The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

If you’re going to say the Eagles were lucky Hurts turned out to be as good as they THOUGHT he’d be. Sure. 

But just to assume the premise that the Eagles were “lucky” because Hurts ended up being good undermines all the scouting and evaluation every front office does every draft year. It’s silly. 

I mean, I’ll happily concede the discussion if we have a forum-wide agreement that every 2nd round pick and out is “lucky” because he turned out to be a really good starter. Are we just to assume every player drafted is a finished product? Clearly, Hurts wasn’t. He didn’t warrant a 1st round pick because he needed some work. Was it not the FOs foresight that saw Hurts and his skills and maybe said to themselves, “yea, that guy needs some incubation but he has starter and beyond potential.”? Is it safe to assume that [insert random team] said to themselves, “yea, he’s ok but not worth even a 4.”? Probably. So, does it really have anything to do with luck at all? Every pick, from Smith to Mailata has had evaluations and had a number assigned to them relative to their abilities, development and current skills. It’s not just a bingo letter called at a legion hall. There’s strategy and piles of eval that goes on. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

But just to assume the premise that the Eagles were “lucky” because Hurts ended up being good undermines all the scouting and evaluation every front office does every draft year. It’s silly. 

The Eagles first round pick in that exact same draft undermines your argument.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

All picks are lucky. If you are going to crush someone for Reagor but not give them credit for Hurts because it was lucky is a very biased take. The hits are hits and the misses are misses 

Come on, also the Reagor pick was a bad decision from day one. We had the Vikings FO laughing that we passed on Jefferson, and we also had the opportunity to trade up for Lamb. We did the worst of the three options. 

I mean the 2020 draft was looking bad at the end of day 1, at the end of day 2 it was a disaster. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Come on, also the Reagor pick was a bad decision from day one. We had the Vikings FO laughing that we passed on Jefferson, and we also had the opportunity to trade up for Lamb. We did the worst of the three options. 

I mean the 2020 draft was looking bad at the end of day 1, at the end of day 2 it was a disaster. 

AT THE TIME, Trading up for Lamb was the right move. Without a doubt.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

It was but that doesn’t make the pick for Hurts any luckier. They made the picks they made 

48 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

All picks are lucky. If you are going to crush someone for Reagor but not give them credit for Hurts because it was lucky is a very biased take. The hits are hits and the misses are misses 

If lucky means finding a franchise QB in the second round I am good with being lucky I guess.

People can frame things however they want, but when the argument is the bad picks are due to incompetence and the good ones are just "luck" it definitely feels like your argument is biased. The draft is a lot of things. Every pick is a bit of skill and a bit of luck... just the nature of the beast.

But like I say when I play golf... if these are the results I guess I would rather be lucky than good.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

It was but that doesn’t make the pick for Hurts any luckier. They made the picks they made 

For sure they made the pick, that’s not up for debate. 

But the fact that not only was he drafted to be a cheap backup, the FO was aggressively looking to replace him as recently as last offseason tell us that we got lucky. 

For example, Smitty was a good pick the FO deserves full credit even if he busted for his weight or whatever, he was a good prospect and you knew what they wanted from him. With Hurts you can’t say the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Broadway Joe said:

For sure they made the pick, that’s not up for debate. 

But the fact that not only was he drafted to be a cheap backup, the FO was aggressively looking to replace him as recently as last offseason tell us that we got lucky. 

For example, Smitty was a good pick the FO deserves full credit even if he busted for his weight or whatever, he was a good prospect and you knew what they wanted from him. With Hurts you can’t say the same.

So do they not get credit for Mailata because he was never supposed to be a starter? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UndyTaker said:

But Jalen specifically turned out extremely lucky for the Eagles because even they didnt evaluate Jalen to turn out to be the QB he is today at the age he is now. When they drafted Jalen he was thought to be used in a 2 QB system

Couldn't you say the same thing about Russell Wilson being drafted in the 3rd? Wasn't Matt Flynn signed to that contract in hopes of being thier Starter?

You going to sit here and pretend Seattle knew what Wilson would become? Knew he was going to be the 2012 Starter the minute they drafted him and a SB winner within two years? Every pick is a crapshoot, including 1st rders. Every rd after has a bit of luck to it, let's be real.

Still doesn't take away from the GM and scouting staff that suggested said players should be drafted.

Edited by Nabbs4u

26 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Couldn't you say the same thing about Russell Wilson being drafted in the 3rd? Wasn't Matt Flynn signed to that contract in hopes of being thier Starter?

You going to sit here and pretend Seattle knew what Wilson would become? Knew he was going to be the 2012 Starter the minute they drafted him and a SB winner within two years? Every pick is a crapshoot, including 1st rders. Every rd after has a bit of luck to it, let's be real.

Still doesn't take away from the GM and scouting staff that suggested said players should be drafted.

Of course they got lucky and you can say the same thing about them! Had they seen him as a day one starter they would have drafted him with their first round. It’s the same argument you made when discussing Richard Sherman years back. Hell, shame on Andy/Howie for not being aggressive with the prospect they supposedly loved.

I don’t get how the Seahawks being lucky also has anything to do with the Eagles. Teams get lucky every draft, every game. I remember Phire saying something like. It’s incredible the amount of luck that goes into a championship team. Years before we had our own. 

I used to say “why is it never us?” That we get the Antonio Browns, Russell Wilson, Tony Romos, James Harrison. Well finally we got one. Nothing wrong with acknowledging sometimes you fail upwards. I know if it was another team you’d say the same thing.

Edited by Broadway Joe
  • Like 1