The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

18 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I am not panicked in the slightest.  The writing was on the wall before the season ended that the Eagles will regress in 2023 due to talent erosion.

The defense will probably regress, yes. But I'm optimistic given that the offense will remain intact. In fact, I'm kind of hopeful that the team says it is what it is when it comes to the losses on defense and doubles down on offense. Get a RB that can play 3 downs. Upgrade the WR3 spot. Get another TE for Stoutland and Sirianni to play with. Draft a CB/T/EDGE in the top 15. Beat up the NFC again. Doesnt' seem crazy to me.

2 minutes ago, eagles91 said:

The defense will probably regress, yes. But I'm optimistic given that the offense will remain intact. In fact, I'm kind of hopeful that the team says it is what it is when it comes to the losses on defense and doubles down on offense. Get a RB that can play 3 downs. Upgrade the WR3 spot. Get another TE for Stoutland and Sirianni to play with. Draft a CB/T/EDGE in the top 15. Beat up the NFC again. Doesnt' seem crazy to me.

Gonna have to beef up the offense, might need to average 30+ PPG to win 10 or more games.

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Gonna have to beef up the offense, might need to average 30+ PPG to win 10 or more games.

We averaged 28pts a game last year, it's not that far fetched TBH.

Overall health will be the biggest factor as it always is.

22 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Is Slay butt hurt over a contract extension? The fact Wilson left and was passed over? What am I missing?

I think that is has 0 to do with Wilson and all about $. They were probably working on an extension and are far apart. I imagine this is a negotiating ploy. It certainly is not great, but I personally think he won't actually get traded.

1 hour ago, Broadway Joe said:

I can't believe we are still relying on Graham after all this time and resources. I have been ready to see him go for a while but we find a way to still need him.

He had a good year this past year. No issues with this.

50 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

It's just hard for me to buy into panic posts on March 10th. Let's just see how it plays out. 

I personally am not at the point of panic, but I do look at the sheer amount of talent we're prone to lose and looking at the assets we have to possibly replenish and it is a cause for concern. Do I think we are a trash tier defense next year? No. However I do think we are going to regress on defense notably next year. Howie may very well fix everything up with magic tricks as he has before, but there's admittedly a lot to fix.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

I personally am not at the point of panic, but I do look at the sheer amount of talent we're prone to lose and looking at the assets we have to possibly replenish and it is a cause for concern. Do I think we are a trash tier defense next year? No. However I do think we are going to regress on defense notably next year. Howie may very well fix everything up with magic tricks as he has before, but there's admittedly a lot to fix.

My hopes for defense are this: 

Gannon is gone. Hopefully we can run a scheme that might be statistically worse but more effective at actually getting stops vs good teams. Our defense was star studded last season and still got absolutely worked by any decent QB we faced. Coaching matters.

Our offense is set. I see no reason to expect regression on that side of the ball. We can use almost all of our ammo to refill on defense. Let Dean step in as a starter and hope that Davis can show some progress in year 2 with another offseason to work on conditioning and weight. Sure we won't have as many high tier starters, but with our offense we shouldn't need to be a top 5 defense to win a lot of football games.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

We averaged 28pts a game last year, it's not that far fetched TBH.

Overall health will be the biggest factor as it always is.

I disagree only because the defense creating so many short fields. This year the time of possession could easily come back to earth and the offense could be on the sidelines far longer than they were this year. I think the offensive play won't plummet or anything, but the defense won't be breaking sack records, and getting so many turnovers that the offense can have an average day and still when by 17. The defense for 2022 is extremely underrated due to the Superbowl performance 

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

He had a good year this past year. No issues with this.

He finally did, no doubt. And it is not a bad move, long gone are the Banner days in which franchise great Eagles players (or solid in this case) would leave too early and had us in tears. Now we are taking care of our own and I like that. Sadly that only applies if you are one of Howie's guys, if you are not (Malcolm Jenkins) then you are out. 

Having said that, I hope he retires after the year. 

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

If Slay and Bradberry are both gone though. Pretty much guarantees our first pick has to be a Corner right? 

Whether it's at 10 or at 13-17.

Or it guarantees everyone jumps us on draft day like it has happened before. 

Edited by Broadway Joe

6 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Been saying that what made last off season good is that we fell *** backwards into two pro bowl level starters late in the off season. I don't expect us to be so lucky again this year. 

We did not fall *** backwards into anyone - stop being so dramatic. 

• Like 2