The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

5 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I don't think we were counting on those players to be available, specially CJGJ pretty much one week before the start of the season.

We did not fall *** backwards into anyone - that is ridiculous. You can criticize Howie all you want but saying he/we fell *** backwards into players is coming off a bit cry-babish, which I guess is on par for the wave of this forum. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I don't think we were counting on those players to be available, specially CJGJ pretty much one week before the start of the season.

The funny thing is that you just can't know. No one can except the FO. You are simply choosing to pick the reality that fits your narrative and running with it. You have no clue how many teams Howie was talking to about trading for a Safety and who those players were. The Bradberry cut was extremely obvious very early into the offseason last year though so it is super odd you are attributing that to luck when in reality we very likely were waiting for the Giants to let him go seeing as how we spent no money and draft capital on the position.

It is the same as the people insinuating we have no chance of fielding a talented defense. None of us have a clue what moves we are going to make. We don't know who we will bring in or what Howie has planned. Ya, regression is likely, but writing it off as a forgone conclusion three days before you can even talk to FA's comes off as an overreaction whether you agree or not.

20 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

We did not fall *** backwards into anyone - stop being so dramatic. 

We were fortunate that the Giants decides to for some reason cut James Bradberry. But kudos to Howie for bringing him in. That's the kind of move I'd be surprised if we can expect to replicate this coming offseason.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Danger said:

We were fortunate that the Giants decides to for some reason cut James Bradberry. But kudos to Howie for bringing him in. That's the kind of move I'd be surprised if we can expect to replicate this coming offseason.

I don't know if we'll be able to replicate it either but saying we fell *** backwards is downplaying what Howie was able to - it's not surprising given the source of the comment but you don't just luck into players signing with you. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I hate this time of the year. 

I honestly love this time of year. Love the FA and draft build up. I get people are frustrated at the idea of taking a step back because we wont be able to field the same team that was on the cusp of winning a SB.

That said Im actually excited about the POSSIBILITY of Howie/Eagles doing what we havnt been doing, and thats investing multiple premium assets into the defense. I dont mind the idea of biting the bullet for a year and rolling out young, talented, and cheap players. Lets see what Dean, Davis, and 2 to 3 other high round rookies can do. All while trying to fix our dead cap situation for future years.

8 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

I honestly love this time of year. Love the FA and draft build up. I get people are frustrated at the idea of taking a step back because we wont be able to field the same team that was on the cusp of winning a SB.

That said Im actually excited about the POSSIBILITY of Howie/Eagles doing what we havnt been doing, and thats investing multiple premium assets into the defense. I dont mind the idea of biting the bullet for a year and rolling out young, talented, and cheap players. Lets see what Dean, Davis, and 2 to 3 other high round rookies can do. All while trying to fix our dead cap situation for future years.

You should head over to the mock draft forum.  The TCMD I am a part of is insane.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

If Slay and Bradberry are both gone though. Pretty much guarantees our first pick has to be a Corner right? 

Whether it's at 10 or at 13-17.

I know one guarantee I’m willing to make.  We won’t be picking at 10 and 30.  No chance a Howie stands pat.  

54 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The funny thing is that you just can't know. No one can except the FO. You are simply choosing to pick the reality that fits your narrative and running with it. You have no clue how many teams Howie was talking to about trading for a Safety and who those players were. The Bradberry cut was extremely obvious very early into the offseason last year though so it is super odd you are attributing that to luck when in reality we very likely were waiting for the Giants to let him go seeing as how we spent no money and draft capital on the position.

It is the same as the people insinuating we have no chance of fielding a talented defense. None of us have a clue what moves we are going to make. We don't know who we will bring in or what Howie has planned. Ya, regression is likely, but writing it off as a forgone conclusion three days before you can even talk to FA's comes off as an overreaction whether you agree or not.

What narrative? Why are you so defensive with this?

I mean those players were did not arrive on their own, there's credit for actually making those trades above someone else, but there's definitely luck involved because coming out of the draft once again empty handed in regards of a CB was questionable at best as much as you can see Bradberry being cut.

Let's not act like the guy can't do no wrong and say things like "have faith in Howie" stuff like that. I'm not hating as you incessantly claim, I give plenty of credit for what he does right and criticize the things he is not good at. Even things like he sucks at drafting you feel the need to defend. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

To your point, even a supremely talented defense lost the Superbowl. This thinking will sound backwards, but I think a less talented defense that simply takes a more disciplined approach to defending motion concepts and implementing disguised blitz packages is better off. A lot riding on Desai. But there is no reason that a middle of the road defense that can do those two things paired with this offense shouldn't be successful. Like, if they just do something against good QBs they can run it back.

Edited by eagles91

1 hour ago, Broadway Joe said:

Been saying that what made last off season good is that we fell *** backwards into two pro bowl level starters late in the off season. I don't expect us to be so lucky again this year. 

So when a team signs and trades for players who become available, that is luck? 

17 minutes ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

I know one guarantee I’m willing to make.  We won’t be picking at 10 and 30.  No chance a Howie stands pat.  

I would hate a trade down to be honest. But with essentially a 2 day draft and with what seems to be a rebuilding year (everything but offense) coming, I don't think we will have 2 1 st rounders. Every time we had one we trade one of the two. 

Oddly enough, this team seems to be better with quality over quantity when it comes to the draft, which goes against the norm. And with our spotty draft history, I rather we go for the better prospects too. 

2 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

So when a team signs and trades for players who become available, that is luck? 

When they happen late in the season and for the positions you failed to address earlier, there's undeniably luck involved in there.

Although we had an odd run of players choosing not to play here last season, same as coaches downright rejecting us one year prior to that. 

• Like 1