and thinking they need to add this type of player to their roster their GM has messed up badly lol. They need to hope the guys they have can get on the field and produce at a high enough level(they are 7th and 4th in total offense the past two years btw). If they can't do that the issue is the players that they extended.... doubling down on more money at the position just hurts them more long term.

15 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am assuming Hopkins is going to make at least what OBJ got, likely more and probably a longer deal.

I'm not. OBJ got way overpaid because Lamar requested for OBJ. I don't think other QB's are threatening to hold out if their owner doesn't sign D Hop for w/e he's demanding. He deserves more than OBJ, but I don't think he'll get it.

Edited by Jeezla

4 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Yeah I understand that part was just curious if he would count towards comp picks since he was cut from Arizona. 

As long as we don't cut him, he would count towards our comp picks assuming another team signed him for more than vet minimum, and also I think they have to sign him before a certain date? Because Az did cut him, they won't get any comp pick for him, no matter how crazy his contract is or how well he plays. 

Edited by Jeezla

Doesn't the FA have to sign with another team before like week 1 of the preseason too, for it to count towards the comp formula? I think the day is earlier than week 1 of preseason, but I don't know which day or if I'm actually right.

I think if we signed Hopkins for 1 season, then he hits Free agency, but doesn't sign with a new team until like 2 weeks before the season starts, we would get nothing, regardless of the deal size or how well he plays/awards he gets, but I might be mistaken. 

Edited by Jeezla

24 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Yeah I understand that part was just curious if he would count towards comp picks since he was cut from Arizona. 

20 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

As long as we don't cut him, he would count towards our comp picks assuming another team signed him for more than vet minimum, and also I think they have to sign him before a certain date? Because Az did cut him, they won't get any comp pick for him, no matter how crazy his contract is or how well he plays. 

He does not count towards the comp pick formula what so ever since he was cut.