Is Mayfield a first rounder???

Iamcanadian

5 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

???with his shoes off or on or did they just ask him his height rather than measure him??? I'll wait till the Combine so I know for sure he was measured, the way they have measured every QB prospect who came to the combine?

Easy on the ????s, Mr. Lesko.

lesko.jpg

Mayfield's hard to judge because he throws to wide open guys from a scheme that typically has him dropped back or rolled out away from pressure. That also explains the lack of batted balls.

It's hard to picture the transition to tight window throws in a murky pocket, even if has the requisite arm strength, accuracy, touch etc, because in the offense he plays in, he really doesn't have to do that much.

It doesn't mean he can't do it, but it's not an evaluation like Josh Rosen where he's clearly going through progressions whilst sat in the middle of the pocket with little mobility.

Some things I noticed from watching Mayfield closely against TCU

His height may not be an issue after all.  His O line is huge, and I did not notice him have any balls batted down.  He also seemed to slide in the pocket well, keeping his eyes downfield.  (That happened to be a trait that I liked in Kizer as a prospect)  He also has the ability to scramble, and even run when necessary.  His body is "stocky" which makes me think that he can take NFL punishment.  I think I am warming up to him, but still would have him behind Darnold, and possibly Rosen.

Is Mayfield a first rounder? Absolutely. Why? arm, pocket presence, legs, accuracy, on-field leadership, etc.

What part of the first? late. Why? Attitude, height, off-field issues, unorthodox playing style.

Let's be real here... If he was 6'3 and didn't have the off (and on) field issues he'd be top 3 maybe #1.

12 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Is Mayfield a first rounder? Absolutely. Why? arm, pocket presence, legs, accuracy, on-field leadership, etc.

What part of the first? late. Why? Attitude, height, off-field issues, unorthodox playing style.

Let's be real here... If he was 6'3 and didn't have the off (and on) field issues he'd be top 3 maybe #1.

this

2 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Because we're in the position to be passing on the best QB in the draft.

Not convinced of that.

Was a huge Brees fan when he was drafted.

Don't have the same feeling about Baker.

More confident about Darnold.

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Not convinced of that.

Was a huge Brees fan when he was drafted.

Don't have the same feeling about Baker.

More confident about Darnold.

Brees wasn't as good as Mayfield the year he came out.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/drew-brees-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/baker-mayfield-1.html

39 more TDs, 16 less INTs. 2400 more yards. 7% better completion rate.

AY/A was 6.9 for Brees, 10.4 for Mayfield. 

Baker also accounted for 7 more TDs on the ground (21 vs. 14).

It is actually a slight to compare him to Brees.  He's better in every possible way.  By a large margin.

Just now, ditchdigger said:

Brees wasn't as good as Mayfield the year he came out.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/drew-brees-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/baker-mayfield-1.html

39 more TDs, 16 less INTs. 2400 more yards. 7% better completion rate.

AY/A was 6.9 for Brees, 10.4 for Mayfield. 

Baker also accounted for 7 more TDs on the ground (21 vs. 14).

It is actually a slight to compare him to Brees.  He's better in every possible way.  By a large margin.

Maybe so.

Different systems, different time.

And I think Brownieman likes him.

For me, at this point in time, that is the kiss of death.

1 minute ago, ditchdigger said:

You believe what you want.  Don't let empirical evidence change your mind.

The best empirical is what I have seen.

Rosen is the best pure passer I have seen; Darnold is the best prospect I have seen.

Archived